Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > "Rewable Electric Heating"

Falkirk council (SNP Controlled) must have believed the BS from Thermaflow and locals are paying the price.

With a 100% efficiency rating, it is designed to operate with peak avoidance tariffs to provide customers with major savings on running costs and energy use, meeting all your heating & hot water needs!

Initially the customers were on a 7p/14p tarrif but the power retailer swapped that to 16p/18p see here

The "Central Services" scene from Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil springs directly to mind

"Hi, there. I want to talk to you about ducts. Do your ducts seem old fashioned, out of date? Central Services' new duct designs are now available in hundreds of different colors to suit your individual tastes."

Sounds like Falkirk residents need Archibald Tuttle

sorry about the title spelling - it's unintentionally half way between Renewable and Ruinable I suppose.....

With that many tenants the council could easily have cut out the retailer and resold the electrons themselves, making a profit and saving their tenants some lolly (though not as much as going gas...)

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:07 AM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, with such glowing recommendations, someone must have experienced a benefit:

Chief Officer Falkirk Council
“Referring to over 400 boilers installed in its premises the Council’s Buildings Operations Co-ordinator said that the electric combi boilers were really good with regards to efficiency and costs. His comments were based on feedback from tenants. He added that the systems had proved so successful that several tenants who initially refused to change over, later had the systems fitted having been persuaded by tenants who already had the systems up and running.”

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:02 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

gc

the council's tenant base is twice the size of a group buy scheme I looked at several years ago in a village near Newbury iirc. There was a guy on the village who was au fair with the regs and procedures to set up an electricity retailing operation - the members of the group were getting 15%-ish discount and a healthy margin for contingencies / admin.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:15 PM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, Falkirk has the evidence of excellent engineering, efficient use of power and political cooperation within Scotland, London, The Queen and the EU. I don't know about a light bulb, but you can't trust them to change a central heating boiler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel
"The Falkirk Wheel is a rotating boat lift in central Scotland, connecting the Forth and Clyde Canal with the Union Canal. The lift is named after Falkirk, the town in which it is located. It reconnects the two canals for the first time since the 1930s. It opened in 2002 as part of the Millennium Link project.

The plan to regenerate central Scotland's canals and reconnect Glasgow with Edinburgh was led by British Waterways with support and funding from seven local authorities, the Scottish Enterprise Network, the European Regional Development Fund, and the Millennium Commission. Planners decided early on to create a dramatic 21st-century landmark structure to reconnect the canals, instead of simply recreating the historic lock flight."

Falkirk was seen as a key battleground for Labour (Islington Momentum) to fight the SNP with Karie Murphy catapulted into the arena from a very long distance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Labour_Party_Falkirk_candidate_selection

It is possible that more stories reflecting Labour/SNP conflict (as they both blame each other for failing to achieve their objectives) will emerge.

Someone timed the breaking of the Mackay Grooming texts for maximum impact.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:06 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie