Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Net Zero

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:58 PM | Registered Commentertomo

The cynic in me suggests that finding recruits for zero-energy jobs should be easy, given how many couch potatoes we have!
I scan-read the document. My overall impression was that it focuses, almost obsesses, over recruiting youngsters while saying little about existing workers. There is the obvious talent pool of the oil and gas industries and their supply chains: how many might move across?; what are the demographics? They are certainly going to need a lot of experienced folk.
Then there is the existing workforce in all the power stations and their supplier infrastructures which are closing down over the next 10 years or so.
Those 4 milestones for this decade are extremely ambitious, to put it mildly. We are over one year into that timescale and, without checking, I very much doubt they are anywhere near to target,
It also seemed a bit surreal: so much sincerity and commitment to something which to these jaded eyes, looks both unachievable and futile.

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:51 PM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

as I read it and figured it to have been whipped up by a consultancy ... I wondered how many tasks have actually been identified in detail as actually being needed and what efforts are in place to partition / delegate tasking and get individual bums on seats... >>> net zero?

It's broad brush stuff (effin fire hose gushing woffle morelike)

That said, I also wondered if National Grid could be coaxed out of the high flown, aspirational management blather to make some commitments - or even swerve commitments - that might provide some entertainment.

Trouble is, National Grid would only likely respond to entities that are ostensibly "official" (MPs and prominent community persons) or like minded corporate / government outfits. Shame my 2 local MPs are a waste of space...

- Although an open letter from say GWPF might elicit a response....

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:25 PM | Registered Commentertomo