Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Yorkshire Post's war on fracking

Fri : long anti-fracking letter from Sue Lister
mentions a fear movie called : 'Living With Fracking'

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:18 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Saturday : no fracking letters , almost all were Brexit or Remain

Backpage large advertorial for Drax : US ambassador visits and coming CCS projject could be carbon neutral.
... believe when see it !

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Spin is in the YP headline
'Fracking is biggest concern for residents says MP'

actual text says
\\ Yorkshire fracking: Labour and Tory MPs unite against government plans to shake up planning rules

Sheffield MP Jared O'Mara says he gets more emails about fracking than Brexit or tree-felling...//
his constituency is in middle of Sheffield where there will be no fracking.
but does have lots of students.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Wednesday
(fake ?) Doctor ..Peter Williams is back saying renewables are amazing
and that Hornsea windpower costs only 60% of Hinckley
#1 not true
#2 You can't compare apples of intermittent powers
vs the oranges if baseload power, that you get from nuclear.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:11 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

ah nothing for one week
Wednesday
Leeds is asking for £40m to set up road pricing , just like Sheffield is.
Why's the tax payer got to payin an extra £40m to a scheme that will generate money ?
£50/day for a truck, £50/week per taxi
The aim is to get the cities inside the arbitrary UN & UN air pollution limits.
Doh cleaner engines will CONTINUE to come in with the passage of time anyway ..so this action is pointless
.. Action on wood stoves, bonfires is justified.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:52 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Yorkshire Post : Lord Deben says UK'll reduce beef cattle and have water buffalo .. and we'll live in wooden huts.
... It seems every 2 or 3 weeks the YP will give over half a page to Deben's CCC latest press release.
This one pretends to be about 2 new CCC reports.

\\ Future changes could see “wet-farming” on restored peat soils, growing crops such as blueberries, reeds and sphagnum and rearing water buffalo//

Deben “What we’re saying is not that the answer is vegetarianism, that would be the wrong answer, it’s that people will eat better meat, eat less of it, get the balanced diet that the Government wants."

\\ A second report from the committee said use of “biomass” or plant material could help cut emissions, as long as it is done sustainably, with tighter rules on sourcing plants for energy, substantial increases in using wood in buildings//

Same cutNpasted words, different title
https://www.eadt.co.uk/business/farming/climate-change-committee-livestock-cut-call-1-5780408

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:57 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A few pages on the letters page has 2 letters having a sneer at Trump.

Then we have a column devoted to an eco warrior : Dr Aimee Ambrose
whose Twitter timeline is a stream of campaining
This Marie-Antoinette's premise is that the stupid poor used to have a connection with their energy spending cos they could see their pile of coal
... but now they have gas they just burn heat willy nilly.

#1 Claim of UK heat half is in domestic heating
... Hmm I don't know ; they'll be all the heating of gov, charities, biz ..as well as industry and kilns etc.

#2 Claim that energy is more "scarce and expensive than ever before"
... nope energy is abundant and lower than ever % of weekly spending.

#3 We don't know where our energy comes from
... doh who has Electric central heating. it almost all comes from gas, not windmills

#4 She claims that we can replace today's heat from gas with heat from renewables ..

#5 Claims "especially as renewable energy is set to be cheaper than fossil fuels by 2020."
She gives no evidence for this claim.
i.. That would mean the gov has been foolish to allow green subsidies to be in place at that date and for years after.
ii. Also a true pricing would say a taxpayer pays £X for a weeks worth of heating but also gets an income from the tax paid by the producer when they mined it.

#6 Says fracking only tookbplace cos the public are ill-informed.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:07 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Dr Aimee Ambrose eh?

yet another activist using their academic credentials to punt partonising and wonky opinions on a subject she self evidently know SFA about - but since she'd got a PhD she's an expert dont'cha know.

I'll wager she's never had a real job (beyond student casual work).

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Johnston Press, the owner of the i newspaper / Yorkshire Post / Scotsman, has put itself into administration and declared that there is "no longer any value" in its shares as it can't repay its debts.
9:46 PM · Nov 16, 2018 Jim Waterson @jimwaterson
Email to Johnston Press staff. Essentially if the administration deal is approved, a new company will be formed owning the same papers, having lopped off the crippling debts (and the pension fund).
"none of these offers, or combinations of offers, would have raised enough money to repay the £220m debt that we are obliged to settle in June 2019"
“The newspapers and websites will continue to be published as usual. As I have stressed on several occasions, our business is profitable with good margins. Our debt has constrained us.”
Staff pensions will fall.
Shareholders have lost their money.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/16/owner-of-the-scotsman-and-i-newspapers-enters-administration

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:03 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Half of frontpage.
Under-strain force faces fracking cost
£1m set aside for policing protests say South Yorkshire police

Thats a scare story cos there are no actual operations in SY
just 2 possible applications near Rotherham

".... blah blah could total £8m"

another half page is about police budgets but half of it is a huge photo of antifracking banners.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:50 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

The alternative reality of medialand people
R4 6pm news a voice talks about the Yorkshire Post situation
He makes 2 points :

#1 "We can't lose the Yorkshire Post etc. cos that's where it's at; they are foundation of news reporting with their court reporting etc."
...And I think WTF !, WTF did YP do for grooming gang crime ? All those years it's being going on in all those towns in the YP areas ... and they sat on it , they didn't expose it

Then his second point
#2 "yeh the Yorkshire Post is the breeding ground for people like Andrew Norfolk ..you know he exposed the grooming gangs"
Again WTF if you listen to Andrew Norfolk he is not actually proud, he feels ashamed cos he knows he sat on the stories for a very long time, cos he too was caught up in the medialand culture of "Oh that's a thing that the far right go on about ..and we don't want look RACIST like they do"

By rights good journalists should have been joining the dots in the late 80s early nineties not sitting on things to 2004 and beyond
..the NUJ is a shameful organisation .. for this.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:11 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen, so what's the considered update on the new owners of the Yorkshire Post? Will 'owt change?
I haven't been following the story, but noticed it got a mention in national headlines.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:07 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Strange that the YP actually gives a straight account of parliament yesterday
Barry Gardiner accused the energy minister of having a secret meeting with fracking companis in May
"Would the Minister like to take this opportunity to apologise for the concealment of that information, and by way of penance would she like to confirm when she will finally visit local residents at Preston New Road to explain why the 36 earthquakes that have occurred since Caudrilla began fracking operations are simply the equivalent of dropping a bag of flour on their kitchen floors?"
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2018-11-20a.715.2

Her reply is quite good
"I am glad the pantomime season is coming up as there is some good auditioning going on."
..".... The hon. Gentleman will also know that at that so-called secret meeting with the fracking companies were the Coalfields Regeneration Trust, the GMB union, representatives of local government and UK100 chaired by the doughty Polly Billington, former special adviser to Edward Miliband.
The idea that I would hold secret meetings with an industry that is so potentially vital is, frankly, ridiculous

...I would be delighted to visit Preston New Road. Unfortunately, however, as I was aggressively approached by a protestor who threatened to visit my home because he knew my children were home alone, I have been advised for security reasons to be very careful about engaging with the protestors. Of course when I go, unlike some Opposition Members, I will make sure to visit the protestors and also those exploiting the resource to create jobs. Those of us on the Government Benches believe in jobs, not mobs."
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2018-11-20a.715.3

That comes from Hansard, cos I can't see any MSM reporting it online.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:59 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Yorkshire Post publishes a letter from some random nutter
'Policing anti-fracking protests is costing South Yorkshire police too much,
..there is an easy way to remedy that ..BAN FRACKING'
... It's signed Natalie Bennett the Green Party

(last election she tried to win a South Yorkshire seat)

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Another retail electricty supplier has folded
Extra Energy from Birmingham.

Nov 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Mon Letters : Coun Paul Andrews claims BEIS has a report "Gas Security of Supply" which says we don't need fracked gas before 2035

says he is replying to Charles Taylor's letter.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

today's Yorkshire Post letters page runs an ugly pic of two wind-turbines
as a 'picture of the day'

FFS Business Section pg6 there is a similar dull pic of 4 turbines.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:16 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Frontpage : small item on Drax carbon capture project
Local TV news says stull like 'The Drax project will suck greenhouse gases out of the air'
... they mean that zero CO2 will be removed from Yorkshire air, but rather theoretically carbon sequestrated in Draxes Trees in America will be transported to Britain , burnt and stored in Britain
and that new trees planted in their place in America will suck up CO2 there.
.. Of course in both places there will be increased CO2 on day, year 1 cos new growth won't even cover the inefficiency losses of transport etc. After 10 years those bigger trees might be sucking in more CO2

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

pg2 Emma Spencer writes : "UN report : Cuts to greenhouse gases must increase massively"

The story doesn't show up on her YP online page

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:23 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Friday letters : another long sermon from Karl Sheridan pushing all green dogma except anti-fracking.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Antifracking died down for a while ?
Thu Dec 6th they had a Climate editorial saying end of coal important, but bemoaning India's 6.8% increase in CO2
(all models of CO2 output are wrong ..dodgy as heck)

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

As of Tuesday still no more antifracking stuff

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:11 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

27th Dec PR material
Re Climate and Enviro PR
Basically the YP and BBC carry every on message PR story that is pushed at them by government and NGO's
So I never list them all here cos there isn't time.
But it's noticeable today the Christian Aid 'Extreme Weather' study, and the Government's plastic bag PR are being cutNpasted today.
So it looks like media basically have a drawer full of embargoed stories sitting in their cupboards which are ready to be CutNpasted to provide instant easy news.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/carrier-bag-charge-to-be-doubled-to-10p-and-extended-to-smaller-shops-1-9509679

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:47 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Letters : tiny one
\\ SHOULD sensible grown-ups (Natalie Bennett, The Yorkshire Post, December 19) concerned over climate talks ask about the impact of cold wintry days when no wind blows and turbines don’t turn?
Apparently, a Welsh coal-fired power station came to the rescue this month when we faced a 100 per cent probability that our lights would go out. //

And very long one calling for
"Regional strategy needed to help tackle climate change"
Mark Fletcher, High Bentham

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Oh that alarming letter is illustrated by the standard backlit cooling tower
to make the steam look dirty.

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:18 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen