Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Does Climate Science Exist?

Entropic Mann

I suggest mocking EM's condescension, his delusions, and his general ignorance, rather than his name.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:47 AM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

...meh...

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR
splitpin does have a point. We're all of us guilty occasionally but it hardly encourages support for our argument especially when this particular mockery has been done to death.
Even the phrase 'Mann-made' would have more effect if it was confined to those instances where there is some evidence of manipulation by that individual or one of his coterie of data that lead to that conclusion.
DaveB has just made a comment on the 'Media balance' thread, part of which I cannot agree with but part of which is, to my mind, obvious, namely that if you are going to make comments about (in this instance) 'The Nationalist' newspaper, it pays to know what you are slagging off.
As you surely know I have made similar comments about people apparently unable to understand how the British parliamentary system works or how to spell Lord Deben's name correctly. Every pointless or careless error we make reduces our credibility!

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:45 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Okay, okay! It is a sad attempt by me to get past the smug, arrogant pomposity that EM exudes in almost all his comments; not a trace of humility, nor any doubt that he or his observations or his half-baked, precious formulae could be wrong; “I have thought it, therefore it is,” being his mantra, “any who doubt this is but equivalent to the dumbest kid in the lowest grade, and should be treated accordingly.”

As this seems to be the sort of philosophy endemic throughout the alarmist world, perhaps I should take consolation in that it is rarely found in the more sceptical sections of the argument.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Mockery is a familiar tool of those trying to discredit an opponent. It tends to be used by those who have run out of legitimate arguments. Since you have spent most of the last page discussing me instead of the science, I take it that this thread has run its course.

Feel free to mock my name, my residual dyslexia and the habits of an old teacher. It confirms my opinion that, from the perspective of a neutral observer, I have won.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM - I think you have done your share of mocking in this thread.

"...from the perspective of a neutral observer I have won"

Illustrating the point I have made several times: you tend to imagine something and, from that point on, it becomes your reality.

I think you are probably correct that the thread has run its course. We have pretty much concluded that "climate science" does not exist as a scientific subject, mainly because of its ready acceptance of nonscientific rubbish as a part of it. You yourself have provided a number of examples.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Martin A

This summarises our problem.

We both have opinions.

Mine can be backed up by mathematics, physics and statistics. They are supported by datasets of temperature, rainfall, ocean heat content ,sea level rise, sea ice and glacier retreat, land ice melt and changes in radiation balance.

Your opinions have no basis in fact. You have been unable to back up your opinions with peer reviewed science, or indeed any credible science.There is a technical term for such opinions. WRONG!

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Your opinions have no basis in fact.
Aug 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM Entropic man

EM - you have earlier in this thread said that I have:
- no knowlege of caves (ie of the sort that an eight year old learns when they visit Cheddar caves)
- that I don't know how to do at O-level specific heat calculations
- that I have big gaps in my knowledge of geology, biology, astronomy.

All on essentially zero evidence (eg no more evidence than that you have never seen me mention these subjects)

Would you care to summarise my opinions on climate science as you understand them?
(Just so we know what each other is talking about) Based on your previous statements, your understanding of what I know and what I think is probably... shall we say ... tenuous.

I'd also just remind you (just a couple of examples for now) that you seemed to believe:

- that Ohm's law in metallic resistances was nothing more than an empirical relationship without a known and precise
theoretical basis (ie the effect of electric fields on electron mean velocity within metals).

- That base-e logarithms are cannot be replaced by base-10 logarithms.

Not exactly inspiring confidence in your opinions on physics and maths, whatever you claim 'backs them up'.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:16 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

EM
You have omitted a vital word from your 9.40PM post.
Please insert "selective" before the word "datasets".
What has bedevilled the whole climate debate from the very beginning has been the extent to which the proponents of the scam have built their entire edifice on moveable figures.
NASA or UEA have been the guardians of the figures and have shamelessly manipulated them to the point where it is now impossible to know what is the truth and what isn't. Phil Jones' lame equivalent of "the dog ate my homework" when he confessed that a lot of raw data had been lost because there was no room to store it might have been acceptable had it not followed hard on the heels of his notorious "Why should I give you my data ..."
Other examples abound. 1934 was the warmest year on record in the US right through till 2001 when NASA (Hansen?) back-adjusted the figures to promote 1998. Was the adjustment legitimate? We don't know but given Hansen's near panic-stricken obsession with global warming (how's New York doing these days, James? Still there?) I think it's legitimate to have doubts. The constant shuffling of the base for calculating the "anomalies". The frequent adjustments to historic figures because the stations "might" have been moved.
Or how about this raft of adjustments from Paul Homewood's blog?
Time to clear some of this undergrowth out of the way and follow Steve McIntyre's advice to watch the thimbles very carefully.
I took RR to task for use of the phrase "Mann-made" but Homewood uses it and at the very least it is starting to look as if a lot of the "warming" is either Mann- or Hansen- or somebody-made because it's my guess that if you strip out all the tweakings, reinstate some of the cooler weather stations that were closed down in the 1990s cull, took an honest approach to UHI and stopped blowing hot air on sensors at airports then most if not all of this mythical "warming" would disappear.
No, there is no such thing as climate "science". It is a subject worthy of study but not in the manner it is being studied (used? manipulated?) by a range of otherwise competent scientists far outside their own area of expertise, too arrogant to take advice from anyone, and too stupid to understand the extent to which they have been conned by (or have perhaps happily acquiesced with) politicians, grubby financiers, and ecological extremists.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

"They are supported by datasets of temperature, rainfall, ocean heat content ,sea level rise, sea ice and glacier retreat, land ice melt and changes in radiation balance."

Temperature: The temperature has risen by 0.8C since 1880 (we think because we're not comparing apples with apples, and for reasons that have never been clear to me the people who hold the temperature records have been tampering with them so we don't actually have the raw data). If you hadn't have been told you wouldn't know it was warmer.

Rainfall. I know of no scientific data that gives us anything to be concerned about by rainfall. The only data I have to hand is a decrease in both frequency and intensity of tropical storms. Do you have references for "dangerous" rainfall?

Ocean heat content. So? It's been warmer one would expect the heat in the ocean to increase. In fact it's increase is trivial and has to be expressed in Joules to scare people.

Sea level rise. Again one would expect that if we are warming, but it's impact as "Mr. Scary" is a little stunted by the fact that sea levels have been rising throughout the Holocene, and there has been no acceleration since 1880, unless you take the "acceleration' identified with obvious glee when we change from tide gauges to satellites. In fact no "acceleration" has occurred since. The world expert on oceans, Dr. Morner says there's no reason for concern. The government of the Maldives has built 11 airports in their island, simultaneously telling the world it is shortly to sink into the oceans.

Sea ice and glacier retreat. Sea ice isn't retreating, as of today it's expanding. Having said that whether it's retreating or expanding there cannot be a useful signal in a data set that is only 36 years old. As for glaciers, that's what they do, advance and retreat, and in any even some are advancing and some are retreating, we just don't get to hear of the advancing glaciers because it doesn't ring with the sensationalism.

Land ice melt has only been measured in the GRACE satellite era, for sure, we are told there has been a reduction in mass, but is it dangerous? 90% of all the ice in the world is in an area of the world which would require an increase of 30C+ to melt the ice. It is scaremongering at it's worst to suggest that this is all going to melt and cause sea level rises of 6M or more.

Radiative imbalance. Which data set are you using for radiative imbalance? As far as Dr. Trenberth and his fellow scientists are concerned the heat we should get from a radiative imbalance is "missing" and it's a "travesty". Quite why a scientist would consider it to be a "travesty" that the world isn't heating is a mystery to me, and you may consider why yourself. ( don't give me that old tosh about the oceans warming while the atmospheric temperatures are static unless you can point to the physics that can explain why the atmosphere warmed between 1880 and 2000 and has suddenly stopped now).

Even if all these so-called data sets indicated warming, there has to be another step to take and that is to imagine that a warmer world would be disastrous. There is no data set for that, it is the output of the IPCC SPMs, and is little more than opinion, certainly not science.

"Mine can be backed up by mathematics, physics and statistics." I don't want to be rude, but the only thing that backs up a theory is empirical data. Moreover this empirical data must be gathered after the theory has been formulated, and the theory can't be changed when empirical data doesn't fit the theory as formulated. In other words the theory will enable you to make forecasts of future behaviour, and if the forecasts are true the theory hasn't been proved wrong. Neither the forecasts nor the theory can be changed post hoc. As a hypothesis the CO2 causes warming which will cause disasters is probably the worst in the history of science; its predictions failing within a few years and the science being continually modified to account for the failure of the predictions (missing heat is in the sea, which, of course to any real scientist would beg the question, "why did it stay in the atmosphere until 1998 and then start going into the sea?").

As for the predictions of temperature increases based on the physics and datasets they are wildly out, so I would caution anyone from assuming that they could talk with authority on the basis that they have the physics and datasets of climate science as their "sword and shield" in the debate.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:09 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo

Wot you sed!

Wasn't "sword and shield" the motto of the KGB?

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Agree with your sentiments, MJ, Geronimo has covered it very well. As I have mentioned in a blog thread, the soon-to-be-broadcast C4 programme on the search for the searchers for the NW passage does admit several points, two of which are that the present summer sea ice is highest it has been in recent years, and that the sea ice extent was such in the 19th century that it was thought that it was thin enough to attempt to sail through – the implications have long been that the present levels are dangerously low compared with history, when it was feet deep all the time.

Oh, by the way, I think I can answer the question, “why did it stay in the atmosphere until 1998 and then start going into the sea?” ’Cos it wanted to cool off! Simples! (It’s as good a reason as many of those proposed, and better than others.)

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

It fancied a dip.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

MJ: "Wasn't "sword and shield" the motto of the KGB?" Might have been but I took it from Tory politician, Jonathan Aitkin who when accused of some misdeeds said he would defend himself (I'm paraphrasing from memory) with the "sword of truth and the shield of fair play" in a libel suit against the Guardian. He lost the libel suit, was subsequently convicted of perjury by a jury of plebs and served time.

I should make it clear that I'm not accusing, or inferring, EM is in the remotest perjuring himself on these pages and also make clear that I am not comparing him to Jonathan Aitken, just using the "sword and shield" metaphor (or is it a simile?).

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

I should make it clear that I'm not accusing, or inferring ...
Who would have believed otherwise? Perish the thought!
I think it's a metaphor, though I confess I was never sure. I think one sort of drifts seamlessly into the other. I'd forgotten Aitken's forthright defence of himself. No doubt about what that was:- hubris! Also stupidity.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:56 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Years back, in the IT industry, a colleague and I started an investigation of the nature of bullshit - there was so much of it around there. (We were unaware of Harry Frankfurt's work: http://www.stoa.org.uk/topics/bullshit/pdf/on-bullshit.pdf )

We concluded that:

- Bullshitting is primarily saying what you think - or would like - to be true but without knowing or verifying. As Harry Frankfurt says, it is not lying. To lie, you have to know the truth.

- The most convincing bullshit, of the highest quality, comes from those who have convinced themselves of the truth of what they are saying and sincerely believe it - often on the basis of what they have been told - but without seeing, or understanding, the need to verify what they are saying.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:01 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Metaphor. A simile would say "like the sword and shield". A metaphor asserts that it is "the sword and shield".

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

diogenes, thanks I now know that a simile is "like a metaphor".

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo,

you state that a theory should be judged empirically by checking its predictions against observations. Four questions then:

1) When was the theory that Co2 causes warming first formulated.
2) What was the predicted rate of warming when this theory was first formulated.
3) How much has this predicted rate of warming changed since this first formulation.
4) What has been the observed rate of warming

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterArthur Johnson

(1) Fourrier and Tyndallcam up with the idea but the theory was formulated in a paper by Arrhenius in 1896;
(2) The predicted rate of warming for a doubling of CO2 in the atmosphere in the 1896 paper was 6C, later reduced to 4C apron 1900;
(3) A doubling of CO2 is now thought to bring about an increase in warming of 3C, so since the original formulation it has halved;
(4) using Arrhenius original calculations we should have seen a TCR between 1.3C and 1.8C, using the IPPC version of his equation we should have seen a TCR of 1.4C. (We are approximately 150 ppm away from the doubling used in Arrhenius' equation, which at current rates of progress means it will be between 50 and 70 years before we get to doubling, and a further 200 years or more before we get to an ECS somewhere in the range 1.5 - 4.5C, the last IPCC report AR5 didn't give a likely temperature increase of 3C, presumably because of the rash of papers using empirical data that are showing lower sensitivities. We have seen around 0.8C increase in temperature since he wrote his paper.

If you want a more empirical attempt at evaluating the impact of CO2 on the atmosphere have a look at Guy Callender's work here.

Both Arrhenius and Callender assumed that the warming would be a good thing for the planet, and they have good reason to think so, because the warmer parts of the planet are the most fecund and pleasant. Catastrophism is a brand new theory with not a single empirical basis in fact.

I'm not sure what point you want to make. It's getting warmer? Who said it wasn't? Some of it is caused by CO2 in the atmosphere? Who said it wasn't? It's not having the effect predicted by the hypothesis and nobody knows why, but even if it was there's another enormous step we need to take and that is we need to believe a warming world will be disastrous, and where's the evidence for that?

The models uniformly show that temperature should have continued to rise beyond 2000, in fact temperatures have remained statistically stable, so there are two possibilities, the physics used in the models is wrong, or the modellers haven't properly modelled the physics of the atmosphere. There is a wide divergence in the models, quite naturally because there are huge gaps in our knowledge of the atmospheric processes. If you make a forecast of an increase in temperature of 0.3C over 10 years (as the Met Office did) between 2004 and 2014 and it is wrong, then your hypothesis is wrong, no ifs and buts, it's wrong. Met office prediction and the scientific method here

If you back a horse to win the Grand National and it comes in a close second try persuading your bookie that because you were nearly right he should pay you out as a winner. If you predict that temperatures will increase and they don't, or they do, but not by the quantity predicted, you're wrong, no ifs and buts, wrong.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Arthur Johnson
1 Usually taken to be Svante Arrhenius (1859-1927) was a Swedish scientist that was the first to claim in 1896 that fossil fuel combustion may eventually result in enhanced global warming. I think I read somewhere that the theory actually predates this.

2 Arrhenius suggested a doubling of the CO2 concentration would lead to a 5°C temperature rise

3.From Wikimedia Commons.

Scientists say that doubling pre-industrial carbon dioxide levels will likely cause global average surface temperature to rise between 1.5° and 4.5° C

4 Averaged over all land and ocean surfaces, temperatures warmed roughly 0.85ºC from 1880 to 2012, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
CO2 rose from roughly 240ppm to about 390ppm during that time

Questions for you,
1. What proportion of 0.85ºC is due to natural variation? (I think 100% or as near as makes no difference)
2. Do you think the theory of Svante Arrhenius is wrong as pointed out by Knut Angstrom in 1900? (I think yes)
3 Do you think that CO2 is actually causing any problems currently? (I think no)
4 What do you think is the safe level for CO2 and the safe increase in global temperature? (I think we just don't know either)

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

SandyS Typo? "roughly 240ppm".

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM | Registered Commentergeronimo

Comment by Philip Bratby on another thread relevant to the subject of this thread:

http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2015/8/7/letts-accuse.html#comment21390489

The sooner Harrabin is pensioned off the better. I do not trust a single word he writes.

The strange thing is that many of the BBC programmes that touch on science in some way, often talk about the need for the sceptical view being heard in science. Which proves I guess that "climate science" is not a proper science.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM Phillip Bratby

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

geronimo,
yes 280 ppm is the agreed pre-industrial level, I was thinking of the level immediately post iceage. Which in itself is interesting as it is generally accepted that the Average Global temperature was greater at that time.

It looks like Arthur Johnson just made a "drive by" comment.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

SandyS: My guess is that Arthur was going to make the case that Arrhenius predicted temperature rises and they were observed, admittedly lower than forecast. Unfortunately he predicted ECS temperatures based on a doubling of CO2, which is almost impossible to prove right, or wrong, and will take some centuries to prove.

Unfortunately for Arthur the hypothesis is that increasing CO2 will cause increased atmospheric temperature. That's the basis for the output of the models for every IPCC report so far, and these outputs have been wrong since 1998. To paraphrase Feynman, if the empirical evidence shows that the models are overestimating the temperature rise you can't say any warming at all is due to CO2 unless you can say why it hasn't warmed, and as he puts it there are "moogles" that have caused it not to warm as much as it did unless you know for certain what the "moogles" are.

He's probably new to the game as well, just like many sceptics are, making assumptions about their prospective antagonists, like many sceptics do, that they haven't thought the problem through, in Arthur's case he probably believes that the sceptical movement - if there is such a thing - is composed of a bunch of right-wing, anti-science, ignorant, bigots, harrying the patient white coated scientists searching for the truth by spreading misinformation. (when the opposite is easily proved to be true. That would certainly be my impression from the MSM and the constant propaganda to that effect. Maybe he asked the questions because he'd assumed sceptics didn't know where the theory came from to show us (me actually) up. Who knows? we'll probably not here from him again.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo