Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Masstra2014 questions to sceptics.

Dung,

> However the Bishop Hill regulars include highly qualified
> Chemists, Engineers, Physicists, and Mathematicians (and
> probably some I have forgotten!). As a group they are
> highly intelligent people who have read a great deal and
> have a good grasp of the whole subject.

Your claim for authority on behalf of your Chemists, Engineers, Physicists, and Mathematicians misses the fact that each of those fields is so wide that even your supposed authorities are unlikely to know very much in detail about climate science. Ask an actuary to judge different methods of data homogenisation and he's likely as not got nothing expert to offer. Ask an electrical transmission engineer to judge the quality of a high speed digital or sensitive analogue circuit and he'll probably give you nothing but generalities. Your authorities may or may not have been expert in their narrow fields at some time but that doesn't mean they hold the keys to climate science and more than it makes a sushi chef an expert at flipping burgers. You are relying on the authority of non-authorities.

> Where do you fit in Chandra?

Like I said, maybe before you joined, I don't claim expert knowledge.

Martin A,

> And any fule kno that, to home on the hot tailpipe of a
> jet engine, you don't need measurements (still less
> 'calculations') of gaseous emission spectra.

I read that missiles home in on more than just tailpipe emissions and use knowledge of emission spectra to counter contermeasures. So I'd expect engineers trying to track infrared from a target 50km distant would want to have a detailed knowledge of how the air between them and the target was going to transmit and distort the IR and the nature of the emissions from the target from all angles.

But I'm not an expert engineer like you, so how should I know?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

OK Chandra

I've never responded directly to you in these threads before but I will try with this one.

I can accept that you have a stance based on your belief of AGW and that is just fine, really it is, the world I hope will never become monochrome!. As with many things there will be an ideological foundation to the belief (me too before you fire that one back at me). You will have read my comments many times before and will know my position (by the way, I am also motivated to comment to you by the new chap maestra as I wish him/her to see how interactions differ between the two camps given his/her equivocal stance). The purpose of a debate is actually to influence those observing..People often miss that one...

Like you I am not, in any way whatsoever, in a climate-science related field (my area is medical) so (like you) I cannot offer an authoritative opinion, just one based on a "feel" (if you like). But I do have a very good grasp of whether a scientific argument is consistent or not. Also as to whether an argument is scientific to begin with. So now I'm contradicting myself because I state that I have a belief which has little place in scientific analysis. That's ok though.

I most certainly am not in the practice of the ad-hominem at all (in fact, I view the different and opposing view as one requiring education not a form of abuse..please note, a form only). If the opposing argument makes more sense I will very rapidly shift and not cling to an old paradigm. This is as it should be.

A question I suppose after all this pontificating.

Chandra.

Is there ANY aspect of the entire climate issue over the years that has made you go " Hmm, that's not right at all, I'll check other sources including those going against my current viewpoint"?.

Anything at all? If so, would you mind telling me what that changed view was about? I will not attempt to make any political capital out of such change of view. I will promise that (not that any promise on a forum like this means much of course...but it is offered sincerely...but then how can you know?.....ah well...)

Would you subscribe to the notion that a dissenting view should be suppressed?

I'm trying to engender a flexibility of thought here.

You will note that I don't say that what I think is immutably correct for all time. I may actually be very wrong indeed.

I just don't believe so.

I haven't got into the whole providing citations thing you notice, that's been done all far too often between unqualified people who usually won't understand the physics and statistics anyway.

I'm getting at the broader philosophy of faith/belief and the like.

Anyway Chandra, I suspect you are a perfectly reasonable human being just trying to get along and I certainly don't harbour any ill-will towards you. I'm just chatting with you. It's fair that you challenge. Please cut out the snide remarks (even if others are snide to you......it's a good skill to possess, honest).

I do not think of you as a warmist.....can you return that respect please?

I've prattled enough.

Cheers mate (er....are you a bloke?)........sorry, not sure.

Andy

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones

Chandra

Most of the time when you argue on this blog, (I am all in favour of polite and rational argument) but you very rarely provide relevant references to your position.

As it happens I am a qualified meteorologist, worked for the UKMO for many years, was a senior forecaster for a private weather company and have a related private weather impact research business and was elected a fellow of RMetS many years ago. Does that qualify my comments?

We have accurately (that's relative) recorded weather for a very very short period of time of the Earth's existence. Analysis using proxy data (ice-core, paleo etc), whilst useful, shouldn't be seen as exact. There is doubt in temperature assimilation using these methods whether it is carbon decay in ice cores or accuracy of tree-ring growth. Measuring temperature history which involves photosynthesising organisms is never going to be totally accurate as there are many other factors, such as CO2/water vapour balance, wet/dry balance, high/low photon balance and nutrients which affect growth. It isn't just temperature, a high temperature with no/low photon count equals no growth!

I have doubt about temperature accuracy in respect to UHI and other adjustments made to raw data. I am very sceptical of global gridded temperature anomalies and the accuracy thereof.

I don't understand why all climate models are bias to the effect of CO2. Yet for 17 years they all run much warmer than observations. Over the last 17-21 years the relationship between CO2 and temperature rise has become statistically insignificant - so there must be other more important factors which caused the warming. Since records began (1659 CET) we have been recovering from the LIA, so not surprising temperature has been rising, also not surprising that recent (since 2000) temperatures have been the warmest on record. On that record by the way the temperature has only risen 0.80 Deg C in 354 years.

I don't understand why CO2 is regarded as BAD, it is vital for life and only dangerous to humans and most other flora and fauna in excess of >5000ppm a long way from the 0.04% of GHG we have today

When I hear about the wettest/driest, hottest/coldest on record it is quite meaningless in terms of climate because of our poor knowledge of the past and our record being so small.

I am concerned about the peer review and funding processes, statistical analysis and quality of research nowadays, relating to climate change. I have read quite a few papers recently about the effect of climate on birds, butterflies, and seals connecting the changes in their habits (mostly declines in populations) due to global warming and changing climate. Considering these papers are covering periods of research within the last 20 years, the problem is, in the UK where the research covers, the temperature trend has been downward for 21 years. They really do not understand the effect of weather, but get published having been peer reviewed.

I have many other concerns about the political decisions being made on the basis of what is not a settled science (it has a very long way to go to gain a very good understanding), and with no consensus (there is plenty doubt).

Rambled enough, but you get the idea, as a scientist I am sceptical.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterNeilC

Chandra -

"I read that missiles home in on more than just tailpipe emissions and use knowledge of emission spectra to counter contermeasures. So I'd expect engineers trying to track infrared from a target 50km distant would want to have a detailed knowledge of how the air between them and the target was going to transmit and distort the IR and the nature of the emissions from the target from all angles.

But I'm not an expert engineer like you, so how should I know?"

Yes, how should you know. And, yes, I have had some involvement with systems for optical missile guidance - although in this case simple knowledge of basic physics plus common sense is sufficient.

You do seem to have a tendency to assume that everybody (except for the posters on SkS) has a level of ignorance to match or even exceed yours.

EM was talking about the 1st generation heat seakers developed in the 1950's where "what you read" is as irrelevant as it possibly could be. Those missiles did not even have cooling for their IR detectors. They were short range and homed onto hot solid objects.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I think it is regrettable that Maestra2014 was made to feel unwelcome by some commenters questioning the genuineness of her questions, especially as the thread was originally kicked off specifically for the purpose of answering her questions.

Not sure what should be done differently in future. But it's not a bad principle in general to assume that a person is genuine, and to act accordingly, in the absence of firm information to the contrary.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

I like what you said about trusting people.
I spent over 35 years in sales positions with Goodyear Tyres and when dealing with customers I always began a relationship by trusting the customer. I was aware that this could (and did) go wrong but for the genuine customers the initial trust was worth far more than the odd bad apple ^.^
On the other hand once I had proof that someone had deceived me, I dropped them like a hot brick.
Chandra has proved himself (or perish the thought; herself) to be deceitful, disruptive, ignorant, persistent and downright offensive. Once again I question why he is not banned.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM | Registered CommenterDung

Jones,

> Is there ANY aspect of the entire climate issue over the
years that has made you go " Hmm, that's not right at all,
I'll check other sources including those going against my
current viewpoint"?.

I have only become interested in climate relatively recently, but yes my interest was piqued when I read something that contradicted some basic climate science. So I read various websites that shared that view and various that didn't. And as with many other things I have looked at since, it all turned out to be 100 times more complicated than what I had ever read or imagined.

> Would you subscribe to the notion that a dissenting view
should be suppressed?

No, why should I?

NeilC,

> ...Does that qualify my comments?

Qualify in the sense of making them more authoritative? Various people here promote their own or the site's apparent authority, quoting experience in varied fields none of which is directly climate-science related. Your claim to authority maybe comes closer than some, but I'm not aware of expertise in weather forecasting necessarily implying expertise in climate science, as opposed tojust in weather forecasting.

Attempts at argument from authority on this site are ironic. There are many scientists who have real authority in climate science, James Hansen, Gavin Schmidt, Richard Betts to name just three familiar names from a field of thousands. Yet people here dismiss what they say for their preferred authorities, people like Montford and Delingpole.

As I said earlier, people pretend they are making up their own minds about climate science when all they are really doing is choosing a preferred set of (false) authorities.

> Analysis using proxy data (ice-core, paleo etc), whilst
useful, shouldn't be seen as exact.

Where has anyone who knows about these things claimed exactitude?

> I have doubt about temperature accuracy in respect to UHI
and other adjustments made to raw data. I am very
sceptical of global gridded temperature anomalies and the
accuracy thereof.

Well, yes, I imagine everyone is, that is why people try to improve them (eg C&W13 improving HadCRUT4). Currently they are the best we have. What would you prefer, nothing at all?

> Over the last 17-21 years the relationship between CO2 and
temperature rise has become statistically insignificant -
so there must be other more important factors which caused
the warming.

Non-sequitur.

> Since records began (1659 CET) we have been recovering
from the LIA, ...

You're quite sure of that? You are "very sceptical of global gridded temperature anomalies", despite its base in modern technology, but you're quite sure that the LIA was a global phenomenon. That is the thing about so many skeptics - their skepticism only applies to things that disagree with their biases - on anything else they are credulous.

> When I hear about the wettest/driest, hottest/coldest on
record it is quite meaningless in terms of climate because
of our poor knowledge of the past and our record being so
small.

Meaningless, really? What would be a meaningful event in your mind?

> I am concerned about the peer review and funding
processes, statistical analysis and quality of research
nowadays, relating to climate change.

From personal experience at the Met Office or from blog gossip?

> I have read quite a few papers recently about the effect
of climate on birds, butterflies, and seals connecting the
changes in their habits (mostly declines in populations)
due to global warming and changing climate. Considering
these papers are covering periods of research within the
last 20 years, the problem is, in the UK where the
research covers, the temperature trend has been downward
for 21 years. They really do not understand the effect of
weather, but get published having been peer reviewed.

Bird and butterfly distributions vary greatly with species so a country-wide temperature index might not be appropriate. Can you supply some references, it sounds interesting. But downward for 21 years? That is not obvious from HadCET, are you using another index? And seals don't live in central England, so which sea/coastal temp index are you using there?

Martin A

> You do seem to have a tendency to assume that everybody
(except for the posters on SkS) has a level of ignorance to
match or even exceed yours.

I'm well aware that you personally know more than I could ever hope to in your field. But there are many here who know no more than I, but pass thmselves off as some sort of experts using what they just found out on Wiki of wherever. I make it clear when I just learnt something, but I get the feeling you would be more comfortable if I pretended just like others.

> EM was talking about the 1st generation heat seakers
developed in the 1950's where "what you read" is as
irrelevant as it possibly could be. Those missiles did not
even have cooling for their IR detectors. They were short
range and homed onto hot solid objects.

So there was just one type of IR detector, which they wired up to some amplifiers and actuators, stuck a rocket, a bomb and a fuse in it and they had a Sidewinder. Maybe that was how it went, I'm sure things were primitive.

But I have a hard time thinking that when it didn't work so well they didn't start measuring emission spectra and sensor sensitivities and try to match the two.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Tedium Warning to BH readers. Most readers are likely to find this comment extremely tedious. It's mainly a recap of previous comments in this thread. Probably best to skip it. .

Chandra -

"So there was just one type of IR detector, which they wired up to some amplifiers and actuators, stuck a rocket, a bomb and a fuse in it and they had a Sidewinder. Maybe that was how it went, I'm sure things were primitive.

But I have a hard time thinking that when it didn't work so well they didn't start measuring emission spectra and sensor sensitivities and try to match the two."

Your comment here is quite different from the comment you made previously and to which I responded. I'll recap the thread below.

A couple of points to start with:

[1] The development of the Sidewinder missile was an absolutely amazing achievement involving several simultaneous jumps in technique (tracking IR detector, controlled supersonic manoeuvring flight, gas generator powered flight controls). All done with miniaturised vacuum tube electronics and all integrated into a closed loop system. You can bet that everything relevant was measured and calculated with utmost care and precision and was verified at every stage. Primitive is not a term that can be applied to the development.

The kind of trial and error bodging you have imagined would have zero chance of succeeding with a system of that complexity and potential for instability in its feedback systems.
[2] The emission spectra of the targets were known from standard physics (Planck's law) and the sensitivity spectrum of the IR detector would have been precisely calibrated by its developers. Undoubtedly the match between the two would have been checked at a very early stage. But that's nothing to do with your earlier comment.

Here's a recap of this sub-thread, which is mingled with several other concurrent sub-threads.

This sub-thread seems to be an analogue of Browning motion, each step going off in a more or less random direction from the previous one.

### I posted I think climate science needs to be redone.
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

### Up pops Entropic Man and says that "this has already been tried" missing the point either intentionally or through lack of insight.
Feb 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM |

### I explain to EM that it's all of atmospheric physics (in relation to climate) that needs to be redone not just the re-analysis of the temperature records.
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

### Entropic Man has an unfortunate tendency to make stuff up or half remember stuff and then present it as fact. It's doubly unfortunate as he does occasionally comes up with genuinely interesting and challenging points. The stuff he makes up is not necessarily untrue but neither is it necessarily true. This is what philosophers term "bullshit". In this case, EM came up with the following fantasy:

" For example, the first serious calculation of infrared emission spectra was done during the development of IR-guided air-to-air missiles. Bill McLean started this in 1947."
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

### I pointed out that he was talking rubbish as development of the first heat seeking missiles dated years and years after measurement of gas IR emission spectra was routine.
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM

### At this point, Chandra pops up and comes up with some stuff he's found somewhere and thinks is germane:
"I read that missiles home in on more than just tailpipe emissions and use knowledge of emission spectra to counter countermeasures. So I'd expect engineers trying to track infrared from a target 50km distant would want to have a detailed knowledge of how the air between them and the target was going to transmit and distort the IR and the nature of the emissions from the target from all angles."

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM

### I refrained from pointing out several ways in which common sense says those things are nonsense (a need to counter countermeasures while developing the first heat seaker? IR target acquisition and tracking at 50km? plus...) and I simply said those things were not relevant to the designers of a short range missile homing on the hot tailpipe of a jet engine.
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM

### Finally (to date) up pops Chandra again and says

"So there was just one type of IR detector, which they wired up to some amplifiers and actuators, stuck a rocket, a bomb and a fuse in it and they had a Sidewinder. Maybe that was how it went, I'm sure things were primitive.
But I have a hard time thinking that when it didn't work so well they didn't start measuring emission spectra and sensor sensitivities and try to match the two."

I've commented on that above. Whether or not your description is a reasonable description of how the Sidewinder was developed, it has nothing to do with the suggestion that the first measurements of gaseous absorption/emission spectra were done by the developers of the Sidewinder missile - the fairy story dreamed up by EM.

Final Note - advice to Chandra. I have noticed that sometimes you imagine how things are and, to you, this obviously becomes very convincing. However, to other readers, what you have imagined is nothing more than that, and it is not convincing to them. Also, don't forget the advice from a previous commenter on this thread - don't bother giving links to SkS. For BH readers, that immediately erases any credibility your comment might have had.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I must take some blame for chasing away Maestra, if I have. I blurted out whatever was on my mind.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM | Registered Commentershub

Martin A,

You missed part of your own input in your potted history:

> And any fule kno that, to home on the hot tailpipe of a
> jet engine, you don't need measurements (still less
> 'calculations') of gaseous emission spectra.

I replied to this comment and as far as I am aware, what I said was not wrong, even if it has little bearing on EM's initial comment.

Emission spectra of black bodies may well have be known from Plank's law. And if the target jet engine temperature profile in flight was well known and if a jet engine in the atmosphere is a good appromimation for a "black body" (no, I don't have a detailed grasp of what that means), then I stand corrected. There was indeed no need for measurement when developing Sidewinder. My bet, all the same, is that they measured the hell out of it.

Shub, I'm pretty sure that maestra2014 (little m) was geronimo (little g) playing games. I'm also inclined to think as Maestra2014 (big M) hasn't once answered anyone's questions or given any sort of feedback on what she has been told that she is a psychological researcher or some such. How else to explain my singlular lack of success in pointing out reality?

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Martin A

This is the descendant of the early IR spectrum work.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hitran/

To quote from the HITRAN website.

"The database is a long-running project started by the Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories (AFCRL) in the late 1960's in response to the need for detailed knowledge of the infrared properties of the atmosphere. "

The first generation of missiles homed on the 4.5 micrometre radiation from hot CO2 in the jet exhaust, but were too easy to fool, so they looked at other possibilities.

Perhaps you remember this data. It is partly accessible now, but was probably classified when you worked in the field.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Shub, I'm still here. No harm, no foul!

How delightful to see that now I am being accused of not actually existing, but in being a figment of geronimo's creative writing exercise. If such were true, i wish he would have made me appear more clever and with a stronger background in engineering! I give him credit, though, in choosing to make me American and thus remembering to omit the "u" in some of the words I choose to write (color, harbor, etc.) and in my syntax.

I see now that the level of outright paranoia displayed by Chandra is undeniable. I'm a psychological researcher? Nope. Do I get to choose a pretend career for myself, rather than being assigned one? If so, I choose to be Wonder Woman. That way, I can conduct my very important psychological research from the comfort and safety of my invisible jet.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:43 AM | Unregistered CommenterMaestra2014

Emission spectra of black bodies may well have be known from Plank's law.
I don't think so. Plank's Law is that in any serious scientific discussion some brainless know-all will do their best to disrupt the debate.
For those unfamiliar with the expression "thick as two short planks" ...
Zed's Corollary is that the level of intellect of the disruptor is in inverse proportion to the consideration and good manners shown to those taking part in the debate.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Which would you go for if you were me? (tailpipe or exhaust plume?)

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM | Unregistered Commenterlittle rattler

"The database is a long-running project started by the Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories (AFCRL) in the late 1960's in response to the need for detailed knowledge of the infrared properties of the atmosphere. "

EM - OK, no problem with that. (It's a bit different from your 1947+sidewinder comment)

Anything done by/for the US military or NASA (prior to say 1970) can probably be accepted as genuine stuff that will not need to be redone But none of that would have been thought of as 'climate science' at the time.

It would (I should say it *will* - I'm sure it will be done eventually) be a useful academic study to trace how climate science came off the rails. I think it probably went wrong almost as soon as it got started.

It was clearly a combination of things - mediocre geography lecturers suddenly finding themselves 'professors of climate science'; pressure to produce 'results' resulting in model outputs being accepted as a valid substitute for physical evidence; the establishment of research centres with a specific assignment as to the result they should find.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Hia Chandra

Sorry for the laaate response. I (believe it or not!) have a real life to manage as well as have a bit of a chat on fora like these..

Thank you for that, very reasonable responses.

We both have our views and as with all things time will tell which of us is wrong (because it may be me as I said above). It will make the future intersesting either way I guess.

Thank you for your view that you wouldn't suppress dissenting climate views. I suspect many would however with some advocating violence to do so but that's not you Chandra, I recognise that and say so without artifice.

I genuinely would engage with you via private correspondence if you would like? But completely understand if you'd rather not. The anonymity of the internet does offer a good comfort zone and that's ok.

See you around Chandra no doubt and I'll will only ever be civil with you.

See yer.....

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM | Unregistered Commenterjones