Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Controversial Fantasyworld, BBC Themepark : list of attractions.

That you've started fights on multiple threads should tell you something about yourself.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

#10 the seesaw zone - where the seesaws only tip one way and the staff swear that there's nothing unbalanced as far as they can see and if you conplain they've got a saw and will cut you out of the debate altogether.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Tiny CO2. We've been down his path before. The government palmed off licence fee collection to the BBC to avoid getting the blame for what was increasingly being perceived as an unpopular tax. They later compounded this by reclassifying the fee as a tax. The BBC wisely separated the tax generating operation into a totally autonomous entity. This was unsuccessful in that it had to retain the BBC logo.

Think of the licence fee as a government tax to watch TV programmes (not just those from the BBC). The tax doesn't go to the BBC and isn't even hypothecated. Its all a big con job by successive governments with the BBC acting as a patsy.

The government is now going further down the same path, shifting costs for social policy (provision of licence fee costs for the over 75s) to the BBC. Guess who will get blamed if the BBC is forced to cut costs and stops free licence fee provision in order to protect its programming?

Wiki has full coverage of this, so you don't have to take my word for it.

Lots of positivity here I think

Salutations

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:13 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Tiny CO2. Your take that I start fights (but then you are hardly unbiassed). My take is that as a percieved near-Trotskyist my interventions (usually when I can no longer let slurs and falseboods promulgated here go without some comment) are considered challenges to the rightist status quo.

You probably recall how Slumgulliangreen deliberately set me up with a thread using my name and falsifying my words written elsewhere. In defending myself, battle was enjoined by all sorts of nice folks, and I was almost driven from BH. That, no doubt, you count as me starting a fight.

Take it that I will always comment here if I can. And my comments may irritate because they are not from your hymn-book. Live with it.

Even more salutations

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

"near-Trotskyist"

But I don't care about your politcs, seriously don't care. I even understand some of the appeal of the Labour party
and don't love much about the Conservatives. I care that you are repeatedly rude, albeit you think you wrap it up. I care that you try very hard to stop people discussing things you don't like. Like getting rid of the BBC. I care that when called on it you do the outraged aunty act.

Why should any colour of government get the public bad feeling for the licence tax when it's mostly the BBC spending it? Too right they 'palmed it off' onto those who should get the flack. If the minitster in charge of the new contract hadn't been caught with his pants down, the BBC might have got the whipping, rather than him. Here's hoping the BBC succeed in becoming unpopular with all ages between now and the next review.

#11 the staff all complain that the place woud be far better if the public just paid up but didn't come in and expect to be entertained. They should sit at home with a book on why they shouldn't be allowed an opinion.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Dear Tiny. I did challange you to demonstrate where in this thread I have tried to stop anybody from talking about the BBC.

I believe only once before I was accused of doing the same (by you?, I really can't be arsed to go and find out). I had the temerity to point out that, when Bish instituted a BBC- related thread, there was already a thriving discussion thread on more or less the same subject. This I quickly realized was presumptuous of me because it's Bish's site and he can do what he likes with it. If you look, you will find that I very quickly shut up. I only defended myself from incorrect assertions that I was trying to curtail discussion. I wasn't, I was suggesting the topic could be continued on the thread already dedicated to it. I even later explained why I would have preferred Bish threads to cover more interesting topics, but that was a stated desire, never a demand. Surely I have the right to express my preferences, or do you consider you have the responsibility of trampling all over them?

So provide the evidence for your claim. Put up or shut up.

I have repeated ended my posts, directed to you, with pleasantries and have recieved only insults in return. I have not insulted you in return. Do you have manners?

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Yes comment at Jun 5, 2016 at 8:13 AM, which seems SNEER + SNEER + SNEER DramaQueening
(later claimed as " I was only having a little gentle fun at Stewgreen's expense for his penchant for creating yet another anti-BBC thread" *.)
ACTUALLY did have the effect of intimidating from continuing the discussion or from started similar ones.

phrases used there
"Are you sure the world needs yet another thread on the same (BBC) theme" + a sneering tone
Do seem to equal " tried to stop anybody from talking about the BBC."
* and so does this later justification

So save your breaths and lets go back to the thread (or ignoring it)

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I'll make a modification

Attraction #1 The Entrance Gates : Where an army of DRAMA QUEENING Sneering GATEKEEPERS inspect customers social baggage and intimidate customers into NEVER speaking out.

..Note the same Gatekeepers also intimidate the Park Technicians (read scientists) into NEVER speaking out either
These technicians need their salaries and pensions.

I know these thought exercises like this thread may seemed strange..but not how Lewis carrol used Alice in Wonderland to a mirror into the real world and get us to think about it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:07 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Tiny CO2. So, as I knew, you can't point to anything I wrote, just to your highly subjective view that I was intimidating other contributors from participating. That's not what you claim I did - tell people what to do. I have never met a group less likely to be intimidated by me than anti-BBC BH contributors wanting to admonish the BBC on a taylor-made discussion thread. You last post was so laughable that I almost spilt my coffee. What a pitiful excuse of a defense.

Drama queening, I'm an absolute novice compared with you on this thread. At least when I commented I tried to use some humour, unlike yourself who launched into a full blown and over the top insult.

Please do get on, with SW, fleshing out this thread. I genuinely enjoy the wit both of you have employed on occasion, even if I do not agree with all your sentiments.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I answered AK's points already at 11:02 AM (including his request to Tiny to show evidence of intimidation)
so lets move on

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:26 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Tiny CO2. My sincere apologies. I thought (12.02pm) I was responding to you when I should have directed my comments at SW.

SW please consider my comments redirected at you. I didn't think I was sneering, my intention was to mock. To think that you would be intimidated by me is so outrageously funny that, if had realized it was you, I definitely would have had wet pants - with coffee.

Please do continue.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Stewgreen. I think the point you make in your last sentence (11.07am) has real merit.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:04 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Tiny CO2 Alan Kendall & stewgreen,

If you are in agreement about Alice's wondrous reflective experiences, how about a Mad Hotters Tea Party?

In the US, the Mad Hotters and the Tea Party seem locked into Mutually Assured Decapitation, and the DramaQueens of Heartless indifference to humanity are not doing very well.

The BBC/Guardian Climate experts would love to talk about an area of their genuine expertise, drinking tea, and coffee.

Could an American TV Channel do a live Mad Hotters versus Tea Party Debate on TV?

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:00 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Alan Kendall
The Bishop doesn't post Discussions, although he sometimes suggests that comments on one of his posts are taken there.. Discussions are created by readers who want to pursue an interesting byway.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterMessenger

@golf charlie you mean like a zone with a Mad-Hotters/Tea-Party boxing ring ?

Careful not to get the name confused with Controversial Fantasyland's most important workers : The Mad-or-Haters !
and you know the Mad-or-Haters do ?
...That's right they run around fixing holes in the giant Guardian-BBC echo-chambers which make up the entire foundations of Fantasyland.

... Although the Guardian Mad-or-Haters are known as efficient the BBC's are thought to be a bit lazy as they seem to create new echo-chambers, phone their mates to come and view and then rapidly put up the "These chamber are closed to new points of view"

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:17 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

"The Woe-bot Roared tales of doom into the Giant Echo Chambers"

Attraction #12 The Giant Echo-Chambers that make up the foundations of Fantasyland.
There are many different INTERCONNECTED chambers and sub-chambers to visit each named after their sponsors BBC, Guardian, New-Scientist, Reddit etc. People often roar into one chamber only to hear the echo come out of another.
There is a special machine invented in Imperial College University that 24 hours/day injects tales of doom into the echo chambers. Climate legends can often be traced back to what that Woe-bot Roared.

The Mad-or-Haters are employed to keep those echo chambers in tune, rapidly cutting out extra noise that may spoil the echo.

On the outside of the park skeptics have built their own chambers, but these are always like gazebos where any voice can come in.
There are legendary times when Bob Carter, Lawson, Ridley managed to get into the BBC echo-chambers, but they were rapidly ejected and the chamber cleaned with the whining Woe-bot..and the GateKeepers make sure these fellows get back in.

What happens at the BBC Echo-Chambers when the Woe-bot is not working ? They have a stockpile of doom tales in the Horror-Bin.
In fact the Horror-Bin is often overflowing and it can be found in other echo-chambers.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

word missing at the end of 8:17pm
put up the "These chamber are closed to new points of view" SIGN

BTW those echo chambers can be very scary ... but once people become accustomed to them they can be very traumatized whenever they come out of them ..which is why mot people go straight back into them.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:44 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I would have thought that your Fantasyland would lack any realistic foundations.

I trust you will accept any comments like this one in the spirit that they are intended - definitely not sneering. Even Fantasyland needs to be consistent and I may have spotted an inconsistency.

Might I suggest you make some reference to Banksy's Western Super Mare temporary theme park which seems to have some similarities. Perhaps you might offer 2for1 tickets if DismalLand ever reopens.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I hate encouraging you, but how about working up an unattraction based upon the Great Summer Desert of new content (with old travelators passing through it that endlessly repeat their route?).

Or perhaps the theatre of Nordic Noir showing films with subtitles that always flash on and off so quickly they can't be read (or are infuriatingly white on white backgrounds). Films shown should be long and designed so that when patrons temporarily have to leave for necessary refreshment or rest breaks, critical parts of the storyline are always shown.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I put a lot of effort into that "Woe-bot Roared" pun

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

It showed, but like the foundations of CAGW, so much effort......

Why do the echo chambers have to be the foundations? You could have the whole edifice supported by myths (or what you perceive to be myths). I'm sure to regret this.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

foundation ? such cavernous chambers tend to be under the ground

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

put the caverns deeper than the foundations then Large caverns above ground - space launch facilities, airship hangers, sound stages, film studios.... The larger the openings the greater the need for climate control (oh dear!)

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:44 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Re : Attraction #12 The Giant Echo-Chambers that make up the foundations of Fantasyland.

you can shout into one and the answer come booming out of them all
eg1 "How's the Climate now ?"
Ans ................. "worse than we thought !" worse than we thought !" worse than we thought !"

eg2 "Who are the evil ones"
Ans ................. "The Deniers !" "The Deniers !" "The Deniers !" "The Deniers !"

eg "Which scientists believe ?"
Ans ................. "97% !" "97% !" "97% !" "97% !" "96% !" "no 97% you idiot" ..."97% !" "97% !" "97% !"

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

When you visit those caverns who might you spot ?
Yes that's right the trolls ..Phil C sitting where he works in the Greenpeace Echo Chamber ..busy posting out links he has never actually read cos its too dark in the cavern to read

If you go into the wind industry Echo Chamber you might spot a troll pretending that he is a retired science teacher.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen