Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Are BHers out to kill the BBC ?

STEWGREEN. ARE YOU JUST A SLOW LEARNER?

-5 across the board.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I wish to amend my 7.36 statement. Rereading the early pages of this thread I now recognize my point 2 is inaccurate. I wish to replace it with

2) From the outset I realised I would not get a reasonable discussion and initially refused to contribute. I was, however, repeatedly drawn into the fray by misrepresentations of what I had written elsewhere or by deliberate provocations like that of Salopman (= saladman). NOT troll behaviour.

Note that in my first statement I was misremembering better treatment from you. That didn't happen.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

After unsuccessfully asking to be left alone (troll behaviour? I think not) I seriously considered just departing BH. But then thought I will not be driven out. I devised my system which has riled you up so awfully well. I explained that this was my shorthand system, easy to operate, that expressed my considered judgement upon what you wrote about what I had previously written, or the increasingly troll like comments you were making about me. The system had two advantages to me a) it gave you little to distort, and b) it was my opinion, stated to be such, and therefore fair comment. Your reaction to it - as expected, slow to realize what now confronted you, then a slowdown and then a brief quiescence.

The triumph of the passive aggressive.

Not a pretty sight.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A.

Be reassured its not passive. It's 100 per cent, grade A pure aggressive.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:55 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Alan, aTTP also keeps telling BH readers/commenters similar things along the lines of "I don't know why I bother with you lot". But he too just keeps coming back for more.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:16 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Mike.

True, but I don't think you appreciate just how pisxxd off I am with you all, or if you are aware, you just don't care a fig.

My shade will indeed continue to haunt you here with my new "device". Now that is a threat. No passiveness at all.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Mike. So you categorize me in the same camp as aTTP? Good to know.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Alan Kendall,
If it's any consolation I don't think your robust defense of the BBC in this thread could be considered trolling. I'm not sure that your "device" helped but each to his own as it is with the output from the BBC.

Elsewhere you get positive responses from regulars here and engage in civil conversations hardly symptomatic of trolling.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Indeed SandyS I have tried as much as possible to keep operating as normal elsewhere. The device does appear to have been effective here and I wish to retire it ASAP

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

But it won't stop us saying the BBC should go, no matter how often you deploy your childish scoring system.

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

SandyS. Just returned from dog walking during which I realized that my response to you should have been more generous. It was so much more than just a consolation. I very much appreciate it.

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Tiny,

learned nothing yet? On another thread a brick wall was mentioned. Take the advice offered then and there.

Creeping up there:
Logic index -6
Empathy. needs a transplant.

Can play this silly game forever.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

So AK is that rare subspecie of troll, the self-righteous angry troll.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

He has seemed perfectly logical in the past,
Now seems he's not angry with what people actually said, but angry with ghosts of his own making. As many times he he took 2 leaps of logic and imagined they'd said something else. And then seems was not polite enough to check with them

As far as I can see people were polite to him.
I am interested in his alternative view of BBC bias, but he's presented no proper evidence.

There's no point in getting angry with people, cos sometimes it's alcohol, or stress or something that's really speaking.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:36 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

How self congratulating some of you are, such self belief. Makes me want to doff mi cap and pull forelock. How could I ever reach your lofty heights. Leave you to your well thought out thoughts. Will gaze upon your lofty works with suitable awe.

I never opposed you expressing your views on the BBC, I am infuriated by your mistreatment of mine. Something that I know you vehemently dispute. Note however that you keep on coming at me. If you force me to be a troll, I'll get as much enjoyment from it as I can. Again you choose - an ally or a vengeful enemy.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

I think it's time you left Alan before you damage your health.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM | Unregistered CommenterLurker

hunter
Seeing as this Discussion thread was started by Stewgreen and Alan Kendall, who has posted perfectly normal "Bishop Hill" contributor comments elsewhere, was in the most partresponding to comments made by others then I'm afraid I disagree with your comment of Apr 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM and in particular the accusation of trolling. Although comments like that may well colour the attitude of others to perfectly reasonable comments made in the future.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Lurker. What a simply perfect name for you, and for you to be so concerned with my wellbeing. Its touching.

Remind your mother its time for mouth washing.

So that's one definite vote for me to leave.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Stewgreen, correction. I don't believe the BBC is unbiased, have never believed that, and have repeated stated this. I don't, on he other hand, support the nuclear option favoured by some here, to eviscerate the BBC or to call for its destruction . I value much of the BBC output. You don't, fine. We disagree, but why ob why do you just keep on attacking me?

Again my views are being distorted. What evidence do you have that I am defending the BBC against bias? Put up or shut up Stewgreen.

If you look far back you will discover that this thread originated from a discussion in unthreaded about The Big Question and Nicky Campbell. Read again what I said then, views that I still adhere to and which I surmise are nearly identical to your own.

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Quick point AK, you say I infuriated you, that of course is not my intention.
If you click my name you'll see a box pops up to send me a private message. Of course I tried last week to msg you but it doesn't work cos you use an anonymous login here.
#2 most people here use a rule that Willis on WUWT always states

My Usual Request: Confusion is a huge stumbling block, so if you disagree with me or anyone, please quote the exact words you disagree with so we can all understand your objections. I can defend my own words. I cannot defend someone else’s interpretation of some unidentified words of mine.
PS : Alan when did I say something like that you are "defending the BBC against bias? "

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

That's why my name is Lurker.

My long dead mother never needed to give me a mouth wash, though I think you need to think about your own, mouth that is, not your mother.

My vote would be for you to leave but then I can't speak for others. You throw yourself into the lions den and when the lions start to eat you seem surprised. Maybe you think you are too important to be treated this way.

So from me Alan, it's goodbye. But if you really want to stick around get rid of the prima donna attitude.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:17 PM | Unregistered CommenterLurker

Stewgreen 2.36pm today.

"I am interested in his alternative view of BBC bias...."

Your turn, when did I ever suggest I had an alternative view about BBC bias?

I tried to understand it, suggesting in the past that the BBC now may not believe it needs to be neutral about alternatives to AGW. But trying to understand never equates to my sympathy for them in this matter. I have often recommended here that BHers try to put yourselves into the shoes of opponents, better to understand them and, if possible, attack them or bend them to our will.

My alternative view has always concerned how the BBC should be dealt with. I favour criticism, reform (if possible) rather than downright destruction.

If someone at BH could tell me what to do, I'll switch on whatever gubbins I need to. Supplied my email address and have been contacted by Josh in the past. I thought anyone could get my email from BH.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Lurker your mouth grows ever more foul. I'm pleased not to have made your acquaintance before. Troll I brand you.

Do you work for a pro AGW organization by any chance? Does that control your voting?

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Mike. So you categorize me in the same camp as aTTP? Good to know.

Apr 23, 2016 at 11:34 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Kendall

Alan, I'll elaborate.

When you (one) posts something and get replies from, say, five people who disagree with you, I think it often doesn't turn out well when you start trying to answer five people with one reply.

It may seem more efficient when you don't have time to reply individually, but those five people are unlikely to all think they have said the same thing. So your reply runs a high risk of producing further disagreement.... which is a recipe for less courteous exchanges. Individuals like Stewgreen are amongst the least antagonistic at Bishop Hill, in my opinion. To witness you getting into increasingly pointless exchanges with people who I believe are not ill-willed towards you suggests that there may be a more serious breakdown in communication.

People like aTTP and Raff, may suffer from the same issue, but their disagreement with people on this blog run far deeper.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Alan, what planet are you from?

To use your phrase; I can keep this up all day. Troll worries me nought. I have lived with prima donna's all my working life. Your abuse is simply water of a ducks back.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM | Unregistered CommenterLurker