Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Hall of Fame, Bishop Hill (comments)

Good. The pootled around in the academic undergrowth has to be in here,

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:48 AM | Registered Commentershub

"As we say in the real world 'shit happens'." (Latimer Alder)

This is a ridiculous statement - shit doesn't 'just happen.'
There is invariably an a$$hole in the immediate vicinity.(Reply from Political Junkie)

Heartening start to a dreich morning!

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

This really made me laugh:

"What you are, Diogenes, is a cynic."

Bradley Keyes, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM | Registered CommenterJeremy Harvey

What do George Bush & Dogmatic Warmists have in common ?
..incredibly simplistic BLACK & WHITE view of the world
"You're either with us, or against us"

Whereas skeptics reveal theirs is FULL COLOUR world
as discussed on this thread

I'm a sceptic. I am willing to accept that all the warming could be natural. Not that it is, just that it could be.
In my opinion, we can't possibly tell as we have no idea of the magnitude of the natural warming and cooling changes.
Jan 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM | MCourtney

There are only two camps in the Believers' Manichean world,
you are either wiv us or against us.
Nuances (which characterise real science or debate on other issues) are not allowed.
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:15 AM | johanna

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:00 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I liked this one:

Look you deniers stop moaning : There have already two separate enquiries into this and everyone was cleared
- In the first one the Guardian investigated Greenpeace
- In the other - Greenpeace investigated the Guardian.
.. every last mann was found innocent
..... And awarded a Nobel Prize

-stewgreen

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM | Registered Commentershub

Found again from following a Bradley Keyes link and well worth re-reading:

The Climategate Emails edited and annotated by John Costella

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Correction : "And awarded themselves Nobel Prizes"

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:44 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A twofer

Susan Crockford (2:31 PM) -
"[A]ll I want is to see the polar bear science without the global warming spin."
Unfortunately, the grass is always greener when fertilized by global warming.
Feb 27, 2015 at 6:07 PM | Registered CommenterHaroldW

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Not actually a BH quote (it's from the Hockeyshtick blog, but at least I found the link on BH)

KenAugust 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

They are not fit to call themselves scientists if they were not already constantly questioning their models.

Modelling a hypothesis, is no way to test that hypothesis. All you get is a simulation of the hypothesis, not a test of it.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:03 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I post this with deep concern that I may offend the splendid michael hart:

Indeed, Martin. A lot of people have read E. F. Schumacher's "Small is Beautiful", but a lot more people have misunderstood it.

Michael hart

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:54 PM | Registered CommenterDung

No offence taken, Dung. I'm practising to be Kim.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Not witty but an astute observation
that Green Screen has a new meaning
"Green Screen is a term used for imposing a Green point of view, that filters out, everything else. " Mar 28, 2015 Golf Charlie
..as used in BBC Eco-warrior programmes

(whereas the old meaning is "Green Screen was a term used for the imposition of a background image in TV.")

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:01 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Yes, very good. Green screen - filters out selected parts of reality and replaces it with a contrived version.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Practicing to be kim, haha!

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:18 AM | Registered Commentershub

Exxon statement:

“ExxonMobil will not respond to Guardian inquiries because of its lack of objectivity on climate change reporting demonstrated by its campaign against companies that provide energy necessary for modern life, including newspapers.”

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/27/rockefeller-family-tried-and-failed-exxonmobil-accept-climate-change

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods

Green is the new bleak.
Apr 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterAthelstan.
Many a true word ...

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Put bluntly, climatologists created fear and alarm using the output of flawed models that had not been validated and which have long since proved to be of zero predictive value.

The normal scientific approach was trashed along the way. The warming was not unprecedented, the hot spot does not exist, they do not understand and did not consider the huge drivers of our climate, eg AMO, PDO. They have no explanation for the pause. Their models did not foresee that either.

They are still guilty of not clarifying to policy makers that they greatly exaggerated the problem. If they think otherwise, then let them explain why, with good, convincing evidence.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM | Schrodinger's Cat

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

"This is a limited offer to save the world." spoken by ubiquitous climate change movement marketing persons.

The exaggerated climate change movement is like every other exaggerated public movement, it has a public credibility half-life inversely proportional to the square of the magnitude of the exaggeration.

So, time is drastically of the essence for such an extremely exaggerated movement like catastrophic climate change.

tic toc

John

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM | Unregistered CommenterJohn Whitman

From: http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2015/4/24/lomborg-and-the-africans.html, Mike Jackson fired up in response to some jejune attacks on Lomborg:

OBA
Diddums.

The reason Lomborg is unpopular, as I explained to Golf Charlie elsewhere yesterday, is that The Skeptical Environmentalist punched a big hole in the enviro-activists' pessimism.

I had been dealing with these woemeisters for the best part of 30 years before Ms Rowling told me what they really were — dementors. They suck all happiness and hope out of being a human being. Everything they touch shrivels up and dies. They see nothing in the future but despair. Limits To Growth is one long complaint that humanity is doomed unless it adopts the path of despair and pessimism. Every human achievement, every scientific or technological advance, everything that makes modern life worth living (as well as one or two that don't) are merely steps on an ever-steeper slippery slope that will lead to the destruction of the planet.

The only possible route to salvation is to forego all the pleasures of the modern world and hand your lives (oh, and your money of course) over to them to run for you because they are in their own eyes the Elect and we peasants are as nothing without their malevolent paternalism.

They make the Wee Frees look like unrepentant hedonists.

And then along comes Lomborg, who claims that the world is not yet quite going to hell in the environmentalists' handcart, that peak this, that and the next thing are largely a figment of the overheated imagination of the Malthusian tendency whose ability to look beyond their own limited view of the world has always been non-existent and that while "Global warming is real – it is man-made and it is an important problem", it is not, at least on the evidence available at the time and even less so now, "the end of the world." And that really hurts the Climateers, doesn't it? Especially in the pocket and in the ego (I/m never sure which of those two is the bigger.) 

Let me, for your delectation, repeat the bones of a post I made on 'Unthreaded' the other day.

The question: "What is the biggest threat facing the world today?" was posed to war studies experts and they came up with the following:
• Russian and Chinese expansionism v Western disarmament
• Russia's revisionism
• China’s rise and power shifting in the Indo-Pacific
• Unfinished business in the Taiwan Strait
• Unbridled nuclear proliferation
• Political transition in the Middle East
• The rise of nationalism and other politics of identity
• Russian infiltration in Western politics
• Corruption 

Perhaps on the purely environmental front you could throw in a possible asteroid strike and the Yellowstone volcano.
Any or all of which could have a major impact on human civilisation within a very short period. Unlike climate change which may (but probably won't) have a minor impact which may (but probably won't) be detrimental to humanity unless we are stupid or arrogant enough to pretend there is something we can do to prevent it.

Lomborg has never claimed to be perfect and no doubt his work contains errors but in the field of statistics, where I suggest his expertise outshines considerably that of his critics, those "errors" are largely a matter of different interpretations of the same data and to be discussed and debated rationally.

But then the enviro-fanatics have never, ever, in all the years I have been dealing with them done discussion or debate, and certainly not rationality.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM | Mike Jackson

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

"Couldn't Climate Change go to the Ministry of Funny Talks? At least everybody would know not to take climate science too seriously."

May 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM | Unregistered Commenter golf charlie

This in response to the rumour that Energy and Climate Change may go to separate ministries under the Tories.

Another pearler from this major contributor to BH happiness which really cheered up this very depressed UKIP supporter.

May 8, 2015 at 2:55 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Where Lewandowsky is concerned I keep being reminded of Ralph Waldo Emerson's line: "The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons".

May 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

May 16, 2015 at 2:17 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

You don't really think anyone thinks any of you lot are skeptics, do you?

May 27, 2015 at 3:00 PM | Unregistered Commenter Raff

You don't really think any of "us lot" give a $hit, do you?
May 27, 2015 at 5:43 PM | Unregistered Commenter Big Oil

Lovely ^.^

May 27, 2015 at 6:46 PM | Registered CommenterDung

This one is pure genius ^.^

The APS has its election at end of this month. Remember, committees are like diapers and need changing for the same reason.
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:22 PM | Unregistered Commenter ssat

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM | Harry Dale Huffman
"But I Am a Defier Now, ...so I don't trust any media excuses anymore." (his essay)

-------------------------------------
I like that deFier not deNier... It's a good reposte.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

a runner up o the same thread is : Jun 15, 2015 at 5:47 PM | John Catley

"She's too dangerous to Manfred Mann's Earth Band."

-------------------------------------
indeed Manfraud Mann's Earth Band. ...someone might allege

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen