Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > President Trump

EM

Very sorry to learn of your health issues, but glad that you still lurk. I hope to be able to debate further with you in the future.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:32 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

"EM

Very sorry to learn of your health issues, but glad that you still lurk. I hope to be able to debate further with you in the future."

Me too EM, you keep a bunch of curmudgeons honest, especially this one.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:24 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Still around...

As Geronimo implies, this is Last of the Summer Wine for Climate. Though as a Lancastrian I take no pleasure in saying that.

At the end of the day, this place should be a way of expressing yourself for your own pleasure. Of course, I do not believe the world is going to fry, or even if it is, that we can do anything about it. So my emotional investment is in different places (I cannot put myself in those alarmist shoes). As in my ego. I'm actually I nice guy ;-)

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

and still making stupid typos...

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe later, when the spots and the itching have gone.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:58 PM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

Jiminy where've you been? I'm glad to see you back, it's not everyday you come across someone who lived less than 300 yards away from you, although not at the same time. So I worried when you stopped posting.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:24 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Something is happening in Sweden:
"The Muslim Brotherhood is creating a 'parallel social structure' in Sweden with the help of 'political elites' who foster a culture of silence, a damning government report has found.
The document claims that the Brotherhood is building a 'parallel society' within the Scandinavian country, which can help the Islamist group to achieve its ends.
Founded in 1826, the Muslim Brotherhood aims to organise Muslims politically in order to create a global, Sunni Islamic Caliphate.
The group is arguably the largest Islamist organisation in the world and has in the past been linked to mainstream Islamic institutions, including to the Muslim Council of Britain.
The organisation has been accused of fostering links to militants and is classed as a terrorist organisation by the governments of Bahrain, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates."

DailyMail: The Muslim Brotherhood is creating a 'parallel social structure' in Sweden, aided by 'political elites' making it impossible to criticise Islam, government report admits

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM | Robert Christopher

I bet they don't even like ABBA either. Singing Dancing Queen might contravene Sharia Law.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:47 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Scott Pruitt, the new head of EPA, has moved to stock the top offices of the agency with like-minded conservatives — many of them skeptics of climate change and all of them intent on rolling back environmental regulations that they see as overly intrusive and harmful to business.
GWPF: New EPA Head Stacks Agency With Climate Sceptics

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

At the National Center for Science Education, we know that science sometimes addresses controversial issues. It’s no surprise to us that scientific findings can trigger fierce disagreement. We’ve devoted over thirty years to making sure that science teachers have the expertise and support they need to teach about evolution and climate change, even when there are people in their communities who object.
JoNova: Go NCSE “March for Science” — Rage for Cliches!

Two world faiths, taught as if they were Sciences, I bet!

The article's comments are good too.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:34 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:34 PM | Robert Christopher

To demonstrate great confidence in their beliefs in Climate Science, 97% of them should march off somewhere where they won't be noticed, and then go on indefinite strike. I know the developed world will be very grateful, and the under developed world will be eager to catch up.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:02 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Ezra Levant of Rebel Media in Israel discussing "Israel's security wall: A model for America?". Not really offering an opinion on that. Just my dark sense of humor when the Colonel is asked who are the 20-30 people per week who make attempts to cross the wall into Israel? Answer: Criminals, Illegal workers, and Women running away from their husbands/families.

Happy international women's day to all desperate Palestinian women. I don't suppose the BBC picked up on that one.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:31 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Happy international women's day to all desperate Palestinian women. I don't suppose the BBC picked up on that one.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:31 AM | michael hart

Sadly, I don't think they will be letting their hair down, and dancing in the street.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:26 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

<OFFTOPIC>
Hi Geronimo
"Last of the Summer Wine"... should perhaps be "Last of me Mam's Scouse" (though I never liked it)

I took my teenage sons back to Liverpool for the first time a couple of years back. Couldn't get tickets for the match, but found when I visited my old school, Anfield Road Infants, LFC were using for corporate hospitality. "Sons, imagine a snotty nosed kid in hand me downs, tearing around this place."

We didn't bother with Wainwright Street as it isn't there of course any more. We visited the ancestral homes of the McCabes and close relations (Albert Edward Road/Empress Road in Kensington). Then Tuebrook (September Road), where we moved after Wainwright Street. Took them to Stanley docks to see were Granddad worked. And of course lots of places in between. The Anglican Cathedral was magical. The new Museum was all PC and no soul or warmth.

</OFFTOPIC>

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

I go back every year for my birthday and meet with schoolboy friends from L8. (We moved from Clarendon to Beaumont Street). It's like I've never been away. (/off topic).

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

President Trump emasculates the EPA

The EPA’s so-called “Waters of the United States” rule is one of the worst examples of federal regulation, and it has truly run amok, and is one of the rules most strongly opposed by farmers, ranchers and agricultural workers all across our land. It's prohibiting them from being allowed to do what they're supposed to be doing. It's been a disaster.

The Clean Water Act says that the EPA can regulate “navigable waters” -- meaning waters that truly affect interstate commerce. But a few years ago, the EPA decided that “navigable waters” can mean nearly every puddle or every ditch on a farmer's land, or anyplace else that they decide -- right? It was a massive power grab. The EPA’s regulators were putting people out of jobs by the hundreds of thousands, and regulations and permits started treating our wonderful small farmers and small businesses as if they were a major industrial polluter. They treated them horribly. Horribly.

If you want to build a new home, for example, you have to worry about getting hit with a huge fine if you fill in as much as a puddle -- just a puddle -- on your lot. I've seen it. In fact, when it was first shown to me, I said, no, you're kidding aren’t you? But they weren’t kidding.

In one case in a Wyoming, a rancher was fined $37,000 a day by the EPA for digging a small watering hole for his cattle. His land. These abuses were, and are, why such incredible opposition to this rule from the hundreds of organizations took place in all 50 states. It's a horrible, horrible rule. Has sort of a nice name, but everything else is bad. (Laughter.) I've been hearing about it for years and years. I didn’t know I'd necessarily be in this position to do something about it, but we've been hearing about it for years.

With today’s executive order, I’m directing the EPA to take action, paving the way for the elimination of this very destructive and horrible rule.

So I want to thank everybody for being here. And I will sign wherever I'm supposed to sign. There we are. Thank you very much. (Applause.)

END
2:27 P.M. EST

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:00 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

The link expired. Here is the same thing on Youtube

President Trump emasculates the EPA

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:51 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

An in depth analysis of Europe from an American:
Breitbart: European Nations Are ‘Reeling from the Effects of Unassimilated Muslims in Their Midst’, by Frank Gaffney

A retort from a European to a superficial analysis of Europe from America
Breitbart: Hungary Responds to New York Times Coverage of Migrant Crisis: ‘You Just Don’t Get It’

It looks like Europe and the US have similar problems to solve:
Echoing President Donald J. Trump’s statement that “a nation without borders if not a nation”, Kovács asserted: “If you don’t have a border, as they say, you don’t have a country.”

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:43 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:00 PM | Martin A

The EPA are firmly opposed to Trump's Swamp Draining proposals, they prefer to maintain toxic waste in super high concentrations.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:11 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Martin A. Such accidents are not uncommon and mine waste spillages don't even require accidents. I used to take undergraduates to Wheal Jane Mine, near Falmouth where, in 1992, there was a major outflow of contaminated waters that flowed into and contaminated the Fal Estuary. Interestingly, the vast majority of the continued outflow is treated by application of lime, other chemicals and large settling ponds. A more ecological treatment, which was given much hype by Greens, was only able to treat c. 5% of the waterflow (its a long time since I visited and this memory may be slightly off). A brochure available at the time used almost all of its content to discuss the Green methods used at the site.
I understand that a similar system is being introduced at Force Crag mine near Keswick. Probably also doomed to failure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26573994

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Martin A & Supertroll,

the (latest) US EPA fiasco was discussed here, and it does seem that the EPA has gone very quiet about their mistakes, whereas they would have pursued others for $million$. The new boss of the EPA may be considering where legal liability does lie.

Are most of the toxic chemicals that leak out of these mines naturally occurring, that have accumulated due to the holes made by mining, or are they chemicals/compounds/metals that have been introduced by miners, and then abandoned to decay/react/rust/oxidise etc?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Golf Charlie. The chemicals released are natural. Before mining, minerals containing the metals of concern (mostly sulphides) were perfectly stable in contact with their anoxic and reducing groundwaters. Opening up mines exposes these minerals to oxygen and the sulphides oxidize releasing the toxic metals. So long as the mine is active, the groundwaters are excluded from the workings by wells that pump away the groundwater lowering the groundwater level. When the mine is abandoned, the pumps stop withdrawing groundwater and the mine floods. The inflowing grounwater dissolves the oxidized sulphides. Eventually the grounwaters may force their way out of the mine, carrying their pollution with them. Simples!

The pollution continues until the oxidized minerals are completely dissolved. Ancient mines never release metal pollutants because the technology to mine beneath the water table had not been developed. Thus they could only mine already long-oxidized ores.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll