Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > President Trump

My gosh, the Trump booster club in full attack mode. How foolish, its only my opinions, opinions which you have made it abundantly clear on many many occasions you that do not value. Yet out come the oldies but goodies - stain brain, troll and the like.

Till the next time Trump makes a f**k up.
So long as he keeps climate science bashing you will excuse him anything.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Ah, now we're ready to critique the Fox News report. Was it false?

Donald J Trump will be the greatest president of the greatest country on Earth. Its gonna be great folks. A man of such stature and gravitas chooses each word with exquisite care, every fact meticulously researched. You can trust every word he utters absolutely. In this case he was citing Fox News, a beacon of integrity in a swamp of bias. Now the film did contain a few of what the losers and stain brains used to call 'lies', but what we, the new enlightened know to be alternative facts.

#JeSuisIKEA

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/g26Lk/after-trumps-last-night-in-sweden-here-are-the-errors-in-fox-news

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

ooh!

reinforcements have turned up!

It's all going swimmingly i Sverige - that's all.

If your only impression of the US was based on what you see on the news, you would think it is a total war zone.

The war zones in Sweden are conveniently well away from where most of the influential progressives live and complaints by put upon immigrants about their fellows go into the round under-desk filer. The present culture of concealment does a profound disservice to the victims as does the retreat of the police from certain areas.

It used to be OK in the 1990s for women to swim topless in municipal pools in Malmö (on the entirely sensible grounds that some men have bigger breasts than women) - I wonder if that's still the case?

Have you heard Trump's latest gaffe about Rotherham?

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:56 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Alan

I stand by my words (save for the last bit about it being undemocratic - a badly chosen word when I dashed off in a hurry to do other stuff today. I should have said that a monochrome MSM provides a disservice to democracy, which would have been both more elegant and more accurate).

So we shall have to agree to differ. I don't like Donald Trump, reallyI don't,, but nor do I like illiberal, anti-homosexual, misogynistic, west-hating Muslims who want to live in the west but not sign up to western liberal values (NB obviously I don't include all Muslims in that rant, but enough of them qualify to be a matter of concern). I don't understand why so many "liberals" (especially in the MSM) hate Trump with such venom, while going out of their way to defend a faith which, at its worst, is antithetical to everything they stand for and claim to believe in.

Imagine a political party - let's, for the sake of argument, call it the BNP or the National Front - which hates people who aren't like its supporters, believes in violence to further its ends, hates homosexuals, and doesn't believe that women should have equal rights - and the liberal community will rightly campaign aggressively against it. Now, let's say it's not a political party but a religion - let's call it Islam for the sake of argument - and add in a cruel (halal) form of butchering animals, honour killings, arranged marriages, and a bit of FGM for good measure, and how do liberals respond? By defending said religion and calling anyone who questions its values a racist, more often than not.

I must admit, I don't get it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

A photo from the Westminster anti-Trump rally that I perhaps predictably think worth sharing.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:28 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Mark. Very much appreciate your rational post.
Who could disagree, except you are picking out objectionable parts of a religion which for the most is worthy of respect, even admiration. Most adherents are peaceful and despair at what is said and done in their and their religion's name.

One could with equal justification pick a similar list of beliefs and practices done on behalf of Christianity.

Finally if we go back to the time Islam was at its prime, and compare the behaviour of Christians and Muslims, I know who were the more civilized.

I find it a most difficult moral problem. How to be fair to the vast majority of Muslims, whilst recognizing that a small minority constitute a very real threat. The fact that many in the majority are willing to condone the activities of this small minority (on the basis they are co-religionists) only makes the conundrum the more difficult.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll - respect.

You make some very good points. The world is indeed a difficult and complex place, which is why I am concerned at the MSM largely being of one voice and pretending that there is good and bad and few if any shades of grey.

I've read a lot of history and am well aware of the glories of the Islamic world in its prime. In many ways we owe the medieval Islamic world a great debt of gratitude. I wonder how it came to this?

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

My gosh, the Trump booster club in full attack mode. How foolish, its only my opinions, opinions which you have made it abundantly clear on many many occasions you that do not value. Yet out come the oldies but goodies - stain brain, troll and the like.

Till the next time Trump makes a f**k up.
So long as he keeps climate science bashing you will excuse him anything.
Feb 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

AK - You are foaming at the mouth. Get a grip. Keep on and you'll be depriving Meryl Streep of her award for histrionics.

President Trump was democratically elected. He is now fulfilling his promises at an astonishing rate of knots.

It's a wonderful thing that the section of the US population that until recently was disenfranchised by the political system and despised by the political class has, against all odds, elected the candidate who stands up for them. And the bias of the media is truly shameful.

If President Trump's actions put an end to the effectiveness of the climate change delusion as the basis of the greatest scam the world has known, that will be an additional bonus.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:26 PM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

It used to be OK in the 1990s for women to swim topless in municipal pools in Malmö - I wonder if that's still the case?

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea that when El Presidente referred to 'problems like they never thought possible', he meant something as consequential as the right to expose a nipple in a swimming pool.

I await a list of American topless public bathing facilities. Trump's cabinet seem a pretty buttoned-up lot.

Meanwhile, a lie is still a lie, and liars really should be called to account.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Supertroll / Mark Hodgson

conundrum / came to this?

In a word - the madness that is Mahdism - a human TEOTWAWKI behavioral trait that has surfaced in many religions.

If you seek insight to the mindset look no further than Yaroslav Trofimov's The Siege of Mecca

It handed the salafist beards the whip hand in KSA and they in turn set about the old game of eradicating Shias.

Medieval Cordoba / Baghdad it most certainly ain't

I was out and about in KSA a year after in 1980 and the event was still reverberating.

@PC
pretty lame snark there mate ... you can do better.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM | Registered Commentertomo

I wonder how it came to this?
Feb 20, 2017 at 9:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

The Closing of the Muslim Mind: How Intellectual Suicide Created the Modern Islamist Crisis
by Robert R. Reilly (Author)

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I await a list of American topless public bathing facilities.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

South Beach, Miami for starters.

The 33 States That Allow Women To Be Topless

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I do appreciate the 'even you'. Thanks, Pal. Curiosity driven, I try to be fair; it's the only way.
=================

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

There is an incipient coalition gradually forming that may gain a moderating influence, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Israel, the US. Early times, but hopeful. All despair of the Muslim Brotherhood.

See Greeley dance, Omigod! What would Horace do?
=============

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:24 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Reading climate enforcers and Trumpharrumphers is like watching the chimps' tea party. Phil Clarke and Supertroll happily flinging faeces around while proclaiming their moral eminence. It is a strange state of affairs.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

Nudity is reasonably common in US hippy places
eg hundreds of people used to swim in the river outside Nevada city California.
I volunteered at the naked hotsprings in CA

Though most Americans are neither comfortable with public nudity or Muslim covering of women.
Nuns is different.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I watched the Trump speech live. Saturday
He was in control.
He said the dishonest media wouldn't pan back to show the huge crowd.
And they didn't until forced to at the end as he walked thru the audience.

He quickly said hey I heard last night whats happening he Sweden.

He never implied thered been a big terrorist attack.

I assumed he was talking about how last week a top policeman had spoken out how Sweden was overrun with Muslim migrant crime like frequent rapes including one gang rape screened live on Facebook.
The sordidness was the reason Trump kept it vague.

By 6:30am l was surprised to see R5 were airing a female Trump supporter.
Wow I thought.
... But then came the ambush stunt that the Guardian reader lot had thought up over night.
"So didn't Trump mention a terrorist attack in Sweden that had never happened"
WtF I thought

But the guest neatly sidestepped it saying " I'm not going to speak about things I didn't hear"

Pity she wasn't informed enough to mention the rape crises in Sweden.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:07 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A biscuit company marketed a line of Presidential baked trifles. All the Presidents up through Dubya were crackers, Obama was an Oreo, and Trump a Cheeto.
================

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Kim. Surely Trump should be a Rich Tea?

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Trumpharrumpher T-shirts will probably sell well in Sweden.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Pity she wasn't credulous enough to mention the rape crises in Sweden.

FTFY.

Sweden took in a record 163,000 asylum seekers in 2015. Sexual offences declined by 13% between 2014 and 2015, to about the same rate as 2005..

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:36 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Phil

Who knows what the truth is unless you live in Sweden)?

A quick google search will throw up as your first options any number of websites, including the Guardian website, all going out of their way immediately to go with an anti-Trump line, and therefore seeking to minimise or eliminate any link between sexual crime and immigration in Sweden.

If you persevere this link comes up:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape

I have no idea whether the website is barking mad or absolutely trustworthy (looking at its other stories, it has an agenda, but then the other sites I looked at have an agenda too - a different one), but it tells a very different story.

Who knows what the truth is - about anything? It's a sad old world when barely any sources can be accepted at face value and trusted as impartial and completely honest, lacking an agenda.

Something has undoubtedly gone wrong with large sections of the Islamic world, whatever the truth of the situation in Sweden. It concerns me, and it should concern all right-thinking people, especially liberals, given that many (not all) Muslims live by a faith which leads them to adhere to values that are fundamentally illiberal.

The links provided by others are of interest. I have long wondered how an intellectual powerhouse responsible for many great achievements in the world of astronomy, medicine, mathematics, literature etc could find itself descending to something like a stone age culture hostile in many cases to education, especially western education. We can only base our views on our own experiences. For some years I was a co-opted school governor of an inner-city school with a large Bangladeshi immigrant population. Almost every one of those families resolutely kept their children away from school, and caused head teacher and governors a problem out of all proportion to their numbers. It is such experiences which leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark Last week there was a Radio 4 programme on Arab mathematics (probably Melvin Bragg's Thursday morning programme) where the question of why their scientific dominance did not continue. One contributor suggested that it was due to the fascination arab society had with arabic script(s). This meant that, unlike Europe, they never adopted an alphabet and thus were unable to take advantage of the printing press. Thus the easy dissemination of knowledge and cross fertilization that occurred during the renaissance failed to occur, and the Muslim world fell progressively behind.
I don't know if this explanation holds up, but it must have been, at least, a contributory factor.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Thanks Alan - that's interesting.

I'm off to the library to see if they have the book by Robert Reilly mentioned by Martin A. This is a subject in which I am genuinely interested.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:25 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM on Supertroll

"Last week there was a Radio 4 programme on Arab mathematics ..." you mean BBC Radio 4 !

Here is another 'view':
Andrew Bostom has skewered the myth that Cordoba was a model of ecumenism Trikovic has shown that the continuation of learning, science, technology of the "Golden age of Islam" prospered in spite of Islam and not because of Islam and now we have Emmet Scott skewering the myth that the Golden Age of Islam saved Classical humanistic Western culture.
GatestoneInstitute: The Golden Age Of Islam

Islam has a culture of destroying original documents, sometimes after copying the contents into their 'own style', but often just wanton destruction of the past as we have seen in the destruction of Timbuktu documents in 2013 and in Iraq over the last few years.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher