Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Are Geological Paleo-Climate Records Relevant to The Climate Debate?

Alan Kendall & Paul Dennis

Thank you for your continued responses and explanations!

It amazes me that so much effort can go into calculations about how sea level has risen, when you can buy a 12"plastic ruler from a £1 shop.

I note Alan's reference to the disappearance of Inconvenient Trees, and have seen similar references before. The Marine Biology of rocky tidal coastlines, with photographs showing different bands/colours relating to flora and fauna is much more reliable than a photograph simply showing the level of the water. I appreciate the bands/colours may change with seasons.

I don't suppose there is much chance of me getting funding to sail around the Med for 5 years with scuba gear to photograph some of this stuff. The sailing would be very 'Renewable', the on board electrics could be wind and solar, but an air compressor rated to 3000psi would need diesel power.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Good idea, GC. You’ll need a crew, of course, and I know my bow from my serious stern, and the difference between wet and dry; also, I’ve watched every Pirates of the Caribbean film, so you will have no need of a press gang.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:30 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Paul Dennis

It is over 40 years since I was involved in any research. I do calculations like today's to a much lower standard of thoroughness, but I find them a useful reality check. I am surprised that more sceptics do not try something similar. If AGW were wrong, it would show up very quickly in the energy accounting..

The satellite imbalance is quoted as 4.2W +/- 2.0; the surface based estimate at 0.7W +/-0.7W. Looking at the variation in thermal expansion with depth, my own value should probably be about 2.3W +/-1.3W.

We can set a lower bound of xero. Sea level rise, rising temperatures, ice melt and other secondary indicators all show warming and therefore net energy uptake. The question is not whether there is an imbalance, but how big it is and what is causing it.

I must read Shaviz.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM "The question is not whether there is an imbalance, but how big it is and what is causing it."

Hooray - you finally got there!

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM | Unregistered CommenterSpectator

Mike Jackson golf charlie

It is not the 20th century average you should consider, it is the trend. The 20th century began with sea level rise at 0.6mm/year and ended with 3.3mm/year. That is a doubling every 40 years.

Geometric or exponential processes are not friendly. They start slowly and end with rapid change. "We've been all right so far; there's no problem" is not a good attitude.

The UK is lucky. We are on the edge of the Greenland gravitational sea level bulge, so will suffer less than most.

You might like to consider the concerns of Florida mayors . You might also wonder why Miami is spending $400 million on pumps to keep the streets dry at high tide.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

You might also wonder why Miami is spending $400 million on pumps to keep the streets dry at high tide.
Quite simple, if you did a little looking: Florida is sinking, isostatically (I suppose that is the term – I honestly can’t be bothered refining my arguments with you any more). Does nearby Freeport have similar problems?

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:00 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Martin A

You get a TOA imbalance when something has moved the climate out of equilibrium.

Over the last 20,000 years there has been a net uptake as the Holocene warmed, then 5000 years of stable temperature and no imbalance. There was then 5000 years of cooling and net energy loss into the 1800s.Finally temperatures are rising and the imbalance is favouring heat uptake again.

What caused the changes? I would say Milankovich cycles amplified by CO2, with the decline back to glacial conditions interrupted by the Industrial Revolution. Do you have evidence for an alternative?

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Radical Rodent

The term is isostatic adjustment. The US East coast, including Miami, is sinking at 4.5mm/ year before you add in rising sea levels.

You sceptics tell me that this is too slow a change to worry about. Miami would seem to think that 4.5mm/year is a problem.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

The climate was never in equilibrium.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:18 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Spectator

I've been there for a long time. The imbalance and temperature changes are following the pattern one would expect from AGW.

If you have an alternative, please make your case.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM - thank you.

You seem to have some detailed information about past warming and cooling.

I don't think what you say answers the question I asked. [The answer may be implicit in what you say but if so, I'll need it decoding.]

I enquired:

I asked about radiative imbalance. You answered with figures derived from sea-level rise.

So, if radiative imbalance is a new thing, does this mean that sea level rise is a new thing too?

It's a genuine question - I'm trying to reconcile various things you have said.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Don’t worry, Martin A; EM rarely answers any questions (especially those that embarrass him – i.e. most of them). Some of mine, that I didn’t think would have been too difficult: “…where is your evidence that sea-level rise is going to cause the sort of problem for farmers 1 metre above the present high water mark (please do not give us alarmist ideas that the rise is soon going to increase dramatically; let us work on the information we DO have)?” or “Which do you trust – knowledge that has worked for centuries, or ideals that have not worked at all?

It would be interesting to find out how he can pronounce quite so confidently that sea level rise was 0.6mm per year at the turn of the 20th century – when thermometers were so unreliable that they have had to have some serious adjustments to show us how much warming we have had, yet such measurements… Oh, this is getting very silly – have you tried measuring your bath-water level to the nearest 1mm with you in it?! As other have pointed out, and I have been reluctant to admit, EM creates his own reality, and, having done so, it becomes his New Truth. Deriding everyone for having their personal Morton’s Demon, he is utterly unaware of the one that is working overtime on his own shoulders.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

EM,

You would be hard pushed to demonstrate to me that the graph you linked to yesterday on sea level rise shows anything other than a long term linear rate of sea level rise of approximately 1.6mm per year since 1960. During this period there have been episodes of rapid rise and episodes of fall. There is nothing in the record that shows the present rate of rise is outwith this behaviour.

Your choice of data for radiation imbalances and errors are also very selective. I think Stephens et al (2012) suggest that the uncertainty in the surface energy balance is as high as 17W.m^-2. This is a very large number compared with your estimate of the surface of imbalance. I think Loeb et al (2012) also suggest that at TOA the range of possible values for the imbalance is from -2.1 to +6.7 W.m^-2.

I'm not putting these numbers up to suggest your calculations are wrong but to demonstrate that we actually don't have very precise measurement. In fact the lack of precision means we can't be very definite what either the surface or TOA imbalances are.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

Paul,

Your choice of data for radiation imbalances and errors are also very selective. I think Stephens et al (2012) suggest that the uncertainty in the surface energy balance is as high as 17W.m^-2.

The surface energy imbalance isn't that relevant in this context. As far as energy accruing (or not) in the system is concerned, it's the top-of-the-atmosphere (TOA) imbalance that really matters, and the Stephens et al. TOA imbalance is 0.6 +- 0.4 W/m^2.

I may be wrong, but I also think that the +-17W/m^2 uncertainty in the surface imbalance is a combination of it being very hard to measure surface fluxes (the OHC data makes determining the TOA flux much easier than determining the surface fluxes) and the fact the surface warming can vary substantially (as we've seen in the last decade or so).

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:54 AM | Unregistered Commenter...and Then There's Physics

aTTP,

I agree that it is TOA we should really concern ourselves with and that the surface budget is very difficult to measure.

My understanding is that it isn't possible to measure the TOA budget with any degree of precision and that this is actually constrained by using the imbalance as determined by GCM's or the Argo data for ocean temperature/heat content. We don't actually have an independent measure of the TOA energy imbalance to compare with either modelled values, or values backed out from ocean heat content changes. There is a degree of circularity to the argument here. It might be correct but it is hardly satisfactory. The independent measure we have is neither accurate or precise.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:23 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

Easter now beckons and chores are building up at home. I just want to say a happy Easter to everyone who has contribute to this discussion. It's been a good experience. I've learnt a lot and have some questions and thoughts I'd like to give time to thinking about.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

Paul,

We don't actually have an independent measure of the TOA energy imbalance to compare with either modelled values, or values backed out from ocean heat content changes.

But the ocean has, by far, the largest heat capacity of any component of the climate system. Hence ocean heat content measurements are a pretty solid proxy for the TOA imbalance. Of course, some energy does go into other parts of the system, but the oceans account for about 93% of the imbalance. Unless you really think that there is some other component of the system that is somehow absorbing a significant fraction of the energy imbalance, the oceans are about all we need to consider.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM | Unregistered Commenter...and Then There's Physics

Ah aTTP, I see that you are back. I asked before:

...and (we) still have a planetary energy imbalance ...
Mar 24, 2016 at 2:09 PM and Then There's Physics

aTTP, please would you point to the evidence for this.

When I tried to find what was out there two or three years ago on this question, I came across a paper by Hansen (still not many years old) which said that the difference between satellite measurements of incoming and outgoing radiation was too great to be plausible and so therefore we must rely on estimates provided by models.

Perhaps the situation has changed since the publication of that paper. If so, it seems to have received surprisingly little publicity.

Can I take it that the evidence for what you said is that the sea seems to be getting warmer?

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

aTTP,

sorry I was going to have a break. I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that from a measurement point of view it isn't very satisfactory. If one is going to do a calculation of ocean heat balance and then say it agrees with TOA estimates this is a circular argument. It would be much more satisfactory if we could close this with independent measurements.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

Paul,
I'll have a break after this too, but this certainly isn't what I was saying

If one is going to do a calculation of ocean heat balance and then say it agrees with TOA estimates this is a circular argument.

I was saying that OHC measurements - by themselves - provide an estimate for the TOA imbalance. Of course, it's better to have more than one single estimate, and we do (sea level rise, satellite measurements) but that doesn't change that the OHC measurements are, by themselves, an indication of a TOA imbalance.

Anyway, I'll stop there. Have a good easter break :-)

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:28 AM | Unregistered Commenter...and Then There's Physics

aTTP,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that was what you had said or done. My use of english was as imprecise as some of our emasurements. I am in full agreement that the ocean is a good calorimeter and measure of the energy imbalance and all for improving our measurement systems.

Likewise have a good holiday.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

The only flaw in that argument is the paucity of measurements to determine OHC – and please do not use Entropic man’s argument that taking numerous readings from a few locations is as good as taking a few readings from numerous locations. We have only just begun to take in-depth (pardon the pun) measurements of the oceans; it is going to take a few more years (decades?) before this data will be able to give meaningful indications.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR,

you will see that I have constantly said we need better measurements. The ocean is our best bet but measurement systems and coverage have a long way to go yet before we can have any degree of confidence in our estimates of energy gain or loss. Any notion that lots of measurements at a few locations is adequate is clearly wrong.

Now I really am signing off for Easter!

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

It's a fundamental problem with climate science that its practioners, and even more its acolytes like EM and aATTP, look for data to confirm the hypothesis. And confirmation of this being a problem is that neither its practioners not its acolytes recognise it as being an issue.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:43 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Mr D, I rank you with Mr K. All I could argue with you about is your choice of a Pablo Sanchez.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent