I was having a little Twitter tiff with Leo Hickman over the Guardian's attacks on the editor of the Spectator for publishing an article by Nils Axel Morner - an expert on sea level rises who has been fiercely critical of the IPCC's predictions. As I explained to Leo, I have no particular horse in this race - I know little about the science of sea levels - but I do have libertarian concerns over attempts to silence dissenting voices by attacking anyone who publishes them or other by other underhand methods.
I listed a few examples for Leo's benefit:
- Attempts to have Pat Michaels' PhD rescinded.
- The smear campaign against Irene Meichsner
- Attempts to stop Sonia Boehmer-Christiansen using her university affiilation
- The campaigns against journal editors
To which Jonathan Jones added
- the idea of complaining to his head of department because he made an FOI request.
Can readers here think of other examples of attempts to silence dissent?