So President Obama has a new climate plan out and his fans in the BBC are getting very excited about it. The main thing seems to be a requirement for states to formulate climate plans, but not for a while. There is an even longer delay before they have to implement them.
Here are my impressions:
- The main objective is to make climate change an wedge issue in the next round of elections.
- The delays will make them more acceptable to the states.
- The planwill make only a tiny fraction of a degree of a difference to global temperatures at the end of the century.
- The US is halfway to the new target already on the back of the shale gas revolution.
- The new rules are put in place by executive order and can therefore be removed just as easily.
I'm not sure this amounts to a particularly large hill of beans.