Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > EU must be joking

Just sent of a comment to newswatch@bbc.co.uk about the 'Today programme' 0600-0900 at 07:32 they had a clip on Cornwall and all the EU money spent there!.

Over 5 times 'EU money' was mentioned witout saying it was all UK cash....

I would have made a formal complaint but it will take too long to go through the system.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterSteve Richards

European Union Declares War on Internet Free Speech
The European Union (EU), in partnership with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Microsoft, has unveiled a "code of conduct" to combat the spread of "illegal hate speech" online in Europe.

Proponents of the initiative argue that in the aftermath of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels, a crackdown on "hate speech" is necessary to counter jihadist propaganda online.

Opponents counter that the initiative amounts to an assault on free speech in Europe. They say that the EU's definition of "hate speech" and "incitement to violence" is so vague that it could include virtually anything deemed politically incorrect by European authorities, including criticism of mass migration, Islam or even the European Union itself.

Some Members of the European Parliament have characterized the EU's code of online conduct — which requires "offensive" material to be removed from the Internet within 24 hours, and replaced with "counter-narratives" — as "Orwellian."

It could include virtually anything deemed politically incorrect ... like disagreeing with Climate Change and the delusional responses that are initiated on its behalf to save the World.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Twenty three minutes of solid information from JR-M:
Jacob Rees-Mogg EU Debate Full Highlights

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:53 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Breitbart -Delingpole: 50 Million Reasons Why The WWF Wants Britain to Remain In The EU

It also mentions the RSPB (The Royal Society for the Pulverisation of Bird-life (and Bats)).

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:15 AM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Oliver Cromwell gave a famous message to the EU and MEPs in 1653

“It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter’d your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil’d this sacred place, and turn’d the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress’d, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!”

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:41 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Stewgreen. You want a dictatorship?????

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

The rise of Cromwell was due to someone who believed in absolute rule, if only because the common man was so, well, common. In addition, Charles l didn't have the awareness that that view had consequences. :)

J-C J has a similar view failings, so our current situation is that we want to rid ourselves of a dictator - in fact, there are five presidents to be eliminated!

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM | Unregistered CommenterRobert Christopher

Perhaps 'Charles l didn't have sufficient awareness that that view had consequences for his survival' would be more accurate.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterRobert Christopher

What have the Europhiles ever done for us?

We're out of schengen, out of the Eurozone, out of ever closer ties with Europe. What are we paying for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Green Sand on Jun 1, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Thank you for the link. It saved a journey into Reading. :)

stewgreen on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:27 PM
".....it seems that Izzard was so bad it's like he set out to sabotage his own Remain position."

I thought so too. At times, I wondered if he was at the same debate.

Dan's efforts, however, were a master class in clarity, though he needed that, given the audience!

I counted two, perhaps three, 'Euro-sceptic questions', but much more disappointing was the audience's low level of understanding in current affairs, human nature, negotiation strategy, market led business and the general acceptance that Europe's privileged position in the world will be secured by more controlling Euro-legislation, that cannot cater for regional differences, and less control over our borders, who is within them and the indiscriminate handing over of wealth to those without any promise of it being used wisely.

Has no one heard that a welfare state without borders will collapse, if only because the workers efforts will increasingly reward the incomers and not themselves? Does it not dawn on them that the workers will give up or leave? It is an integral part of the big plan, de-industrialisation, as is less education, which increases carbon footprints, didn't you know :) , and they don't realise they will be at the sharp end. :)

Considering that they are Berkshire's finest, it doesn't say much for the rest of us living in the county.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:37 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

My own little 7 up. The following is an pravda.ru opinion piece, penned 7 years ago. For 'American' try including 'EU':-

American capitalism gone with a whimper - 27.04.2009

" .......So it should be no surprise, that the American president has followed this up with a "bold" move of declaring that he and another group of unelected, chosen stooges will now redesign the entire automotive industry and will even be the guarantee of automobile policies. I am sure that if given the chance, they would happily try and redesign it for the whole of the world, too. Prime Minister Putin, less then two months ago, warned Obama and UK's Blair, not to follow the path to Marxism, it only leads to disaster. Apparently, even though we suffered 70 years of this Western sponsored horror show, we know nothing, as foolish, drunken Russians, so let our "wise" Anglo-Saxon fools find out the folly of their own pride.

Again, the American public has taken this with barely a whimper...but a "freeman" whimper......"

Yeh, I know it was political propaganda, and I can't remember how I came across it back then, pravda.ru being far removed from my normal reading spectrum. But I go back and read it sort of once a year and every year my exclamation of 'O sh*t' gets louder and especially so this year, this month?

Worth a read, propaganda or prophecy?

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:34 PM | Registered CommenterGreen Sand

What are we paying for?

A trade tariff .

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Martyn on Jun 5, 2016 at 1:06 PM

It is because the EU isn't a Free Trade Area, it's a Customs Union. That is why we cannot make our own free trade agreements with countries outside the EU. Everything has to go through Brussels and the other 27 members need to agree.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Robert Christopher on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM

An update from Breitbart:
Breitbart VIDEO: EU And Facebook Pledge To ‘Reeducate’ Users And Crush Free Speech

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

I don't think Call Me Dave is in control of anything of substance:
Sunday Express; 'Cameron can't be trusted' PM blasted as SECRET £2bn EU bill REVEALED
'Cameron can't be trusted' PM blasted as SECRET £2bn EU bill REVEALED

The details of new bill for Britain have emerged with revelations that eurocrats have deliberately held back a review of the current EU Budget until after Britain's referendum on 23 June.
A report for the European Parliament has noted that there is already a backlog of almost £20 billion in unpaid bills which member states will have to pick up.

This means an extra £2 billion from the UK and there are fears that Britain will also be hauled into bailing out countries in the eurozone with both Greece and Italy understood to be on the brink of crisis.

The problems have prompted the leaders of Vote Leave - Mr Gove, Mr Johnson and respected Labour MP Gisella Stuart - to argue that the Prime Minister can no longer be trusted to protect Britain's interests in the EU.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:21 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Ok Robert you call it a customs union. My point is that the UK has opted out of a number of fundamental European agreements which leaves the UK in any future European negotiations outgunned, maybe ignored or perhaps on the peripheral because we must be thought of as not European enough. There are about 20 Countries taking out more money than they pay into the EU, a couple of Countries breaking even which leaves five countries supporting the whole system. And three of those are a little iffy, certainly two. So in my opinion we are contributing a considerable amount of money, not far behind Germany, to be part of the European free trade package with very little else to show for it except more bills.
40 years ago I voted to join the Common Market which seemed a sensible thing to do at the time although it was pretty much crapping on the Commonwealth in trading terms. Since then politicians have morphed the 9 European trading countries into the 28 Countries of the European Union with a couple more in the pipeline and an ever more powerful Government in Brussels. It seems to me that for the last 40 years the UK has been unable to rein back ambitions of a united Europe no matter how much money we contribute or how much influence we had. Who knows what will happen during the next 40 years as we have even less influence now.
So stuff the Eurocrats what we have now is not what I voted for back then, I'm out.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Martyn on Jun 5, 2016 at 9:10 PM

I agree with all that you said, even the "40 years ago I voted to join the Common Market which seemed a sensible thing to do at the time"!

A custom union prohibits free trade with a non-member until it is agreed by all members, while a free trade area does not.

In fact, I have just read Hannan's Why Vote Leave and it says (p 95) that the words 'Common Market' were on the voting form. I was a little wary at the time, but I thought that our governments would be a little more patriotic than they have been, and firmer. After all, we were the only European country not to have lost in WWII. We had just had a world war, the second in thirty years, and it wasn't very friendly to tell our nearest neighbours to FO, words I didn't use at the time. :)

What Hannan explains is that the sticking point was that the continentals were always seeking a political solution, and Heath collaborated with them, effectively betraying his nation. The initial signing of the six members was rushed because a feeble British presentation (focusing on trade) panicked them into it. He quotes Hugo Young (p 92) when describing the treason within the FCO.

As for Hannan's book, it is a very easy read and does not have too many facts; instead of lists of problems, it explains why the problems exist and why they cannot be renegotiated or reformed away. What it does lack is an index, so if you read it, makes notes as you go along, not to remember the points, as we know most of them, more to know where they are in the book as useful references are usually quoted.

In an appendix, it lists many of the 'mistakes' in the government leaflet that dropped through every letter box, along with the truth, which is very far from what was in the leaflet. What an appalling act by our prime minister!

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Don't ask me whether it's counting money more than once, but it is another 'discovery' that was, I suspect, supposed to remain hidden until after June 23rd:
TheSun: Britain's bill for EU bail-out hits £22bn

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

RC it's dated , 16 Jun 2011

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM | Unregistered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Thanks. I wondered where it came from.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

More Project Fear, I would suggest:
[William Hague:] This is an asymmetric campaign in that we all have a lot of experience of what it is like to remain in the EU, but have to imagine what it would be like to leave.
Daily Telegraph: The Leave campaign can’t keep dodging the biggest question

Isn't the opposite true?

Leaving the EU will allow us to return to being like one of the over 150 sovereign nations that manage to trade with each other, just like we used to do before 1974. We will be able to negotiate with the rest of the world, unhindered by Brussels. That is familiar territory to many of us, even if the young in Britain without experience outside the EU may find it new and contrary to their EU brainwashing experiences.

Remaining in the EU will enable us to experience the deluge of new directives and regulations that are being held back until after June 23rd, and contribute to the bottomless pit of the Eurozone dysfunctionality, and receive the overflow from the Schengen Area - while STILL being told what to do by Brussels. Not a complete unknown :) , but a ever ending nightmare where the increasing magnitude is unexperienced! There might be EU guarantees to avoid these undesirable consequences, but they are worthless. For example, we don't have the CAP reform promised by Blair's 'negotiations', but our rebate was still reduced! The Euro-bailouts were not only not legal, they were illegal, and they still are until there is a treaty change! But that just isn't a problem when in the EU, and in Brussels!

No one will be able to remain in the current EU. William Hague knows this (and so do more and more people). He knows that the EU will be accelerating even faster towards the Ever Closer Union Club. They have been threatening us with it, and Cameron was slighted by it during his travels to get agreement: this agenda has always been present, even before the misnamed 'Common Market' was created.

And the asymmetric campaign started with Cameron's leaflet dropping through our doors before the campaign started, using our money to fund it!

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:23 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

At last, some good news from the EU Elites:
Daily Express:
NO second chance for Britain: Germany's THREAT to UK - You'll NEVER be allowed back in EU

With reports that OUR Parliament could ignore a Brexit vote, it does leave EU-intergovernmental relationships in a muddle.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

RC, earlier today, while I was exercising, it occurred to me that any government or politician, domestic or foreign, really ought to get their "best offer" in soon. Whether their best offer is a carrot, or a Bismarck-shaped stick, I'm going to stop paying attention in a few days, and start enjoying the simply mental media hysteria. Assholes.

Never has a less-than-average English football team had a better chance to be ignored for failing. This is their big chance. The pressure is off.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

...and the name of the next head of the European Commission was nominated as "Eury ManUrinface" in a popular pole of the British eclectorate.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart