Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > It was 20 years ago today ....

Mark,

No idea.

So what?

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

So what?

There has to be an explanation for it. No normal person gets so upset about an alleged libel that they issue libel proceedings, then don't pursue them.

The normal reason for issuing libel proceedings is to obtain vindication, clear your name from the smear of the libel, and perhaps as a secondary issue, obtain some damages. That is not achieved by issuing proceedings then failing (over 8 years) to get anywhere near to a trial.

So, there has to be another reason. Mark Steyn (another victim of Mann's litigation) claims the process is the punishment - having litigation AGAINST you dragging on for years is wearing, and tedious and expensive. I've read somewhere (sorry, can't find the reference now) that Mann's costs are paid by the Climate Defence Fund (if so, a strange use of a defence fund, unless one takes the view that attack is the best form of defence), and if that is true, then Mann won't be bothered about costs, but his defendants will; and Mann won't be bothered about the delays either, since he's not the one worrying about possibly one day having to pay large damages out, while legal costs mount.

These proceedings don't have to go anywhere to punish those who dare to criticise him in public. It looks like a cruel and very public form of deterrent against anyone who might dare to criticise him - attempted censorship, one might even wonder.

Think a little more deeply, Phil.

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Think a little less deeply, Mark.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Thought long enough to answer my question Phil, or are you being a Mann-ikin?

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM | Unregistered CommenterAK

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:26 PM | Phil Clarke

Are you on a Bonus Payment for doing an impression of Mann's arrogance and contempt?

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:55 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

AK - As i indicated at 2:05, I am not sure about the premises of your question: but if you can provide a couple of examples of the opinions you have ascribed to me, I'd be happy to discuss.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Phil, from you that's a glib and disappointing reply. Still, I suppose assiduously supplying links and cutting & pasting extracts is easier than thinking.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark Hodgson 7:14pm

Mann is deploying similar/same tactics with Mark Steyn - who is a much more challenging litigant than an 80 year old academic. looks like Phil doesn't want to think about that either.

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:00 PM | Unregistered Commenterfred

" ... looks like Phil doesn't want to think about that either."
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:00 PM | fred

Being a Hockey Teamster means others always pay the bills, costs and consequences of Civil Court proceedings.

Trump needs to make sure that US Taxpayers do not have to pay the bills, costs and consequences of 97% of Climate Scientists.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:56 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Tim Ball was not intimidated by Hockey Teamsters in January 2019

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/24/a-history-of-dr-ben-santer-and-his-ipcc-trick/

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:10 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Full judgement for reference

https://www.steynonline.com/documents/9740.pdf

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM | Unregistered CommenterMuppets are us

Check out WattsUp. The Piltdown Mann is losing it.
=================

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:57 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim