Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Packham's COP26 wacky end rant

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

His key phrases
*little weasley words*
*I feel*
I feel very angry I feel *very scared*
the result is *calamitous*
*smuggled in* *more fossil fuel lobbyists than indigenous representatives*
(An activist conspiracy theory, they claim 500 people ruled over the 40,000)
*tantamount to evil*
Chatham House report .. truthful and *terrifying*
*that business is killing all of us and everything that lives on this planet*
climate trials .. these people will be *culpable of genocide*
*billions of people will die* ... *there's no ambiguity about that*
*our leaders .. failed us*
some of them at least have *manifest evil*
*the platform of COP will carry a long legacy of positivity*
the youth *the most important part of our population*
have spoken out, democratically (Greta protests are not democracy)
*they have been ignored*
*We will have to find new methods* (does he mean violence ?)
*They haven't dealt with that inequality* (that's not a purpose of COP)
*spitting in our faces*
*In the EU they've invested millions more in fossil fuel exploration*
*they just don't care*
*it's going to kill us all*
*I know it sounds over dramatic but frankly you've got to believe me it isn't*

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:01 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Transcript

So here we are at the end of COP26 I'm in Edinburgh in my hotel room
where I've been commuting from every day down to Glasgow
Um in Glasgow then nitpicking over what we mustn't call semantics in literal terms
Because every one of those *little weasley words* that is inserted or removed will make a difference we'll provide an excuse for people to not adhere to any of the so-called promises that are being made.

I'm not going back today my pass has run out I'm on to do something else in Scotland tomorrow
But I thought I'd tell you not so much what I think but the way that *I feel* at the moment about what's happened in the last couple of weeks
What's happening now um I feel very angry I feel *very scared* I feel completely betrayed
The UK government built a fantastic platform for people to come to to assemble on and within to achieve something notable and important

The setup of the COP the facilities the infrastructure the delegates were all potentially fantastic
Um outside the fringe events that were orchestrated by so many people were brilliant in many instances
But the result is *calamitous*
Because the elected governments that came have failed to deliver at this critical point in our and our planet's history
And we all know that there's a lot of people scrambling around to make something good out of this
I'm not going to scramble that hard
We needed firm commitments to stop the exploration for more and the cessation of the use of our fossil fuels
And we didn't get it China the United States
The UK didn't set firm targets to stop using fossil fuels
Denmark and Costa Rica tried and invited others to join them, but they didn't
Why didn't they ?
Well because unbelievably in that blue zone there were *more fossil fuel lobbyists than indigenous representatives*
They've been *smuggled in* amongst the delegations of those nations with a vested interest in the perpetuation of the use of fossil fuels
(An activist conspiracy theory, It's their own number they claim 500 people ruled over the 40,000, Secondly saying " indigenous representatives" is a weird cherrypick)
I mean I struggle with the word because I'm not entirely sure how we should use it but to me that is *tantamount to evil*
They know what they're doing
We've all read the IPCC report (have you ? Or have you just read the twisted political Summary for Policymakers ?)

The Chatham House report the summary of which I urge you to read because it is simply truthful and *terrifying*
These people just want business as usual even though *that business is killing all of us and everything that lives on this planet* with increased rapidity

I wonder if at some point in the future our children or grandchildren won't hold trials the climate trials
Because some of these people will be *culpable of genocide* of ecocide if we continue doing what we're doing

Because the targets set here are not binding and meaningful then *billions of people will die*
It will be an ecological climate and societal collapse
That's the degree of importance that we're talking about
And they know that *there's no ambiguity about that*
They know it that's why I feel betrayed because at this exceptional point in our and our planet's history our leaders were not exceptional they have *failed us*

They've just had short-term goals to keep business as usual
And some of them at least have *manifest evil*
On the other hand in the last two weeks I've met some astonishing outstanding brave inspirational capable ambitious and determined people
So I think that *the platform of COP will carry a long legacy of positivity*
But we must consolidate that positivity now because now is the time
And I think that we can't trust them so we've got to do it ourselves that's me and you as citizens of Planet Earth and we've got to find new methods because we've held our demonstrations fridays for future the youth

the youth *the most important part of our population* have spoken out, democratically and peacefully, but they have been ignored
... (Greta protests are not democracy)
*We will have to find new methods* (violence ?) to ensure that our elected representatives change their minds and practices

I just hope that the collective energy that I've spoken about that there was certainly been here both within the COP and outside with all those fringe events I hope that that collective energy is enough to ignite that spark and and and make it happen now
Otherwise they (he means his opposition) will succeed they will have kicked this into this short grass for another year
They haven't stumped up the money to help the developing nations pay to clear up our mess
*They haven't dealt with that inequality* (that's not a purpose of COP)
They've turfed out things like natural capital
They've put in weasley words to provide excuses for people to do whatever they want if they choose to
So they're non-binding targets
And there's been precious little conversation about things like agriculture factory farming, overfishing the oceania, neck ecosystems
And whilst it's been happening symbolically they've been *spitting in our faces*
Grouse moors have been burning here in Scotland
Peat going up in smoke, carbon going up in smoke
Sewage has been pouring into our rivers and coastal waters
HS2 is carving a scar through our ancient woodlands
*In the EU they've invested millions more in fossil fuel exploration* (why shouldn't they ? If you have CCS then it's zero CO2, anyways wind/solar don't function without oil/gas)
And we've discounted internal flights here in the UK
And all of that has happened in the last couple of weeks, that we're immediately preceding it

*they just don't care* they're not accountable
They're pressing on with their own mean motives
And* it's going to kill us all*
*I know it sounds over dramatic but frankly you've got to believe me it isn't*
So it's down to you and I every one of us we've got to stand up at this point
And we've got to find a means of turning this problem around
So let's go to it

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:03 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

and here's my invoice including expenses

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:44 PM | Unregistered Commenter.