Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > We are wasting our time; all of it.

There is also no past experience to guide us, nobody having tried to double the CO2 concentration before.

May 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Except when it was double.

May 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

A good point.

If you accept that paleo evidence that CO2 was once higher, do you also accept the evidence for high sea level and high temperature that accompanied the high CO2?

If not, why not?

If you do accept the full package, why do you still feel that no policy for adaptation is necessary?

May 24, 2015 at 6:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM

Of course sea levels changed massively in the past but that was not always accompanied by unusually high levels of CO2.
Levels of atmospheric CO2 are today lower than they have ever been apart from during glacial periods.
People on Bishop Hill are strongly in favour of adaptation to changing climate and are certainly not stupid enough to believe that we can change the climate to suit our needs.

May 24, 2015 at 7:05 PM | Registered CommenterDung

EM

So you're argument is because the system is harder to predict that we can use theory and statistics to "fill in" stuff we don't know. Statistics that essentially try and prize information from noise and theory that is more or less pure hypothesis.

Because this is the best we have?

I agree with you on this point. But only in terms of science as you can state all those assumptions when you state your results.

My professional training says though that when you come to me and start saying Co2 drives the greenhouse effect, will cause
warming, will melt ice caps etc etc and we have to do something about it, I ask what certainty you have in this?

If all I see are models and assumptions with low uncertainties I know there's something up because those uncertainties should be much larger since you know less about your system, having made less measurements and characterised much less in that system. A system that is harder to measure is by definition harder to know.

This isn't my opinion, it's common sense.

I could argue all day about this EM, but it's going to come down to the same thing:

You cannot have one rule for climate science and another rule for things like jet engines, cars and phones. The more you have to employ complex statistics and maths instead of having measurements, the less you actual know about a system. And the more valid are alternative hypotheses to explain what little you can see. After all the more vague a theory the easier it is to demonstrate.

You may think otherwise or have convinced yourself that "man made climate change" demands action but I just don't see it. The data isn't good enough.

May 24, 2015 at 8:05 PM | Registered CommenterMicky H Corbett

Radical, why are you bothered about accuracy? We don't care whether the world is 12C or 12.1C, we are interested in how it is changing. Averaging many sources does not increase the accuracy, but it clearly removes uncorrelated noise. That is clear, I hope.

Micky, in that entrance test question, nobody who gets to the sentence "Estimate January's units for Year 6?" and doesn't go "WTF?" would have the basic logic to call themselves an engineer. The question has no relation to engineering or safety - it is a test of simple reading comprehension and commonsense.

Scientifically I could estimate A assuming the obvious linear relationship. Or it might be B as winter produces less yield.

No you couldn't. There is no "obvious linear relationship". There is zero information about any other month apart from commonsense, which says that wheat is not harvested in January. Winter does not produce less yield, it produces no yield.

Your response to that question is a perfect illustration of why engineers should be let nowhere near anything concerning natural sciences and why they have nothing to add to the debate about climate science. Quite apart from your "can't do" attitude - quite remarkable really as engineers despite having no understanding of the natural world are usually practical people who will make the best of a situation. My uncle, who also worked at RR, would have whipped out his slide rule (metaphorically speaking) and worked out a best estimate of warming using the available data while pointing out the limitations of the data and giving the likely error margins. Exactly what the big indices do. He would have been shocked to hear an "engineer" saying in effect, the data isn't perfect so I can't do anything.

May 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff

When you're done being an idiot, what I left out was that's it was cumulative amount. But I'm sure others read that. The point of the exercise was that for safety critical requirements we have to be careful we don't assume more than what is there.

Also I'm a physicist as well by the way so I am trained in the natural sciences. The big indices are quoted to accuracies like 0.1 degrees by using models and assumptions. As I've said before I have no problem with that scientifically. The problem is when they are used for real world actions and all we have are assumptions and models. It doesn't seem solid enough for taking definitive action. In fact taking any action but trying to get more clarity.
A lot of people have on the sceptical side (and who comment here) appear to have the same idea: that there don't seem to be a lot of measurements and characterisation backing AGW up. Global indices appear to keep changing and being re adjusted. Interesting that. Why does a measurement taken diligently in 1930 need readjusted every year or so?

So maybe we take what's being said with a pinch of salt. Or maybe we get a bit worried when someone says an African city can't get coal plants because of the "future" harm from Co2. That's a very real effect.

Why do you think I have a "can't do attitude"? What I'm saying is just what you're uncle would do. Use a bigger tolerance for what you don't know, and acknowledge it allows for more alternative ideas rather than than the one you are convinced is the ONLY answer.

And I never said the data was perfect either. So stop trying to polarise the discussion to try and win some points. If you want to say we differ on things then we differ.

If you don't agree then just say "Micky I don't really agree".

May 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM | Registered CommenterMicky H Corbett

It doesn't matter whether it was cumulative. When did you ever hear of a wheat harvest in a winter January?

If you want to "get more clarity", explain (as both EM and I have asked you to) how you would improve on the indices given that the historical data is not going to improve. If you can do that I'll reconsider whether yo have a "can't do" attitude, but from what you have said so far, your answer is, the data is bad, can't do it!

Measurements in 1930 changing? The GISS indices are calculated with reference to current anomalies and so all anomaly values of every month in their historical dataset change every month. Although this confuses various sceptics who are looking for villainy, it is not some nefarious process but the result of the reference used. It make no practical difference and is clearly documented somewhere or other.

On African power plants, perhaps you can comment on how to pay for them (since the Africans can't and the private market won't) at http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2015/5/20/the-inhumanity-of-the-true-green-believer.html?lastPage=true

If the indices were perfect we wouldn't need half a dozen of them. Everyone knows they are imperfect tools and if they were all we had to go on, you would be right. But they don't exist within a vacuum. There's all sorts of other data that points to warming with the indices as just another tool for trying to quantify by how much.

May 24, 2015 at 10:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff you say May 24, 2015 at 10:36 PM

The GISS indices are calculated with reference to current anomalies and so all anomaly values of every month in their historical dataset change every month. .... It make no practical difference and is clearly documented somewhere or other.

Raff, like everybody else you do not properly understand the data. Neither do I, but I would suggest that a fuller understanding needs to take into account:-
1. Temperature data is of poor quality, with various measurement biases and spatially the spread is highly uneven.
2. These problems are greater the further back in time you go, particularly prior to 1950.
3. Temperature homogenisation (to smooth out local variations and measurement biases) is done by comparing data by an iterative process. That is by a series of approximations.
4. Rates of temperature change vary greatly across the globe. Have a look at the NASA GISS maps. The default setting comparing April 2015 with the April average for 1951-1980 shows an average increase of 0.69. But in Northern Siberia temperatures have risen by over 4 degrees, whilst in Central Australia, Eastern Antarctica and Eastern India they have fallen.
Combining these factors can lead to errors in the adjustment process. One example is that the map shows 2-4 degrees of warming in Central South America. This was due to errors in the homgenisation process in Paraguay, where sudden cooling at the end of the 1960s was adjusted to net warming, due to this being different from the surrounding areas.
Another example is in the Gistemp temperature anomaly for 64S-90S - basically Antarctica. This shows a rapid cooling trend for the period 1880-1930. There was no temperature data being collected at all until the 1950s. The proxy data used appears to be from Base Orcadas despite in recent decades the temperature trends being out of line with Antarctica.
In general, any attempt at temperature anomalies will create errors. We can only become partly aware of these errors by exploring and modelling. The first thing to realize is the data deficiencies alongside the extremely complex patterns of temperature trends. Supporters of Climate Science, like yourself, will fight against such as understanding for the simple reason it undermines the subject. From Wikipedia
Climatology or climate science is the study of climate, scientifically defined as weather conditions averaged over a period of time.

When one recognizes the disparity in temperature trends along with the data issues, it is very difficult to see how an average can have any scientific meaning except in the vaguest terms. But because the variations and data issues are not recognized, the figures are pretty much meaningless.

May 25, 2015 at 1:00 AM | Unregistered CommenterKevin Marshall

Micky H Corbett

I rather think you have missed the point of statistics.

What engineers often fail to understand is that uncertainty is not a two-value variable. Your previous statements indicate that you see a world in which you can measure to high accuracy or not at all.

Global temperature measurements are harder than measuring the oil temperature of a Trent because you have to take multiple measurements of a large and variable system, instead of a single spot measurement.

Statistics such as 95% confidence limits define the size AND THE LIMITS of that uncertainty.

To a biologist such as myself, or to a climatologist, some uncertainty is a fact of life. The key is that the uncertainty in your data is smaller than the trend or difference you wish to study.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding past climates, the planet tends to settle into four default equilibrium states.

Houthouse Earth is 5C warmer than the present. Sea levels may be 20M higher. CO2 is above 400ppm. There is little ice, even near the poles.

Interstadials/interglacial are warm intermissions in a glacial period. Temperatures and sea levels stabilise around current levels. CO2 is around 280ppm. Ice at high latitudes.

Glacial periods are 5C cooler than today, with sea levels much lower and CO2 levels around 200mppm. Extensive glaciation to mid latitudes.

Snowball Earths with very low CO2, temperatures 10C below today's and extensive glaciation and sea ice to low latitudes.

Note the correlation and feedback link between CO2 and temperature. You find this link breaking down during transition periods, but not at equilibrium.

May 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

EM, Raff, your arguments seem to amount to little more than how we would get a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. The basic answer is ‘you can’t’, it will always be a sow’s ear. The first step is to admit the poor nature of what you’re working with. That doesn’t mean you bin what you’ve got but you keep in mind its quality.

Raff writes “and is clearly documented somewhere or other.” So is it clear or is it ‘somewhere’ because part of the process of clarity is knowing where the documentation is and that it wasn’t thrown out 20 years ago or actually never existed in a coherent fashion. So the reasons for any adjustments should be observable and testable. However, I suspect that many of the adjustments are actually algorithms, designed to change large portions of data at once. So when the algorithm changes, a ripple spreads through parts of the data. Is that suitable? It certainly doesn’t spot flaws a human eye might catch. eg in some very cold stations a big minus temperature sometimes loses its minus sign (various reasons). The colder the original temperature the more impact it has on the monthly total. That kind of error cannot be detected automatically and at least a couple of years ago they still existed despite repeated reports of the errors. The automatic systems also make adjustments when local Met Offices swear no such changes need to be made (see Iceland). Both WUWT and Not A Lot Of People Know That have had posts about that kind of error.

Continual changes to the data also partly invalidates research papers built upon them. Since it’s not practice to file data with papers, what happens when the data they were based on changes? What base line should proxies be compared with? Each version of the data should be kept as an accessible archive and papers should either include their own data or reference an official copy.

So after they’ve justified any changes and made the documentation and data freely available, there needs to be auditing. That’s a paid, professional body with the duty to look for flaws in the official data and theory. They need to have powers to demand what they need to validate or invalidate the science that is used for the official position. Their findings also need to be made public and there should be sanctions for those scientists/institutions that don’t comply. The least of those punishments is that the science under question is dropped from official use, as would any subsequent work that relies on it. Intellectual property rights should not be an excuse where a person is claiming the world in imperilled.

Those are the sorts of things that need to be done to turn climate science into a professional product. Or not. If you or anyone else doesn’t want climate change to be taken seriously then carry on as you are. You keep demanding we justify our scepticism as if you lose sight of the fact that YOU need to convince US. And by us, I mean everyone who isn’t signing that blank cheque you want for action on AGW.

May 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

TinyCO2

"YOU need to convince US. "

Actually we don't.

Dung is right. The policy debate has moved on and left you stranded in backwaters like BH. Your opinions are no longer relevant.

May 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

Dung is right. The policy debate has moved on and left you stranded in backwaters like BH. Your opinions are no longer relevant.
May 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

lol
It's very kind of you to take the trouble visit us so often in our splendid isolation.

May 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

game set, and match michael hart.

EM, an isolation that explains why CO2 is falling so fast and the public is so enthusiastic... oh hang on, those things aren't happening, are they? The debate hasn't moved on, it just died a natural death. As I've written before, sceptics are just a symptom, the visible tip of a very big iceberg. The public and even most politicians are not buying what you're selling. It doesn't even matter if governments sign on the dotted line in Paris, those people will be making promises nobody has any intention of keeping or even the ability.

May 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

EM

You are totally wrong!
The debate about what governments should do has become detached from the debate about the reasons/justification for such actions.
You are on BH debating the reasons and justification for climate action, NOT what actions should be taken. If you debate with BH then you need to convince BH.

May 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Kevin, "Have a look at the NASA GISS maps." ...

One example is that the map shows 2-4 degrees of warming in Central South America. This was due to errors in the homgenisation process in Paraguay, where sudden cooling at the end of the 1960s was adjusted to net warming, due to this being different from the surrounding areas.

That doesn't make sense. The map shows April this year being much hotter than the baseline period 1951-80. But if Paraguay was adjusted UP in the 1960s as you say, that would have raised the baseline and decreased the anomaly for this April. In other words, without the adjustment the anomaly would be even greater, the very opposite of what you are complaining.

A lot of temperature data from the early 20th century is bad, so why not discard that data. Start from 1950, or 1970. Is the message you get from the indices more comforting?

Tiny, the way the indices are created is well documented. But I would be surprised if 1 in a 100 of you has ever read all the various FAQs and amazed if 1 in 1000 (if there are 1000) has read the scientific papers on which the methods are based or those testing and analysing the method and results. The FAQ here say why historic anomalies can change (search for "the algorithm seeks"): http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/v3/GHCNM-v3.2.0-FAQ.pdf There are other descriptions of this. Look for them yourself. But beware; if you understand the hows and whys, that blunts your ability to condemn.

Dung, "convince BH"? I doubt that is possible. Any fool can see that adding TEL to fuel is folly whether you can measure the health effects directly or not. Those here who defend it nevertheless are beyond logical persuasion. And for example MartinA, whose 2 best arguments in favour of Salby are demonstrably deficient will still be rooting for the ex-prof. Some might learn that they are wrong, and will quietly slink away. Or occasionally openly, such as BBD. So BH might bleed support and wither but it will never be convinced.

May 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff

BH are always willing to engage in factual debate (there has been no talk of banning you or removing your posts which happens when we visit Real Climate ^.^) about climate change, I did try to explain earlier that we do not all agree and so it would be interesting if you joined in. If you really are interested in open debate then I will bring Rhoda's request for evidence (for CAGW) to the top of the discussion board; just say the word.

May 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM | Registered CommenterDung

EM: hmmm... you misunderstand me. I did not want you to point me to an “explanation”, but was rather hoping that someone else reading this might do so. However, your link, while filled with impressive-looking formulae and complex words, and lots and lots of sub-links, does little to explain the idea. Sorry, but I maintain my scepticism that measurement errors can be averaged to near-zero.

Dung:

… unusually high levels of CO2…
Can you be sure that today’s levels of CO2 are not unusually low? Actually, if you look at the records, this would appear to be the case. Perhaps we should be grateful that CO2 levels are rising to more reasonable levels.

May 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR

?? I posted that today's levels of atmospheric CO2 ARE unusually low without being in a glacial period, in addition average global temperature are as low as it has ever been without being in a glacial period.
I totally agree that we should be grateful that CO2 levels are rising ^.^

May 25, 2015 at 4:42 PM | Registered CommenterDung

TinyCO2 you're right they use a piece of software that adjusts temperature on the basis of perceived/known changes to the past thermometers. It looks dodgy to me, and I'm not more persuaded that these changes are necessary as Raff said, I'm less. I am led to believe that when the software makes the past temperatures show more warming they go through on the nod, while if they challenge the mainstream consensus they get adjusted manually. I don't accuse the scientists of anything other than confirmation bias. They admit that the unadjusted data shows little warming, and that they don't understand why the 1930s to 1960s data needs adjusting but remain incurious about it - again through confirmation bias I suspect. I can think of no good reason for adjusting - up or down - readings taken 70 years ago, and frankly I suspect that if the NCDC people wanted to show cooling they could equally put a snazzy little piece of software in that would warm all of the readings between 1930 and 1960 - and have equally nebulous explanations for why the readings were adjusted up.

"In brief, the global average land surface air temperature trends are higher in the adjusted data than in the unadjusted data and higher in v3.2.0 than in v3.1.0."

Why are there more cold (negative) step changes than warm (positive) step changes in the historical land surface air temperature records represented in the GHCN v3 dataset?

The reason for the larger number of cold step changes is not completely clear, but they may be due in part to systematic changes in station locations from city centers to cooler airport locations that occurred in many parts of the world from the 1930s through the 1960s.

May 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM | Registered Commentergeronimo

"Regarding past climates, the planet tends to settle into four default equilibrium states."

Have you got a citation for that EM?

May 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM | Registered Commentergeronimo

Raff, what is it exactly that you think the denizens of this blog will never be convinced of? I'm not sure what point you and EM are trying to make, other than you both believe we're a bunch of obstinate thickos. What is it exactly that we have wrong? As far as I can tell we all believe the earth has warmed, we all believe that human activity must have made some sort of contribution to that warmth and we all agree that CO2 is a greenhouse gas that, all other things being equal increase atmospheric temperatures.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't believe that all other things can be equal in a system as complex as the Earth, and have been around long enough see and learn that taking just two variables in a complex chaotic system extrapolating their relationship into the future and making and believing predictions about the outcome is about as stupid as you can get. Even if by some incredible fluke the predictions were remotely true we won't be able to decarbonise sufficiently to avoid them - this assertion stems from what is known the "common sense" gene, which when looking at a complex problem takes into consideration as many as the confounding variables possible, in this case China and India and what they will do, the effects on society here where we already raising more environmental taxes than we spend on defence and education (not combined) and the inevitable political backlash as this gets worse as we throw more money into renewable subsidies. There are a lot more confounding variables likely to make our efforts to decarbonise futile, but I doubt you'll ever be convinced because you've got it into your head that CO2 causes temperature rises, temperature rises will be disastrous. God knows how, but you have.

May 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM | Registered Commentergeronimo

Radical Rodent

?? I posted that today's levels of atmospheric CO2 ARE unusually low without being in a glacial period, in addition average global temperature are as low as it has ever been without being in a glacial period.
I totally agree that we should be grateful that CO2 levels are rising ^.^

May 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM | Registered CommenterDung

geronimo

I am sure this will not rock your boat but please be aware that there is at least one thicko who does not believe that humans are responsible for ANY warming ^.^

May 25, 2015 at 6:25 PM | Registered CommenterDung

I actually do believe that human action is required to save the whole human race from wiping itself out but lets get it clear that the planet itself is not in danger. Please go here for a detailed explanation of why not :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4

May 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Michael hart, TinyCO2, Dung

I come here occasionally for three reasons.

1) There are still a couple of people here with whom I can have an enjoyable debate.

2) For the rest of you; like visiting the zoo, it entertaining to watch the monkeys in their cage. Fortunately the only audience would seem to be Raff and myself.

3) Perhaps an American urban myth would be illuminating. Once every hundred years God rolls back the smog to see if Los Angeles is still there. Then he restores the smog so he does not have to look at it.

Having confirmed that BH is still its old self I will wish you farewell.

May 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man