Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Donald Trump thread

Golf Charlie

Do you have proper evidence for that last post or is it just more of your denialist bullshit?

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:46 PM | Entropic man

Entropic Man, can I assume you have taken the Advanced Climate Science Course in Communication?

Just because you have failed in Climate Science, Law and now Economics, there is no need to keep drawing attention to it.

Obviously if you would like to explain your ideas about the reason for so many people being made redundant and factories closed down in the UK, EU and USA, with production restarting in the Far East, get on to Trump, before he closes down the Junk Climate Science Factories that you depend on, and makes everyone redundant.

You have less than a week, but based on his predecessors bad judgement, he is unlikely to make the same mistakes

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Entropic Man, perhaps you ought to read up on Supply and Demand Economics.

If people want smollets, it creates demand. People make smollets, and sell them to people who want smollets

Very few people wanted Climate Science, so Taxpayers had to pay for it. The taxpayers paying for Climate Science, and for everything becoming more expensive due to Climate Science, are now fed up with Climate Science, and have noticed that Climate Science has never been proved or tested, and no real evidence has ever been produced. Various time limits have been set for really really bad stuff to start happening, but nothing has, as each time limit has been passed.

The UK has not been overwhelmed by anything, having scrapped the DECC. Trump has decided to scrap funding Climate Science, and possibly some contributions towards the UN and it's IPCC.

Some US Universities have invested heavily into Climate Science. I have no idea how much of that comes from Taxpayers, or from how many different departments or budgets, but it seems likely that an over supply of Climate Scientists in the US may be chasing substantially reduced sources of funding. Other Countries that still fund Climate Science, maybe awash with applications for every vacancy, alternatively, other countries may choose to outsource their Climate Science research to the USA, where market forces will have slashed salaries.

Just because Stern did well out of his report, doesn't make him a reliable source on Economics.
Just because Mann did well out of his Hockey Stick, doesn't make him a reliable source on Climate Science, or Law.

Stern will defend himself by blaming Climate Scientists for bad advice.
Mann will try and defend himself, without much support from other Climate Scientists, or any reliable evidence.

Entropic Man will continue to blame everybody else, due to his DENIAL

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:22 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Watching Channel 4 News. They just reported that some Chrysler models have similar software to that described in the VW scandal.

Perhaps the US car industry needs to be protected from itself. 😕

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:53 PM | Entropic man

Seems that Renault and Fiat have been at it too. So with VW (including Skoda, Seat etc), we have German, French, Italian, Spanish and Czech car makers being accused. Not good timing with more General Elections coming up, and an anti-EU backlash brewing.

And who designed the EU rules for Diesel Emissions? The French and Germans based on advice from their car makers. The EU created demand for diesels, and the French and Germans knew how to supply it, and how to break the rules.

Another nail in the EU's coffin.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:53 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Entropic Man, it seems the USA's department of job killers, can't do Economics or Maths either

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/01/13/not-tired-of-winning-yet/

This is the sort of ruling that proves Trump was right to appoint Pruitt to run the EPA. He can count on all of the cost savings, and simply ignore all the costs of redundancies.

Serves the EPA right for being in DENIAL about the social cost of their work.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:15 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Gwendolyn.
"If people want smollets, it creates demand. People make smollets, and sell them to people who want smollets"

Small-headed Scots folk (Clan Smollett) resent the implication that they can be made and sold, but are pleased that they might be in demand.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, the Smollets get everywhere, even into places that are not accessible to thingymebobs. They are frequently misidentified as something else, being amongst the small bits and pieces that don't fit, or have an apparent purpose, when everything else is back together, but the bloody thing still doesn't work.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll, in Climate Science, inconvenient bits of data are simply discarded, to make their models work, and point in the right direction. As no one yet knows how much good data has had to be thrown away, it is not possible to ascertain whether any of it would be worthy of a smollet classification.

Can you remember whether CRU had an extra rubbish bin marked "NOT FOR RECYCLING"? If so that could be where some inconvenient smollets of Jones' Chinese period "accidentally" ended up.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

More EM tripe

Even the Guardian recognises the effect of anti CO2 policies

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jan/19/co2-emissions-outsourced-rich-nations-rising-economies

A draft of the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, obtained by the Guardian, says emissions of carbon dioxide and the other greenhouse gases warming the planet grew twice as fast in the first decade of the 21st century as they did during the previous three decades.

Much of that rise was due to the burning of coal, the report says. And much of that coal was used to power factories in China and other rising economies that produce goods for US and European consumers, the draft adds.

Since 2000, annual carbon dioxide emissions for China and the other rising economies have more than doubled to nearly 14 gigatonnes a year, according to the draft report. But about 2 GT a year of that was produced making goods for export.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM | Registered CommenterBreath of Fresh Air

Googling such words as

Biofuels food crisis scandal

will produce loads of responses, including articles from The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph, so no political bias.

The Guardian articles are not written by the same Green Blob Muppets that spout gibberish over at Skeptical Science, so Entropic Man can probably DENY having read honest media reporting about the problems which helped trigger unrest and civil wars along the southern and eastern coasts of the Mediterranean.

This includes Syria, which Green Blob Muppets tried to blame on Global Warming. What a bunch of deceitful liars, the Green Blob are, when they caused food prices to rise.

Entropic Man still wants to blame everyone but himself. I think DENIAL is the correct term.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:50 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Gwendolyn, Ravishing Rattie, Decided to follow your advice gC and google. Unfortunately due to a surfeit of Jamiesons I put in the search word "golfCharlie" and discovered you were a blogging airline pilot. Adding "Gwendolyn" to the search parameters, and up you pop in all your BH glory. I think Ravishing Rattie that this confirms your thesis.
After that, I had no stomach for biofuels and food scarcity, so had another Jamiesons.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, alas, my Country Bumpkin status tends to rule me out of flying airliners, but I have done a lot of pilotage. Charts for navigation show areas which are generally safe, coloured blue and white. The bits you want to avoid, are coloured green and brown. Successful airline pilots like to fly in the blue and white bits, and avoid the visible greens and browns.

My limited experience of co-piloting single engined aircraft, did confirm that the green and brown bits are worth avoiding, along with peat stained alcoholic beverages, otherwise colourful stomach contents can obscure the view.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:45 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

The plot thickens:
GWPF: Trump Meets With Princetown Physicist Who Says CO2 Is Good For Us
The Washington Post
Yes, Donald Trump met with Al Gore. But on Friday, according to the Trump transition team, the president-elect also met with William Happer, a Princeton professor of physics who has been a prominent voice in questioning whether we should be concerned about human-caused climate change.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Obama has rushed through a midterm evaluation that was due by April 2018: it was finalise the 2025 targets for fuel efficiency standards for cars and trucks. Why the rush :) :
CEI: Can Trump, Congress Undo EPA’s Midnight Fuel Economy Regulation?

CEI: Reaction to Reported EPA Fuel Efficiency Rule, Part 1: The Politics of the Matter

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Robert Christopher, that may be the last desperate act, that Obama is remembered for.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:01 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll, if the Jamieson's has settled your stomach, two Guardian articles, from 2008 and 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2011/jun/01/biofuels-driving-food-prices-higher

How can the Green Blob claim they did not understand the consequences?

I still do not know whether burning extra virgin olive oil instead of conventional diesel fuel, in a compression ignition engine will produce more or less pollution.

The practical problem of using cooking oil, is that it has to be hot enough to be injected into the cylinders as a "spray". Once an engine is running, enough heat is generated to do this. Heating cold veggie oil, to start a cold engine, is the problem that can be overcome by a battery and electronic heating coils. Mixing cooking oil with diesel fuel, requires less pre-heat. The simplest solution is to start a cold engine with diesel oil, and then gradually switch to pure vegetable oil as rising temperatures allow.

Adding biofuel to diesel, massively increases the number of different types of micro-organisms that can contaminate fuel, block filters, and stop engines. Google "diesel bug". Yes, I have hands-on experience! It is very, very real.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Gwendolyn. Is the diesel bug related to the WW2 doodlebug? I gather its engine used to cut off rather abruptly.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, diesel bug is unrelated to the doodlebug, but both have caused many lives to be lost.
If you want to know more .........

http://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353

Adding other types of "oil" to diesel has made matters worse.

Engine failure is a very broad term. If nothing has actually broken, blocked fuel filters are the most common cause for diesel engines. Prevention IS better than cure, I have used biocides as contained in products such as Marine 16 and Grotamar.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:31 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Supertroll, I am sure that EM will state that diesel bug is excreted by bulls

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

I once, way back when, told a pipeline guy that the Exxon Valdez spill would all be eaten by microbes, and quickly. I don't know whether the look on his face was amazement at the insight or incredulity that a layperson might so understand.
============

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Omigod, thanks, gc; Dung Beetles.
===========

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Kim neatly returns us to the Volkswagen travesty.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Fahrvergnugen!
==========

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM | kim

You were absolutely right. Crude oil has been leaking into the sea for 100s of millions of years. It is not surprising that microbes evolved to feed on it. With all the millions of tons of oil torpedoed crossing the Atlantic in WW2, how much of it washed up on the shores of Western Europe?

When there have been oil tanker disasters, the oil that can be removed, is contained. The remainder is "dispersed", ie sprayed with hi-tech washing-up liquid, so it is easier for microbes to consume, once it is washed back into the sea.

The microbes exist in the boundary layer between water and oil, and some water will inevitably end up in fuel tanks from condensation of the moisture in air as it replaces fuel that is used.

As diesel bug can be a combination of 100+ different microbes, it's appearance can be a black sludge, light brown sand, an opaque gel etc.

Remedial work to decontaminate land polluted with oils, fuel spillages etc, frequently involves spraying with cultivated diesel bug, though it will have a more expense justifying name.

It was not until about 1960 (?) following a USAAF disaster with a plane that someone in the US Military demanded to know where the "dirt" in fuels was coming from, that it was realised it was biological in nature.

When

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

When = an oops!

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

http://www.grotamar.com/grotamar-en/

I have not used their products, but Marine 16, which uses the same biocide/active ingredient.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:09 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie