Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Denying the science

I don't want to meet you Richard, not because of lack of guts, but because I see through you. I can see you're here, not for scepticism as a cause, but as a way to inflate yourself. You missed out on being a founding-father of computing, and now you're casting about for another cause to latch onto. I don't meet up with pathetic people, as a rule.

BTW, your little suck-up to the Bish a few posts up was as transparent as it was sad.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

If commenters wish to play a part in satisfying the needs of personality disorder sufferers, they have the right to do so.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

TBYJ: I know that you see things that aren't there, like my sockpuppet SandyS. That part is pretty amusing. But I apologise for attributing your declining my invitation to have lunch to a lack of guts. All I will say is that it's a great pity you have such trust in your ability to judge someone, in such a negative way, without first taking advantage of this obvious and low-cost way of double-checking. One might almost call it an audit :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I never said SandyS was your sockpuppet, if I believed him to be so, I'd hardly have explained the fact to him.

But never let it be said your let mere facts stand in they way of a good vanity thread.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

You never said it but the allusion was unmistakeable. And it's striking you didn't correct us right away when we started to make fun of the idea. Calling this a vanity thread though is despicable. Not because I have no ego or vanity but because this is a sincere attempt to grapple with something of the utmost solemnity which you are doing your best to trivialise. Which brings me to geronimo:

What would victory look like for you?

Very good question. Here are three levels:

1. Alarmists stop using the term denier completely
2. If not 1, they lose all credibility with the public because of this gross abuse of language
3. If not 2, the term doesn't trigger a genocide, as some would wish.

Strong statement but that's been one of my concerns, articulated to a close friend in 2009, after explaining the Yamal shenanigans to him, not long before Climategate broke, which happened to be on my birthday. Denier has always struck me as that bad. But I've also taken great encouragement, often through the labours of others, on the possibility of escaping the worst (as I think we all have, however gloomy or chipper we start out as) since 17th November 2009.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

So while once again Richard Drake keeps us waiting (with bated breath, no doubt) for his next sermon from the mount, in which he will reveal (or not) "how we should think about and react to [the label of] ‘climate deniers’" (my bold), I thought it might be useful to review the bidding.

On Feb. 28, he decided to draw some attention to himself (just for a change) by ordering (not asking): "Consider ..." followed by a rather lengthy quote. Then he announced that he had "a number of questions" of which he (perhaps mercifully) posed four.

But here's the key sentence - the cue, so to speak - that seems to have been missed:

I'll give my own answers before long.

In this instance "before long" turned out to be approx. 32 hours later. In the interim, ten people posted a comment - and all ten seemed to have reached not only a consensus (you should pardon my use of the word), but a 100% consensus that this post of his was not a good idea.

Silly people! According to Richard's Rules of Order™ you weren't supposed to respond (unless perhaps you wanted to declare what a "brilliant" post he'd made). You were supposed to wait until you "knew how [he] was going to answer" his own questions.

Alas, those who posted not in praise of him, were - according to Richard's Rules of Order™ - guilty of the heinous sin of (presumably) presuming "to know how [he] was going to answer before [he] did so". Notwithstanding the fact that there was absolutely nothing in a single one of the 10 responses that could be remotely construed (except by Richard, of course!) as such a presumption.

[sidebar:]

Some of the things I've learned from a few years of observing Richard's Rules of Order™, include a Rule to the effect of "Even when he's spectacularly wrong, he's right." And for those who might have missed his past demonstrations of his application of this particular Rule, I offer the following example, wherein after galloping hither and yon on his high-horse, he took extreme umbrage when I documented how he had misrepresented my words (thereby (mis)leading at least one other down his seeded garden path) and told him that I would welcome his apology for having done so.

You see, I had completely forgotten the Rule that Richard's interpretation, translation or (as in this particular instance) transmogrification beyond recognition of someone's words (which he kept carefully unlinked, unquoted and out of sight) will trump what s/he actually said, every single time! But, as you will see, he's definitely in favour of freedom of speech ... for him. For others? Well - according to Richard's Rules of Order™ - not so much.

It all started with Richard doing a double suck-up (if I might borrow TBYJ's description) in combination with his self-glorification at my expense (via his transmogrification of my words):

Unlike Hilary Ostrov I didn't interpret one of Richard [B]'s terse answers as dismissive of Nic; quite the reverse, I thought it showed a busy man was really trying to help. Nic seemed to feel the same.

I had the temerity to correct him by noting:

The point of my observation was definitely not that RB's "answer was terse" - in fact, I found his response far from "terse" [...]. But rather that RB had failed to even acknowledge Nic's lengthy response to RB's questions.

And after watching him attempt to waltz-away from his very own words, I eventually suggested that an apology from him would be welcomed. He didn't seem to agree. Not only did he not agree, but also - in accordance with Richard's Rules of Order™ - he declared:

Hilary: your original comment wasn't to me, I mentioned you only in passing and you shouldn't have bothered with me further. [my bold added -hro]

Amazing, eh?!

For those who might be interested ... all the gory details of this rather surreal ascension of Richard Drake to Grand Pooh-Bah with his self-conferred right to determine who should (or should not!) be saying what to whom (and when) can be found in this thread [my summary begins on p. 5 of the comments, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM] Although the whole thread is quite enlightening, if you have the time!

[end sidebar]

So, after 32 hours, Richard finally spotted a response he could glom onto. By ripping it from its "100% consensus" context, i.e. "This will take us nowhere IMO" - and pretending that the immediately preceding, "Richard what were you thinking?" was not a purely rhetorical question.

Just the launching pad he needed for yet another sermon, which included a statement of the bleedingly obvious (as if no one in this congregation could possibly figure this out for her/himself without his guidance and tutelage) ... and some more questions the meaning of which he will <cue alert> "explain ... in due course, having given the chance for others ... to agree with [him] ... on [his bleedingly obvious] second point".

Such generosity, eh?!

Well, that didn't quite work out as Richard had planned. So a few hours later, he first wrapped himself in his freedom of speech (for him) flag. And instead of responding to his critics (or answering the last two of his first four questions, or "explaining" the new ones he'd thrown on the table), he let all and sundry know that Andy West had failed to adhere to Richard's Rules of Order™:

Sorry, folks (particularly Andy, who is relatively new to this congregation, I believe), I was remiss in my duty to remind people of Richard's Rules of Order - and to watch for the cues! In case you missed it in his self-serving verbiage, here's how Richard "responded" (for want of a better word) to Andy's very cogent and valid arguments:

In brief response to Andy West, I had a number of purposes in asking the second question, then answering in the negative. Until you've listened to the explanations I don't think it's worth spending time on your very extreme critique. [my bold -hro]

A case of 'next chorus, next verse, a little bit louder and a whole lot worse', if ever there was one! A few more pontifications (but no answers to his own questions, and no "explanations") And then ... wait for it ... he's basically busy for the rest of the day. But he "may add something to the discussion later".

He did return in order to putter around bestowing gold stars on some and slinging mud at others (and/or telling them what they should or should not be saying!) as is his wont. A snippet here, a snippet there ... anything he could glom onto. But if he answered his own questions (that we were supposed to wait for) or provided the "explanations" (that we were also supposed to wait for), I must have missed them.

OMG! look what I missed at Mar 4, 2014 at 1:17 AM I was asked to "bow out" by none other than the Grand Pooh-Bah, himself! This time, he was playing amateur psychologist very, very badly - and with no insight whatsoever into the effects of his very own fabrications, follies, foibles and false flags. Not the least of which was his extremely poor choice in framing this particular series of sermons, which seems to be his idea of a "discussion".

But I suppose being asked to "bow out of this conversation" is a slight improvement (albeit almost as imperceptible as "global warming", come to think of it) over being told that because my "original comment" was not addressed to him - and that he "mentioned [me] only in passing" - then I "should not have bothered with him [and presumably his transmogrification of my actual comment] further".

Oh, well, them's Richard's Rules of Order™, folks ;-)

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

Please lose the personal insults, Hilary, and I would be delighted to have you involved.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

And all of this conversation, along with new vanity threads, and bumping of old ones accomplishes what Drake wants... his original Godwinian faux pas to vanish into the archive.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

.Attention seekers seek attention.

Those who provide the attention they seek are joining in their game.

Those who don't wish to participate in their game don't pick up the cards.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

SandyS:

Interesting the amount of hostility this has caused. Would Eugenics, lysenkoism, The Spanish Inquisition and the ethics of ECT [have] had the same reaction if not why not?

Another good and difficult question. I won't attempt the comparatives. I haven't read details of torture during the Inquisition, though I know they are awful, an insult to the one who cried "Father forgive them" when he himself was tortured and killed right at the outset. (A plea the church was hasty to forget in their abysmal attitude to the Jews for many centuries.) And of course the believers in the settled science of thermageddon in the 21st century don't draw their hateful analogies for those who question them from ancient horrors, or the more recent alternatives you mention, but from the Shoah.

There are though two expressions - almost cliches - that I think are worth considering as we review progress (or lack of it) so far:

1. Shooting the messenger
2. Blaming the victims.

Of these the second is by far the most important. But it is noticeable that, despite all the talk of how terrible it is to deny the Holocaust, if you actually quote just a small amount of the detail of what went on you are at once accused of terrible sins yourself. I expected this though I have to admit I didn't expect so much initial stupidity - I thought that would come later! (This is why Barry Woods detecting self indulgence on my part was exquisitely wrong. Stubbornness maybe but self indulgence, vanity and the desire for a quiet life were not the main drivers, of that I can assure you!)

Blaming the victims is still going strong and is by the far the most important of the psychological/social flaws we exhibit in trying to process such terrible atrocities. I believe Nicolas Anelka should have been banned from playing football for life on Thursday, not just for five games. Just look at the smug expression on the face of another recent performer of the quenelle on the railway line outside Auschwitz. Just another manifestation of blaming the victims. And note that real denialism has that smugness precisely because of the deniability that comes built in with it. "It's not anti-semitic, it's anti-establishment." Yeah, right. We are used to such Stokesian gambits throughout the CAGW game, including from Michael Mann, who resolutely denies any link (the verb is unavoidable) between his frequent use of the denier label and the holocaust variant. But Mann knows very well that this is where the term gets its deadly power, both to offend and to deceive. Its use must stop.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

David Conn has done an excellent summary of the non-sequiturs in the Anelka verdict in Credit to FA over Nicolas Anelka's quenelle but system could be better in the Guardian in the last hour.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:34 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Here's where I want to get to with this thread. I don't know by when. These go back to my intro to Global warming Nazis:

1. The deleterious effects of 'denier' on the climate debate
2. Limitations and dangers of the Roy Spencer approach
3. Limitations and dangers of the Andrew Montford approach
4. Respect, as ever, to Dr Richard Lindzen
5. A new analogy with the Holocaust debate
6. Any other business, like how we put an end to 'denier' forever.

Questions and comments now, during, at the end or not at all? Any of the above is fine.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

The deleterious effects of 'denier' on the climate debate

I want to return to the interaction with 'Brendan H' in the 'Global warming Nazis' thread here, here and here. These are the relevant excerpts.

Brendan H:

But on thinking further about this issue, I’m now uneasy about making the comparison between climate denial and Holocaust denial, so I withdraw that claim. And of course, the moral culpability in the two cases is not comparable.

There’s a couple of oddities about this episode, though, in that Spencer is by no means the first climate sceptic to use the N word and its variants; and that climate sceptics seem to regard denial as a worse offence than the perpetration of the original act.

Richard Drake:

Where's your evidence for the second oddity?

Brendan H:

The evidence is primarily the different way the two epithets are handled by climate sceptics, and specifically some blogs:

• The outrage and indignation of climate sceptics over the term ‘denier’ versus the easy acceptance or outright cheerleading for the term ‘Nazi’ and variants

• Explicit banning of a particular word (‘denier’) on Watts Up With That, probably the most-read climate sceptic website, while other terms are relegated to ‘other detritus’

• The quick recourse to the Nazi theme (see: The Merchants of Smear, WUWT) when it suits a polemical purpose.

These sorts of actions and reactions show a blunted sensitivity to the difference between the two terms: one of them denotes a group that engaged in genocide, the other denotes people who engage in post-hoc denial. The two terms are not at all equivalent.

Despite this apparently polished answer I consider Brendan H's claim that 'climate sceptics seem to regard denial as a worse offence than the perpetration of the original act' as another outrageous smear. I hope anyone reading this thread so far would have realised that the original act of mass murder and humiliation of whole peoples is far and away worse in all our minds than 'secondary effects' such as denial today. The confusion I think arises because:

a) the Nazis had a long history as a radical political movement before the Holocaust began - indeed many of us think that it's from that earlier history that there may be most to learn about the climate scene at the moment

b) the Nazis did many other things apart from the perpetrating the Holocaust, such as suppressing free speech, though the Shoah was the nadir and can justly be seen as the culmination of all else.

I'm not going to argue this further right now but I utterly repudiate BH's accusation, even as I strongly support (for example) Anthony Watts over The Merchants of Smear. But it's also right that all this should be examined in the minutest detail. And I'm about to sound a warning or two myself about the approaches to 'denier' taken by Roy Spencer and by Andrew Montford, despite my strong support for both. Moral and linguistic minefield doesn't even come close.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Not central to this thread but I consider it very good news, in the last hour, in the fight against real 'denialism': Nicolas Anelka 'terminates' contract with West Brom

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

and all because of you, Drake...claim the credit

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

That's disgusting diogenes. You know I didn't say that. By trying to make this about me, we can only assume you're upset that I'm glad that someone who made an anti-semitic gesture (in a game I was watching with my son) and received a very light punishment has now succeeded in making a total fool of himself and, I assume, ended his career in Premier League football in England. Exactly what should have happened in the first place.

By all means be open about your support for Anelka or any other opinion you have on the matter but don't hide behind snide remarks as if that constituted real debate about something this important.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard Drake: ‘the Nazis did many other things apart from the perpetrating the Holocaust’

Yes, but the context of the ‘denier’ debate is the Holocaust, not the other stuff that the Nazis did. Many regimes are repressive and heavy-handed over rights. Only the Nazi perpetrated the event that is called the Holocaust.

‘I'm not going to argue this further right now but I utterly repudiate BH's accusation...’

More of an observation than an accusation, but by all means, reject my observation. However, you have failed to address my primary point: the outrage over ‘denier’ versus the muted response to claims of Nazism and genocide, which are not new in the sceptical climate blogosphere.

Climate sceptics have reacted to the Spencer broadside as if these terms had only just occurred to them: ‘My gosh, Roy’s right. These people really are just like Nazis. We lesser mortals never noticed the similarity. The man’s a genius.’

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:44 AM | Unregistered CommenterBrendan H

No, the context of 'denier' is an attempt to close down debate, through wholly inappropriate allusion to Holocaust deniers. 'Global warming Nazis', as proposed by Spencer, refers to this illiberal approach to criticism or even basic transparency, that the Nazis were guilty of long before they became mass murderers. Spencer also links the term to the many millions of the poor that have died, and are likely to die, as a result of policies advocated by those using the 'denier' label. As I've made clear I think that makes his arguments more powerful. But I'm coming on to limitations that have to apply.

As to the rest I am particularly grateful for your use of 'observation' instead of accusation. On this of all threads. Very helpful. But I'm going to have to come back to that - probably Tuesday, not before.

Meantime, in replying to diogenes, at 12:07, I didn't have the presence of mind to check the latest from the BBC on the Anelka affair. Ten minutes before they'd put up West Brom sack Nicolas Anelka for 'gross misconduct'. Exactly what I had in mind - and nice to see before I turned in.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard Drake : ‘No, the context of 'denier' is an attempt to close down debate ... 'Global warming Nazis' ... refers to this illiberal approach’

The debate is between a proposer and an opposer. In that context, the opposer will deny the primary premise – in this case, that human-induced climate change risks damage to human life and property and requires mitigation by collective action.

The opposer will attempt to include as much claimed evidence as possible to show that the premise is false. The proposer will attempt to limit the claimed evidence to support the premise.

As a result, the argument plays out as ‘denier’ and ‘Nazi’ -- 'denying the premise', 'shutting down the debate'. The mutual accusations are about where the boundaries of the argument lie, and how constrained they should be.

This says nothing about the morality of name-calling. People should try to be civil.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterBrendan H

You have a clever way with words strangely devoid of humanity - in an area that cries out for both precision and compassion. I want to return to your extraordinary move on 25th February:

But on thinking further about this issue, I’m now uneasy about making the comparison between climate denial and Holocaust denial, so I withdraw that claim. And of course, the moral culpability in the two cases is not comparable.

There’s a couple of oddities about this episode, though, in that Spencer is by no means the first climate sceptic to use the N word and its variants; and that climate sceptics seem to regard denial as a worse offence than the perpetration of the original act.

I've dealt with why the reasoning in the last paragraph was wrong. Now let's observe that:

1. at moment one you agree not only with the term climate denial but the comparison with Holocaust denial it implies

2. at moment two, without apology, you no longer think the comparison with Holocaust denial is valid but you still use climate denial and you at once smear climate sceptics in a quite different way: that we consider Holocaust denial a worse offence than the perpetration of the Holocaust itself.

And nobody picks you on this, apart from me. Reminiscent of the Middle Eastern mullahs who one moment praise Holocaust deniers, because the Jews have exaggerated the whole thing. The next they're praising Hitler for managing to kill so many Jews. Completely incompatible views - unless the whole aim is to denigrate and hurt the victims, whatever it takes.

Similarly, on the football terraces of the UK, there are those who say the Yids exaggerated the whole thing. The next moment, when my own team, Spurs, chant in defiance 'We are the Yid army' (gentiles like me included, remarkably), they make hissing noises to denote poison gas being released into the gas chambers. As Shub said so well:

That's exactly what the abusers want - to abuse, and your own license to abuse.

And once that license has in effect been given - by decent-minded sceptics not registering sufficiently strongly our contempt and non-acceptance - any stick, however inconsistent with the last one, is used to beat us. Thanks for the example.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard Drake: ‘...you at once smear climate sceptics in a quite different way: that we consider Holocaust denial a worse offence than the perpetration of the Holocaust itself ... Reminiscent of the Middle Eastern mullahs who one moment praise Holocaust deniers, because the Jews have exaggerated the whole thing. The next they're praising Hitler for managing to kill so many Jews.’

You asked me for evidence for my claim. I supplied that evidence. Instead of dealing with my evidence, you liken me to anti-semitic Middle Eastern mullahs.

I made two statements:

1. A withdrawal of the claim that climate denial is similar to Holocaust denial.

2. A claim that climate sceptics seemed to regard Holocaust denial as worse offence than the original act. (A poster upthread thought I might have been referring to accusations rather than the acts themselves, which is a useful distinction, although not a critical one.)

Statement (1) is a declaration, in the lingo a performative utterance. It makes no claim. It refers to one of my previous statements, and makes a material difference to that statement.

Statement (2) is a claim about the attitudes of climate sceptics.

My two statements are not even comparable because they deal with two quite different matters.

And again, you have failed to address my primary point: the outrage over ‘denier’ versus the muted response to claims of Nazism and genocide. It’s almost as if you are evading the issue.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:59 AM | Unregistered CommenterBrendan H

"And again, you have failed to address my primary point: the outrage over ‘denier’ versus the muted response to claims of Nazism and genocide. It’s almost as if you are evading the issue." Brendan H

I don't see that. While some grumbled about the prevalence of climate denier as an insult and thought Spencer was justified in retaliating, most haven't dwelt on the issue. Apart from the attention ADL got for condemning Spencer but not the abuse that pushed him to it, the Nazi thing has mostly been forgotten. I haven't seen comments accusing article writers of being Nazis for using 'denier', no matter how liberally repeated. At the moment only you and Richard Drake are keeping it alive.

Richard, the reason why your thread is over the top is because being called a denier is not necessarily the first step to our becoming victims of genocide. It could be, but there are a lot of barriers in the way. It could be nothing more than the dying kicks of something that knows it’s got no other way to win.

For sceptics to become victims of persecution we would have to be seen by the wider community as instrumental in causing them serious harm. The whinging of warmists to other warmists doesn’t constitute much of a threat because most of the public have moved on from AGW altogether. Should AGW become CAGW then things might change. The possibility is one good reason to maintain anonymity. For prominent sceptics, the biggest threat is from warmists who work themselves up into a frenzy and try to directly harm a sceptic, either physically or financially. If the sceptic works in climate science the risk is even higher. People like Spencer have a right to try and shock aggressive warmists into rethinking the use of hate speech that to tries and marginalize them. As such he has my support.

The second barrier to sceptics in general becoming victims, is the rule of law. Should society decide to make sceptics the scapegoat for global warming, I’m assuming that society wouldn’t have broken down to the point where we would be automatically found guilty without trial. Now, what law or even moral code have sceptics broken? What has any of us done or said that is unreasonable in the light of current information? At that point it wouldn’t be CO2 on trial, it would be a real person. CO2 has never been allowed to mount a defence in a court of law. It hasn’t been allowed to claim its benefits as evidence of previous good character. It was summarily found guilty and condemned. What level would society have to fall to do the same to people like Watts, Montford, Spencer and McIntyre, let alone Richard Drake, Brendan H and TinyCO2? They couldn’t even accuse us of emitting too much CO2 or if they did, a great many warmists would be ahead of us in the queue to the CO2 gas chamber.

‘Denier’ isn’t something we should completely ignore but it isn’t the signature on our death warrant either.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

TinyCO2:

Richard, the reason why your thread is over the top is because being called a denier is not necessarily the first step to our becoming victims of genocide.

Happily this means that the thread is not over the top as it nowhere makes that claim. When for example Geronimo asked me what winning would look like in this area I gave three levels, in decreasing order of desirability, and in all three current use of 'denier' did not lead to genocide. This happy news presumes though that sceptics have faced this horrible ingredient of the climate debate in the right way. Given the stakes involved that, I think, may still be worth discussion.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Nick Cohen writes in the Guardian today (h/t the Bish at top right of page):

David Cameron, who once promised that if you voted blue you would go green, now appoints Owen Paterson, a man who is not just ignorant of environmental science but proud of his ignorance, as his environment secretary. George Osborne, who once promised that his Treasury would be "at the heart of this historic fight against climate change", now gives billions in tax concessions to the oil and gas industry, cuts the funds for onshore wind farms and strips the Green Investment Bank of the ability to borrow and lend

All of which is a long way of saying that the global warming deniers have won. And please, can I have no emails from bed-wetting kidults blubbing that you can't call us "global warming deniers " because "denier" makes us sound like "Holocaust deniers", and that means you are comparing us to Nazis? The evidence for man-made global warming is as final as the evidence of Auschwitz. No other word will do.

Nick's Jewish of course. Before seeking to unpick what he writes two more fundamental points:

1. I fervently accept his right to say it as he sees it
2. We need at least one thread like this to think through such justifications for 'denier'.

I remember seeing Nick, a writer I admired, at the James Delingpole - George Monbiot debate at Free Word in December 2009, just after Climategate broke. I was both shocked and saddened at how angry he obviously was about people like me who doubted climate science and (above all) policy. In a way I'm glad he's spelled out how sure he is of 'the truth'. I'm sure we'll come back to it.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I wrote about that event at Free Word on Climate Audit in January 2010:

This came out in the UK to a degree that surprised even me in a packed auditorium with a number of famous journalists and writers present at Free Word, London base for the literary great and good concerned with freedom of expression across the world. (For example the excellent Libel Reform Campaign to rectify the UK’s terrible laws in that area.) This was the chosen venue for the debate on Climategate between George Monbiot and James Delingpole on 3rd December. Strictly the debate wasn’t about Climategate but about whether it is ever justifiable to liken AGW sceptics to holocaust deniers, as Monbiot had once done in print (and for which he offered a limited apology, is about the best one can say) – but it soon got broader.

I set the scene a little more than I have before partly because I think I still haven’t fully processed all that went on that night, good and bad. I did refer to one of the worst moments the next day on Climate Audit. During questions from the floor someone behind me astounded me by seeking to justify the perverting of the peer review process, as he admitted had gone on at CRU, in order to get people to act, because this would save so many millions of lives in the end. The other side of the coin inevitably being making criminals of those old-fashioned enough to oppose this kind of thing.

I was grateful that Monbiot at once distanced himself from this suggestion. But, if I’m any judge of an audience, there were far too many who were sympathetic. Which is the kind of thing Matt is talking about I think.

The atmosphere has changed radically in the UK since 3rd December but it’s worth being aware where some of the opposition are willing to let their logic take them.

All power to Steve’s emphasis on due process, at Matt says.

I was partly thinking about Nick as I wrote 'famous journalists'. Is it ever justifiable to liken AGW sceptics to holocaust deniers? That was the question in front of the great and good of the London literati in January 2010. In March 2014 Nick has said yes much more clearly and given his reasons. Once again, I'm grateful for the clarity, if not for the likely effects if such language becomes fully 'normalised'.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake