Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Hall of Fame, Bishop Hill (comments)

"Charities have come a long way from the days when they administered alms to the 'decayed and destitute' of the parish.

Now they create them."

Pharos

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2013/8/28/hes-off.html#comments

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM | Registered CommenterGreen Sand

This one took me a while to locate but it was worth it:

"The best way to utilise hydrogen in a vehicle might be to produce a compound of H2 with carbon which will be liquid at normal temperatures and will pack a large amount of energy into a small volume as hydrogen alone does not. It would also be transportable in usable form by tanker or pipeline requiring no expensive transitions between production and use, as hydrogen alone does not. I claim a car could go four to six hundred miles on a tankful, while that tank would bulk out at only a few gallons rather than the uncompromisable bulk of hydrogen which corrupts the entire design of the vehicle. If we were really lucky we might find that such a liquid was freely available in geological deposits, requiring only processing.

Just a crazy pipedream.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM | rhoda"

http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2012/10/18/driving-into-the-future.html#comment19129058

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM | Unregistered CommentersHx

Thanks sHx. To be honest I couldn't remember writing that. Good isn't it?

I find that when you look at your own past stuff and it can be read without embarrassment, it's a sign that it was good.

Or that you are a hopeless bigot with unalterable opinions.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

rhoda,

that was an inspired piece of satire. In fact, it was so great I no longer hold the irrational 'bigoted' view that hydrogen could be a serious fuel alternative to what we have now. I wish it was longer and more detailed. It would have made a good BH guest post.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM | Unregistered CommentersHx

Priceless from Mr Hart :)

I know the Uck; runs through Uckfield. The picture was taken from the bridge over the river. It has a tendency to flood occasionally due to....ahem.....heavy rainfall not climate BS
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM | Unregistered Commenter52

Stern and the Uck in flood.

There's some words to conjure with :)
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I hope I will be forgiven for entering a very golden oldie:

Again, I stress that all these points are independent of whether either person is using a pseudonym or not. They are some of the basics of how a blog avoids falling into anarchy and meaningless.
Nov 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM | Unregistered CommenterRichard Drake

and:

In that case, Richard, WTF are they doing on a discussion thread entitled "Real Names or Pseudonyms"?
Nov 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Tony Abbott, who said “Climate change is absolute crap” has become Australia’s 28th prime minister after a decisive victory. Not exactly a BH quote - but worthy of preservation anyway.

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM | Registered Commentermatthu

An honourable mention to commentor Manniac at WUWT:

“Nobody expects the East Anglian Inquisition!
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the IPCC.”

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

Mike Jackson commenting today on the The protestors at Balcombe.

"if you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow".

Works for me ^.^

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Dung
I claim no credit for that.
It may have been Teddy Roosevelt or possibly one of his aide-de-camps, a certain Lieutenant (as he then was) Douglas Macarthur. Charles Colson was reported to have it on a poster above his desk.
And that reminds me of a poster a District Manager of mine had on the wall facing him and worth filing away:
"When you are up to your arse in alligators, it is not the best time to remember that the initial objective was to clean out the swamp!"

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Mike you posted it on the blog and it made me laugh like hell ^.^ The credit is yours mate.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM | Registered CommenterDung

OK, this is terribly dated so some might consider it sexist ... but I still like it:

"Women who aspire to be men's equals are underachievers!"

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

Nigel Farage can join David Rose on the list of those who cant tell the difference between "short term variation" and "long term trend".

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:20 AM | Unregistered Commenter entropic man

And still can't tell exactly what conditions would kill the Theory of AGW

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM | Registered CommenterBreath of Fresh Air

Not a comment on here but one from our own Latimer Alder on the WUWT thread 'The state of climate science: fluxed up' (which would itself be worthy of a mention):

Pigeons…let me introduce Cat!
He will be among you for some time……….

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Pigeons…let me introduce Cat!
He will be among you for some time………

Latimer is a classy humour monger

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Love this one (although 'bedrock' which is 'feeding' seems like a broken metaphor, but still.....):

Every time you dig into the thin layer of Green compost which covers our socio-political landscape you hit the bedrock of the dense skulls of the brain-dead, feeding off the real economy in some parody of ecological niche activity, like those beetles which perform some obscure useful service tucked away in a rhinoceros’s bottom.

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM | geoffchambers

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

Skiphil beat me to it.

Here is another memorable quote from my brilliant comrade. On Richard Muller's BEST project:

It’s like watching a team of phrenologists bashing their heads against a brick wall, trying to come up with ever more interesting bumps.
Oct 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM | geoffchambers

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM | Unregistered CommentersHx

There's serious competition today.

Rhoda:

"....My null hypothesis is that it's straight from the gelder's bin"

Ouch.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

I think this ably sums it up

"Ross McKitrick says:

September 27, 2013 at 5:32 am

SPM in a nutshell: Since we started in 1990 we were right about the Arctic, wrong about the Antarctic, wrong about the tropical troposphere, wrong about the surface, wrong about hurricanes, wrong about the Himalayas, wrong about sensitivity, clueless on clouds and useless on regional trends. And on that basis we’re 95% confident we’re right. "

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM | Marion

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

From Otter on the 'Lovers of the Environment' thread:

They have left the circus, in search of bread.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

The following comment "critical" of Dr Curry's comments on her "Stadium Wave" paper:-

Mike Jonas

Judith, you say “This paper will change the way you think about natural internal variability.”. Sorry, but that’s quite wrong. For many years, Blind Freddie and I have been able to see that there’s a cyclical effect that the IPCC has ignored."

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM | Registered CommenterGreen Sand

Perfect summation of climate policy:

“We’re spending money that we don’t have

- on solutions that don't work -

to solve a problem that doesn’t exist

at the behest of people we didn’t elect"

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM | stewgreen

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

Yes, stewgreen is a bit of a wordmaster hitting the right combinations in his unique ways. Quite quotable, that; I agree.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM | Unregistered CommentersHx

Not having a shot a stewgreen in any way here, but he didn't say it. It was a Tory MP called Carswell:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10469434/Britains-bill-for-climate-aid-rises-to-4.5-billion.html

“Douglas Carswell, Tory MP for Clacton, said the decision was unjustifiable. He said: “We’re spending money that we don’t have to solve a problem that doesn’t exist at the behest of people we didn’t elect."

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM | Registered Commenterjohanna

Sigh! Ought to have paid attention to the quote marks.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM | Unregistered CommentersHx