Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Denying the science

Richard, IMHO, this latest hobby-horse you seem to have mounted is really stretching far beyond "freedom of expression and debate". Whether it was your intention or not, you have introduced a potential "framing" that suggests a "comparison" that is beyond the pale.

And it does us all a disservice - not to mention the highly inappropriate inference that the actions documented by Lifton (in his very powerful and depressing book) have something to teach us about (as you put it in a comment you left on my blog recently) "how we should think about and react to [the label of] ‘climate deniers’" (my bold)

FWIW, my own reaction when I read your opening volley, above, was more or less along the lines of Tom Yulsman to Goodman's "suggestion" (as I had noted almost three years ago):

Excuse me, but being skeptical about the scientific basis for global warming is nowhere near on a par with Holocaust denial. That is an utterly offensive statement — one that seems to comes up more and more in liberal discourse about climate change. If this is reframing the issue, count me out. I’ll take run-of-the-mill catastrophism, thank you very much

So, to paraphrase Yulsman, I would say to you:

"Excuse me, but falsely - and even with malice aforethought - labelling those who are skeptical about the so-called scientific basis for global warming is nowhere near on a par with the experiments and other actions of the Nazi doctors during WWII. If you think that such a "debate" can lead to a constructive 'reframing' of the issue for skeptics to consider, count me out."

I cannot believe that you would even consider raising the possibility that it might be "legitimate to draw an analogy" between Mann and Vetter. Although for those who might be interested, my many years in the "trenches" of the newsgroup alt.revisionism (then the primary posting ground of the real deniers, i.e. those who deny the Holocaust), have led me to the conclusion that a case can be made for a legitimate "analogy" between Mann and David Irving (and their respective acolytes and lesser lights).

In fact, as you know, I have presented such a case, on my own blog: The many misrepresentations of Mann.

Consequently, if you truly believe that your "arguments" are worth pursuing, perhaps you would do well to consider Barry's sage advice that you do so on your own blog.

Furthermore, if a "vote" were to be held as to whether or not it would be a good idea for you to request that Andrew delete this discussion, I would vote "aye" without a moment's hesitation.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

It is heartening to see the rest of this blog catch up with my own assessment of Richard made some time ago.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

Burning discussions? Andrew can delete this, however that is unwise I think. Very.

This is Andrew's blog, he is the only one who can action anything. He could lock the discussion with his viewpoint clearly stated as a final post.

Disagree with Richard, but to close down and remove the evidence? Short sighted and futile. SKS get accused of that all the time. "Save to PDF" is always there. And also implies that there is something to be ashamed of.

One man expressing/looking for opinions on historical context is what free speech is all about. And the definition of free speech here is solely defined by Andrew.

Be careful of enforcing the BH establishment. No blog has a right to exist. Empires fall and rise.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Did anyone call for it to be deleted?

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

TBYJ in my world, it is worse... I get very sensitive to mob rule... and there is a gentle probe for mobilisation...

The difference between the "secret police" knocking on your door in the middle of the night, "disappearing" you, or everyone standing outside throwing stones wanting you to wear a slogan around your neck...

See Richard's post does provide a catalyst for all sorts of things. That is why free speech is so important. Even if Andrew deletes, this event lived and altered everyone who participated. For me it gave ideas for something else. Perhaps others had a think about their own views. Catalysts.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

It's easy to say unhelpful things under the guise of free speech. I don't think anyone is saying that Richard shouldn't say these things if he wants to, only in the sense of saying it here, when so many people find it unhelpful and don't wish to be associated with it. Rather than bowing to the views of those he wishes to engender, he comes out punching. Doesn't surprise me, not does it surprise me that he concocts a 'free speech' victimhood to defend himself with.

Nothing he does in his quest for self-publicity surprises me. Even the continuation of this discussion about him gives him a deal of pleasure, I'm sure.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

@Jiminy Cricket

Burning discussions? Andrew can delete this, however that is unwise I think. Very.

This is Andrew's blog, he is the only one who can action anything. [...]

Yes, and if you read what I had actually written in my completely hypothetical musing, I fully recognized this! My hypothetical "vote" was not on whether or not this discussion should be deleted. Rather it was on whether or not it would be a good idea for Richard to make such a request to Andrew.

I hope you also noticed, Jiminy, that I did not say "let's have a vote". Nor would I say so now. But I could think of no other way of politely expressing my disdain for Richard's unfathomable choices.

Incidentally, if anyone could be accused of "enforcing the BH establishment", the only candidate I've seen who might lean towards such a sentiment is the author of a comment left on my blog which included "how we should think about and react to [the label of] ‘climate deniers’".(my bold). And, as noted in my Mar 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM comment above, the author was Richard!

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

V O L T A I R E

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen, and that is why we fail. Just because you are free to do something doesn't make it wise to do so.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM | stewgreen

This is not about freedom of speech, despite RD having dropped in that assumption yesterday. No one is asking for him to be silenced or censored. They each expressed their distaste and/or plea for him to abandon an unproductive and damaging direction. I'm sure Voltaire would approve of their right to do so. Article 19 of the Declaration of Human Rights says that the exercise of free speech comes with certain moral responsibilities and duties.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM | Unregistered CommenterAndy West

I do understand people invoking Godwin's law. Don't let them control frames of reference. But you are playing with fire so be careful not to lose time which would be better used for other issues

- And the point that it is better done on your own blog rather than risk tarnishing Bishop's, however the right to offend is an important part of free speech. So are dramagreens free to say what they want, but we are to tie one hand behind our backs ?
- I think rational people can see clear parallels between the type of mass brainwashing and totalitarianism, intolerance of opposition, "our dogma=truth=science" that happened with the Nazis, Stalinists, and many other past political & religious regimes. And I do make those analogies on my own website, I am damn well am a victim of bully eco-Nazis who are destroying freedoms, and inflict propaganda that makes me sick into so much media, particularly BBC, ABC etc.

- 1. Shouting "denier" is a clear reference to the Holocaust and Nazis.. so it's the dramagreens who "started it" (talking about the Nazis).
- 2. It also has equal weight to shouting "Nazi", that is why it is used.
.. It is part of a game where dramagreens try to set the terms of reference.. to which I call BS.
- Time and a place : what is acceptable on skeptic blogs is not the same as what you would use on TV. However if in a TV debate a dramagreen labelled me "Stew the denier" I would immediately counterpunch, with "I object to being called a denier, it is not a scientific word & is ironically used to bully by people we might call Eco-Nazis"
- Yes, You have to understand that you are playing with fire, and you have to be careful not to get bogged down and lose time that would be better used for other issues, but we should control our own we shouldn't bow to letting the dramagreens set the terms of public debate.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Hilary:

Richard, IMHO, this latest hobby-horse you seem to have mounted is really stretching far beyond "freedom of expression and debate".

Please provide your definition of hobby-horse. I wanted to float some ideas and I began in a provocative manner. I don't yet apologise for either. Your loaded language in response is typical, both of you and of others who wish to close down the debate I've begun. In precisely what sense is this a hobby-horse and, just for the record, what were my last three? After receiving your answer I might consider what else you write.

Barry (Mar 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM): I didn't know you smoked dope. It's a little ironic. Your "self indulgent" is that wide of the mark. If you're willing to retract it I may consider your suggestion to post some (not all) of the rest of my thoughts on this elsewhere. (I don't have a blog that people can comment on right now but there are various ways to get round that.)

Mostly, however, I agree with Jiminy and stewgreen. TinyCO2 also made an excellent contribution but revealed a horribly wrong assumption within it:

Sceptics share very few similarities with those who have been persecuted in the past. Very few.

Totally agree. What I'd written about Michael Mann was:

… Mann's bad science has not been directly lethal to his fellow human beings …

Not directly is the key phrase there. I suggest we could all do with re-reading Roy Spencer, on whom a lot of my own reflections and questions are based:

Like the Nazis, they are anti-capitalist. They are willing to sacrifice millions of lives of poor people at the altar of radical environmentalism, advocating expensive energy policies that increase poverty. And if there is a historically demonstrable threat to humanity, it is poverty.

The victims are not well-fed sceptics in the West but they number in the millions. What kind of language does justice to that situation, without adding further insult to the massive injuries of the Holocaust? As well as registering in the strongest terms our horror at the casual defamation (and insult to the memory of the real victims of the Shoah) implicit in the label denier. That's what I wanted to explore here.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

"2. It is not legitimate to draw an analogy between Michael Mann and Helmuth Vetter, because Mann's bad science has not been directly lethal to his fellow human beings in the way Vetter's was."

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:59 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

= "Mann's bad science has been directly lethal to his fellow human beings however he used a means different from the injection of typhus bacteria".

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterPrivate Joker

Particulate emissions from fossil fuels are directly lethal to millions of people, so are you going to start calling coal and oil company workers or executives Nazis or comparing them with death camp doctors? Get a grip!

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

I draw people's attention to the brilliant new WUWT thread The silence of the Anti Defamation League suggests they endorse defamation of climate skeptics, which includes a sobering list of 'the great and the good' making explicit comparison between climate scepticism and Holocaust denial. My own contribution agrees with Mark Bofill that

Rhetoric like that is the way mobs work themselves up to lynchings and other atrocities.

But let's take extreme care to distinguish between likely future effects of such language, however disgusting, and what has already happened. As TinyCO2 has rightly implied, so far we have bundles to be grateful for and are in nothing like the terrible predicament of the Jews and Gypsies in the years 1941-1945. The leadership Anthony Watts, Roy Spencer and others are giving on this makes it much less likely that we will be victims in a similar way. Yet each day we live in comfort the world's poorest succumb to the extra pressures brought on by biofuel subsidies and ignorant, CO2-obsessed energy policies. Spencer's balance in covering this latter point makes his a particularly important contribution in my view.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard, re your Mar 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Perhaps you could provide some ... oh, I dunno ... evidence (instead of your hand-wavy whines) to the effect that I and/or others have used "loaded language ... to close down the debate [you've] begun".

I fully appreciate that in your eyes, your attention-seeking monologues - not to mention the silly Stokesian games you choose to play - may well constitute "debate" and/or a discussion worth continuing. Others may see things differently.

In the meantime, please do let me know what it is about the phrase, "count me out" that you are having such difficulty understanding.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

So no explanation of 'hobby-horse' or apology for it? By all means count yourself out. I certainly do.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Chandra
Hardly relevant, throughout human history High energy costs = excess winter deaths equally irrelevant to this discussion. Sitting by wood fires in caves was also a mixed blessing on the particulate emissions front, and that is using "renewalable" energy.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

@Richard Drake

no explanation of 'hobby-horse'

Oh, drat! I must have used "hobby-horse" instead of "high-horse". In your case, it can be somewhat challenging to tell 'em apart! Particularly when you choose to zoom in (and harp) on such minor flippancies, rather than respond to a comment in an intellectually honest, adult way. Oh, well ... c'est la vie. Do carry on Mr. Stokes ooops ... sorry ... Drake.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

I wrote two highly positive things about you on your blog a week ago but your strange fantasies about me did not allow you to say one positive thing in return and now your input here is contaminated by ridiculous and pathetic insults.

Let's just accept that I am the devil to you. I once told you that you were too wordy. I'm sometimes blunt like that. This may have destroyed your self-esteem and/or all good feelings for me. I have no solution for that.

But, just in case you are wrong about me, please bow out of this conversation. There are important things at stake here, as you of all people should understand. Please allow those of us willing to talk about it in this particular place to do so. There are plenty of others you are welcomed and appreciated.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:17 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I want to return to my initial post and suggest one reason that it is so shocking, in the words of John Gray, the UK political philosopher:

“I had been puzzled by the intensity and systematic and methodical character of the violence of the 20th century, because that century was dominated not by religious belief, but by secular belief in progress or the capacity of human beings to create a better world. It also featured unprecedented levels of mass murder.

“But I was even more puzzled by how quickly the memory of the 20th century began to fade; that, with the threat of religious-linked terrorism, the lesson of that secular fanaticism that had cost tens of millions of lives in Russia and China – and continues to do so in Sri Lanka and Nepal – seemed to be completely forgotten. And the reason those terrors have gone into the memory hole is that they illuminate cracks and absurdities in the beliefs of the secular humanist faith in progress.”

Too often, in my view, lofty discussions about those who 'deny the science' do not face up to what science itself has done in very recent history. Even the frequent, definite and deliberate comparison of sceptics with holocaust deniers (as shown by WUWT yesterday) takes it for granted that the 'good people' know everything that the Holocaust contained. But this in my experience is far from true.

It is therefore a shock to be reminded not just of the horrors of the period but of the central role played by scientists, harbingers of progress in the dreams of the Enlightenment, within it. Working for commercial brands that are still well-known today. (Happily we know these companies paid generous compensation to the victims since. Or do we in fact know nothing about this? The record has in my view been abysmal.)

I chose one of the milder examples in the book but I wanted our discussion to be grounded in sickening reality. This is what we are being accused of denying - well, of denying something that is equally bad and equally certain. I wanted to drive home just how terrible that accusation against sceptics is.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

This guy has no shame.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

That I know is not true - as you would if you'd had the guts to meet me when that was suggested some months ago. What is true is what I wrote yesterday:

I wanted to float some ideas and I began in a provocative manner. I don't yet apologise for either.

Notice the 'yet'. I still haven't given my reasons for asking question two or my answers to the subsequent questions. Once those are down in virtual print - possibly tonight - I will be intensely interested in the reactions, questions and criticisms of all comers.

Those who pronounced their verdict having only read the questions I thought made themselves look stupid. Perhaps I too will look stupid at the end. But as Ghandi said

One must become as humble as the dust before he can discover truth.

Nowhere is this more true than the Holocaust, which the rhetoric of alarmists has made front and centre of the global warming debate.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard Drake,
your sockpuppet here!
Interesting the amount of hostility this has caused. Would Eugenics, lysenkoism, The Spanish Inquisition and the ethics of ECT had the same reaction if not why not?

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

I didn't make the phrase up, and I don't know who did, but it's a good standby question for anyone who, like you, makes a proposition.

What would victory look like for you?

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo