Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > General Election 2017 ?

"that ignoramus and climate-fanatic “Sir” Ed Davey is also back."

Nick Clegg loses his seat #ElectionDay2017 video

"Back : Vince Cable the arse that sold the Royal mail off at a knock down price for his city mates"

-----------------------------------------

Breitbart: Conservative cabinet minister Ben Gummer, widely tipped as a "rising star" within the party and the author of the 2017 Tory manifesto has lost his seat.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:59 AM Robert Christopher

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:20 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Were there any dirty tricks ?

Like how many students both voted at college and at home ?

My R4 face book group was everyday plastered in Adverts suggested groups..see 1 weeks graphics see if you can spot if they favour a particular party.
Don't know what the electoral rules are on this , cos it's unpaid advertising done by volunteers (you aren't allowed to pay canvass volunteers)

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

"UK Government is MayDUP
What price DUP?
If you feed a Crocodile what does it do Arlene Foster? "
Our gov could be in hands of Arlene... incompetent in the green energy woodchip thing

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:46 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

My gut reaction is to get rid of my TV and license, disinherit anyone who even hints they voted Labour and plan to do one of those free degrees that Labour will demand. On the upside my shares have gone up (I assume on the belief that Corbyn can't steal them now). We are paying the price for ignoring the left wing domination of media and education. Not to mention letting youngsters believe that all they need to do to get what they want is protest.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Didn't think it would be long here before youf and damn lefties got blamed for the election results. When are you going to start a petition to deprive those immature and easily influenced from voting - raise the voting age to 21?
48% of the population can be ignored regarding any say in Brexit, and whatever percentage voted for Corbyn and his irresponsible gang can now be written off. We shall see.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

I'm happy to blame it on a daft Tory manifesto too. Not to mention a terrible campaign. Like Diane Abbott, MPs are generalists these days and can't explain their own policies.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:09 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Apparently the DUP is highly climate-sceptical. So the Moonbat is howling. Election thread at cliscep.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Blame?

"Events,, dear boy, events"

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

That was categorically a f-up.

Sir Edward Davey and Zac Goldsmith back? - oh joy ...

I've always thought Theresa May was lame and a plaything of the Sir Humpreys ... and now she's proven it in spades (lameness is going to be a feature of this administration) . Relying on spawn of Deben for direction was a ploy worthy of Baldrick.

It was a miserable campaign - where there should've been fire + passion there was evasion and stodge.

Having personally received unsolicited social media from Labour direct from Twitter (and complained about it) - I think that Ms. May would be well advised to have a close look at the antics of Twitter, Facebook + Google - but the evidence is likely long been deleted... or it's in California.

Long live The Bolivarian Revolution !

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Supertroll

Rightmob are here, complaining "We wuz robbed"

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

@EM

I don't see any robbing going on.

The highest turnout for some decades would seem to indicate more engagement = more democracy.

From this punter's perspective though the field of runners were a pretty depressing crowd. I do not recall any stand out discussions - I take the "modern politicians are generalists" up thread to mean that most are not quite dim / dull enough to loose all self awareness and that inane blathering is fine - imho - they were all guilty this time.

33 lost Conservative seats - and Mrs May says "certainty" .... it looks like the lady's main talent is as a reliable contra-indicator.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:58 PM | Registered Commentertomo

EM. Northern Ireland would seem to be even more polarized than before.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll

Indeed. The Northern Ireland moderates got wiped out by the extremists.

I ended up voting tactically for a party I despise in an attempt to oust a party I despise even more.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:29 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

I think I will be reasonably pleased under the circumstances. Collapsed green-vote, the DUP are clearly not up for any global-warming twaddle and seem to appreciate the importance of low energy costs. And the rest of it is.. meh...at least not Corbyn and the new militant tendency. Small majorities keep the idealogues at bay and the govenment a bit more focussed on the voters.

Plus, I didn't have any plans to go fox hunting in the near future...

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:36 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

@TinyCO2 Jun 9, 2017 at 12:09 PM
the consensus on B-BBC was that may called the election in a dark force way to somehow scupper Brexit, and not winning the election was a deliberate tactic.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:46 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

90% of BBC/MSM election stuff is silly soap opera fantasy universe.
Like pretending your vote matters
No with FPTP system 500+ of 600 seats have already been decided before the election
Urban seats are Red and Countryside is Blue
90% of voters vote doesn't count
It's the 5% of voters who live in swing constituencies who can make a difference.
. In fact most of them always stick with one party so it's 1% who are super voters
ie the people who live in a Swing seat and are swing voters ..the 99% don't matter much.

But that is not what media tells us.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Red/Green Tory Zac Goldsmith has won back Richmond

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:52 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Ah Top of page Rob Christopher mentioned Ben Gummer losing his seat

" 2005 and 2010 was managing director of family-owned Sancroft International*, an environmental consultancy company set up and led by his father John Gummer (Lord Deben of Climate Committee)

* (with Christopher Booker expressing concern at the "involvement of some of our most senior politicians in the ... lucrative and expanding industry of renewable energy" )

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen, nah. May just wasn't very good. There is no benefit to any PM to make Brexit more confused than it is. She'd just end up hated by both sides. I just hope that those who voted for Corbyn are comfortable with how much the EU elite are celebrating, and it's not in the hope that we rejoin under the terms we had.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

So all Labour need do is force the issue on Heathrow expansion, Green Zac will apply to represent the Chilterns again, and the political merry-go-round will start all over again. Alternatively the Eire-NI border where all the neighbouring constituencies are Sinn Fein, will cause rifts in any DUP-Tory alliance. A result seemingly doomed to unravel, and with the EU looking on in amazement. Don't blame the electorate because them is us.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

You will love being ruled by the DUP. They are so far off centre that they make the BH Rightmob look moderate.

They are corrupt, self-serving and intransigent.

They are great deniers. They do not believe in soft Brexit, a hard Irish border, a united Ireland, Catholics, LGBT, same-sex marriage, abortion, climate change, astronomy, biology, geology and anything more than 6021 years old.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

So Corbyn voters put an anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, Climate Skeptic Party into control of power.
.... Well done you

@ET There's no such thing as RightMOb, as the non-Libs do not behave like a mob, there is not a huge degree of conformity.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:12 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Stewgreen. "So Corbyn voters put an anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, Climate Skeptic Party into control of power.
.... Well done you"
No, the "immaculate" Theresa did that.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

EM, London already has a mayor who subscribes to a religion that does similar, if not worse.
I stand by my original comment.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:54 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

stewgreen at 1.51 pm - I agree wholeheartedly.

EM and Supertroll - I also agree with you.

A bad night for Britain, I think, since uncertainty isn't particularly desirable. The defence of FPTP always used to be that it provided stable, majority Government, but it has now failed to do so in 2 general elections out of 3. Come in FPTP, your time is up!

A bad night for Labour - as an un-named senior Labour source told the BBC: not good enough to form a Government, not bad enough to get rid of Corbyn.

Interesting times ahead, anyway...

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson