Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Masstra2014 questions to sceptics.

Of course I could be wrong and actually it's ALL rubbish.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

HaroldW
Chandra is not faintly interested in your opinions on anything, up-thread or anywhere else, except insofar as they provide him with further excuse to demonstrate how shallow his knowledge is.
Like BBD he is gleaning his information from his own pet web sites and it is becoming ever clearer that they are travelling from his eyes to his fingers without passing through his brain.
I'm not even sure he agrees with half of what he writes; he just needs to be disputatious because he sees reasoned debate as a threat to his faith in AGW. In that at least he is correct.
(Note the latest subtle ad hom aimed at geronimo. Having been challenged to get the handle right, it is now always 'small-g geronimo'. He thinks he's a master of diversion tactics. He isn't.)

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

MJ - and rather transparently manipulative too...

"I have no relevant high level qualifications and I have insufficient time to read, let alone understand, enough of the many scientific papers on climate-related topics that I would need to come to my own informed conclusion on the science. Hence I have to trust the opinions of others. The real question then is who am I going to trust - cos I sure don't trust myself?"

"You confuse me and I think you are confused yourself. Do you believe that CO2 causes an energy imbalance or not? If you do, then do you really doubt that most of the resulting accumulated energy goes into the oceans? You won't have trouble finding graphs that show increasing OHC but you claim there has been no increase. As by your own admission, you are not that knowledgable, you are presumably relying on someone else to tell you that OHC is not increasing. Do your sources have any more idea on the subject than you?"

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

Pure ad-hom from the Jackson. There's a surprise. Actually HaroldW is one of the more reliable commenters here (and not in the little-g geronimo sense).

splitpin (I presume you also insist on a little-s), manipulative? I don't get it. If you are going to trust someone on something it makes sense to trust someone who is in a position to know, not someone who is just loud and opinionated. I would never suggest Maestra2014 trust my opinion on anything related to climate science, nor yours, nor geronimo's, nor Andrew Montford's or his favourite dog astrology journal, nor Watts, nor the potty peer (especially not) etc. She should read what people who know and study climate write and think (and not in the Jacksonian, journalistic, sense of the word "study").

I guess I am barking up the wrong tree to expect consistency from anyone here. It is clearly a core skill of the pseudoskeptic to accept for example that there is an energy imbalance and yet deny that the oceans are warming; or to deny what we know about present global temperatures but be certain about climate of the last 10000 years and write fairytales about individual blocks of ice drifting through the Fram Strait.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

"I guess I am barking up the wrong tree..."

Yes you are. Bugger off now.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM | Registered Commentershub

I think I have noticed a trend - although the sample is rather small to draw any firm conclusions. (BB, BBD, Zedbad,...)

1. A CAGW Believer turns up and poses questions/comments (evidently having read something like "How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic"). Their knowledge of physics generally seems to have be limited more or less to rote learning. They seem adept at quoting things they have read but their comments don't seem to show any fundamental understanding of the points under discussion. They tend to say things like "go and read some science" - something it is quite hard to imagine anybody who has studied, say, physics or chemistry saying.

2. It becomes apparent the Believer seems surprised that the lucidity of their comments has not convinced readers into accepting that their sceptical views are erroneous.

3. The CAGW Believer becomes noticably more and more more prolific.

4. The CAGW Believer starts to show signs of frustration, dropping any pretence at discussing rationally, and turns to mocking people's names or other personal attributes.

5. Finally, the CAGW Believer disappears for one reason or another.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:44 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

"...to accept for example that there is an energy imbalance"

Chandra - I don't think you should count on every CAGW skeptic accepting that there is an energy imbalance, although belief in such an imbalance seems very widespread in 'climate science'. You might even ask yourself why you think such an imbalance exists.

Satellite measurements of incoming and outgoing energy are not precise enough to indicate an imbalance. It is well accepted (eg by Trenbarth et al) that the difference between measured incoming and outgoing is too large to be plausible.

The only reason for believing there is an imbalance is that this has been indicated by climate models. Such models are inherently incapable of being validated, for the same reason that direct measurements cannot be used. As somebody said - an unvalidated model is an illustration of someone's hypothesis; it is not evidence.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin, a nice summary of the process.

You missed out;

6) Another one turns up out of the blue and starts the whole charade over again.

One might almost think it was coordinated somewhere.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM | Unregistered CommenterNW

Martin, the common thread missing from your timeline is that in each case a highly inteligent 'troll' is confronted by crass ignorance and stupidty and in the face of numerous insults descends to the level of the baying crowd.

Well, maybe I'm projecting too boldly from a rather poor sample size (of 1), but I am comfident my hypothesis is robust.

On imbalances, it is of course dificult to guess what any of you really believe from day to day. I think it changes depending upon the hour and the argument. That is my conclusion from the ability of many here to express apparently conflicting views of the science. For what it is worth (and I admit that may not be much) I took as my starting point the unreliable word of little-g (Page 1. Jan 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo) that

> "Increased carbon dioxide will increase temperature. True"

a belief that he ascribes to "most people in the sceptical camp", to which nobody that I noticed objected.

> The only reason for believing there is an imbalance is
> that this has been indicated by climate models.

My understanding is that CO2's properties as a greenhouse gas are well understood and that increasing quantities of CO2 in the atmosphere are the source of the imbalance. That view seems to be universally agreed by text books and learned people outside your small community and indeed, unless I have misread, is shared by the author of Science of Doom, a website that I seem to remember you have complimented for its unbiased presentation of the science. If you disagree, maybe you should outline your reasons at SoD - I'm sure you will get a sympathetic audience if you express your misgivings in the same measured tone I have seen you use there.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra, think laterally,

If "Increased carbon dioxide will increase temperature" = true
If "An energy imbalance exists" = not true

Are those statements mutually incompatible using standard physics?

A yes or no will suffice.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

ssat, your question makes me think you don't really even understand the first of those statements, let alone "standard physics". Ask yourself why increased CO2 would increase temperature and you are half way there.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra, really, stop digging. You already admitted you don't understand this stuff but just blindly believe the "experts" whose work most closely supports your worldview, you don't have to keep proving it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterNW

You know what guys, this is masstra2014's thread, and we've all been complicit in letting a Buffoon ( with a capital "B"), derail it. Apart from distorting everything that's said to him, he ignores the corrections and questions and persists in a juvenile attempt to get people to lose their temper. It is a credit to you all that you've dealt with this annoying Cretin (with a capital "C") in measured tones attempting to reason with him, but to no avail. I'm not a psychologist (practising that is) but there seems to be an extremely flawed human being under this Chandra title. The sort whose curtains twitched in days gone by and who wrote anonymous letters to the council accusing their neighbours of miscellaneous crimes and misdemeanours. So let's leave him to masking his self-doubts with shows of spite and contumely (add that to your vocabulary along with "cogent") and give the thread back to masstra2014.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:09 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

NW, I differ from many of you in that I don't try to pretend to know more than I do. If I have been mistaken in what I have written, please correct me, I'd be glad to learn. But I don't appreciate people who know no more than me (and I think there are a lot of them here) waving the laws of thermodynamics like a dirty handkerchief or lecturing me about "standard physics".

More pure ad-hom, this time from the little-g man. He and journo-Jackson make a good pair. I can picture then both sitting in their comfy chairs in their cardigans with their tea and Chocolate Hob Nobs, wiping the spit of their laptop screens. Get back to reading about dogs and their starsigns, boys.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra, you appeared in this thread to challenge my understanding of the "issues" as I understand them. I have remained relatively quiet as I am very fond of the phrase, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight." I'm not in any position to tell you that you're right or wrong regarding your claims. Not my job. However, from a simple position of decorum, you've only served to underscore my original purpose for coming here to ask for feedback. I grew so tired of the badgering, browbeating and accusations I witnessed from the AGW camp. Here's my question: if you are so adamant that you are correct, and if that feeling brings you contentment, then why bother coming here, apart from being a malcontent? I don't think your current approach is a particularly successful one, so on those grounds alone I've tuned you out. A pity, as I was willing to give you a fair shake. But, as we say in the States, "I'm over it."

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM | Unregistered Commentermaestra2014

masstra2014 welcome back. As I explained before we may be wrong on this site, so do look elsewhere. However keep this in mind, the arguments about energy imbalances, arctic sea ice, OHC, the temperature records, missing heat, extreme weather events and the myriad other side issues which deflect normal people from thinking about the issues are interesting, but not informative. The one thing you need to believe in this whole shambles is that there are people around who can foretell the future. Believe that and you're a warmist. Me? I think if they could really foretell the future they'd probably have spent their time winning money at the tables in Las Vegas rather than trying to frighten us all with scary scenarios. But, of course, I don't know for sure.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

maestra2014, have you caught little-g syndrome? You came here as Maestra2014 but I think you are not who you once were. My guess is that you are now little-g himself, whoever you were before.

You (little-m) asked me for some "cogent" (a word favoured by little-g, who fancies himself as a wordsmith) refutations and I gave you some. little-g thanked me for my reply, which seemed odd, if you had asked the question. And now you berate me, rather than being critical of the many who attack me rather than what I said.

If you really do think what I said was incorrect, I'd like to hear why. Go on, don't be shy, explain your reasoning. If on the other hand you have no idea which of us is right, you will fit right in here - you can start right now slagging off climate models (always an easy target) accusing the whole scientific world of fraud or fabrication or whatever and of course don't forget to gen up on items of sports equipment. I suggest you work on your ability to believe several contradictory "facts" at the same time, remember never to contradict a fellow know-nothing when they say something obviously ignorant and take out a subscription to the dog astrology journal - essential reading for those at Bishop Hill. Go for it!

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

My understanding is that CO2's properties as a greenhouse gas are well understood and that increasing quantities of CO2 in the atmosphere are the source of the imbalance. That view seems to be universally agreed by text books and learned people outside your small community and indeed, unless I have misread, is shared by the author of Science of Doom, a website that I seem to remember you have complimented for its unbiased presentation of the science. If you disagree, maybe you should outline your reasons at SoD - I'm sure you will get a sympathetic audience if you express your misgivings in the same measured tone I have seen you use there.
Feb 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Chandra

Chandra, I acknowledge that nothing I say is likely to change your outlook. I can see that you believe you have made some convincing points but, seen from here, they are far less convincing than perhaps you think.

"that CO2's properties as a greenhouse gas are well understood"

1. The properties of CO2 in absorbing and radiating IR over certain wavelengths has been precisely measured and is not open to dispute.

2. There is no doubt that a planet with an atmosphere of pure CO2 would be warmer than the same planet with an atmosphere of a gas that did not interact with IR.

3. From there on things are not "well understood" in the way that expression is normally used in science. The 'radiation imbalance' does not come from measurement or observation of any actual imbalance. It comes from calculations based on notions including "radiative forcing" which can exist only in computer models and which is inherently incapable of being validated by observation or by experiment. (SOD is not very complimentary about 'radiative forcing', though mainly because of its approximations.)

It's very, very hard for me to express how utterly ludicrous or irresponsible the idea of relying on unverified models would be regarded in any of the fields I have worked in. The fact that it's widely done in climate science means that the subject just cannot be taken seriously. It's got the word 'science' in its title but, whatever it is, it is simply not science. If 'learned people' believe things about a physical system for which there is no physical evidence - and nothing that comes out of a model is evidence - then their learning has to be regarded as a form of theology. It's faith, not science.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin, SoD's 7'th part of its series on CO2 says this in conclusion:

We can have a lot of confidence that the calculations of the radiative forcing of CO2 are correct. The subject is well-understood and many physicists have studied the subject over many decades. (The often cited "skeptics" such as Lindzen, Spencer, Christy all believe these numbers as well). Calculation of the "radiative forcing" of CO2 does not have to rely on general circulation models (GCMs), instead it uses well-understood "radiative transfer equations" in a "simple" 1-dimensional numerical analysis.

There's no doubt that CO2 has a significant effect on the earth's climate - 1.7W/m2 at top of atmosphere, compared with pre-industrial levels of CO2.

If I understand you correctly, because these 1-d models are 'unvalidated', we can ignore the decades of study that has led to the current understanding of CO2.

> I acknowledge that nothing I say is likely to change your outlook

No you are wrong. I promise to admit defeat and proclaim myself skeptical of what I have believed to be true if you can convince SoD that the following statements from part 7 and 8 of the CO2 series can be fairly regarded, in your words, "as a form of theology", and as "faith, not science":

"There's no doubt that CO2 has a significant effect on the earth's climate - 1.7W/m2 at top of atmosphere, compared with pre-industrial levels of CO2." is untrue,"

"Doubling CO2 from pre-industrial levels will lead to an increased "radiative forcing" of around 3.7 W/m2, and this part of climate science at least, is well understood."

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Oops, delete the is untrue," from the 2nd to last paragraph.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Martin A: You're wasting your time, he thinks he's brilliant and we're dickheads, so whatever you say he ignores, because he's got SoD on his side and that's telling him that CO2 increase will cause an increase in radiative forcing therefore the temperature must go up. Moreover he believes he's found an inside track that we're unaware of that CO2, all other things being equal, will cause the atmosphere to warm.. Eventually, you have to hope that he'll turn the page on his "Janet and John Do Climate Science" text book and discover the difficulties, not to say impossibilities, of predicting the behaviour of a coupled non-linear chaotic system. Well according to the scientists that is. TAR WG1 14.2.2.2. for what the scientists think.

I wonder what SoD has to say about the pause, a rise by 5% of CO2 with no concomitant atmospheric warming?

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Chandra, at the moment there is a trickle of people looking for detail on climate change. They come looking for more than the two dimensional, dumbed down, lowest common denominator, trust me I’m a scientist version of the situation. They want, no need, as much relevant information as possible. They don’t want just half the story. Yes, sceptics mostly highlight the doubts but then they don’t need to go through the main stream stuff, that’s everywhere. Your side needs a more grown up version of the science than Al’s crappy movie, so use some of the huge sums thrown at CAGW and produce a decent attempt at explaining things. It needs to be accurate and up to date. It should be honest about the issues because it doesn’t take much effort to find them on the internet. If you skate over the problems with the science, people will see that as a weakness or even deliberate lying. Your side needs to get its act together fast because the trickle will become a flood and at the moment your side has nothing to point people to that isn’t vastly over simplified or incredibly complex and stuck behind a pay wall.

You also need to address your attitude. You made a very good demonstration of the consensus treatment of those asking questions. You were, and continue to be, rude and arrogant. You have not offered better explanations or links than those presented here. Yes, I know that you’re just one person (probably) but if you only have limited time then tackle one issue and do it well. If you don’t understand the science well enough to defend it properly then that just proves my point about the public version of the science being too simplified. You forget that your side is asking an immense amount. The idea that people will drop all the benefits of fossil fuels on the say so of a few scientists and their computers is ludicrous. You guys need humility for what you’re asking and an eagerness to help people understand. You are a typical consensus messenger and if CAGW is real, that’s sad, because you’re your own worst enemy.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

I differ from many of you in that I don't try to pretend to know more than I do.

No, you insist that we don't know more than you do.
It is evident that this is incorrect.

Basic physical properties are fundamental to the climate system, as they are to everything. They are not however sufficient on their own to explain or predict it, which is why the models fail. Scientists as a body do not have a complete understanding of complex physical processes. You need a certain amount of knowledge of and in the field to understand how limited that understanding actually is.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterNW

Excellent words, NW. That gets to the core of the issue.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM | Unregistered Commentermichaelhart

Chandra
I suggest you read part 8 of SoD's series on CO2 and the comments thereunder.
I note also that you have omitted what comes after

There’s no doubt that CO2 has a significant effect on the earth’s climate – 1.7W/m2 at top of atmosphere, compared with pre-industrial levels of CO2.
namely
What conclusion can we draw about the cause of the 20th century rise in temperature from this series? None so far! How much will temperature rise in the future if CO2 keeps increasing? We can’t yet say from this series.

I'm not even sure about the original quotation since SoD also maintains that the earth is a near-black body and my limited understanding is that a planetary surface which is ~70% water would not behave as a black body.
You are certainly right that the properties of CO2 are well-known but are we as sure about how CO2 behaves in its inter-actions in a real-world situation? Martin A's para 3 above is correct I believe.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson