Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > We are wasting our time; all of it.

Martin, do you think everyone here is aware that much of what M says is web of deceit?
May 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff, another loaded question?

A loaded question is usually not really a question. It is a passive-aggressive action designed to look interested or helpful but is really designed to assert the agenda of the questioner. Thus, your answer is probably irrelative.

Loaded questions are a sign of someone that needs to win and needs you to lose.

Obviously, the questions are often not sincere questions. That is, they are not designed to elicit useful facts for a useful discussion. These so-called questions are really just statements, designed to push a view, to change the topic (often to avoid a difficult subject), to win, or to make someone else lose.

To make the discussion more challenging, the questioner is rarely aware of what they are doing. They believe that by framing the topic as a question they are having a dialogue, an open discussion, an exchange of views.

May 29, 2015 at 8:34 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Raff, what;s a web of deceit? And how can it be some fraction of what people say?

As far as Moncton goes I don't pay much attention to him because he's an obvious showman. I have little doubt that there are some things he says that are inaccurate or exaggerated but doubt very much that he's telling lies.

Same goes for Dame Slingo when she tells the world without a hint of irony that she doesn't believe the Met Office computers run hot, after them forecasting warming incorrectly for 13 straight quarters, to the extent that they abandoned quarterly forecasts. She wasn't lying, she really believes it.

Still waiting for some meat on the bone of your "problems". I just can't see any problems that wouldn't have appeared normally in the course of our weather events.

May 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM | Registered Commentergeronimo

Geronimo: do you net clouds and herd cats as well? Both have as great a chance of success as knitting fog when compared with getting a reasonable answer from Raff. You are unlikely to get an answer as I would moot that it would be impossible to name or quantify any problems associated with global warming in its present phase (i.e. not warming at all), anthropogenic or otherwise – even sea-level rise, at a claimed ~1-3mm per year is, in reality, not measurable. My own fear is of global cooling, which, I suspect, may have already begun; then, we shall find, any of the supposed greenhouse effects of CO2 will be much sought-after.

As for the “web of deceit”; like him or loathe him, Lord Monckton (whom I am assuming is meant by the mysterious “M” – my, how Bond-ish!) does present his evidence, and its sources, allowing those who wish to contend his ideas the opportunity of doing so. Similarly, though he might be considered a showman, he is prepared to listen to counter-arguments, and does not merely shout any opponents down. That said, it would be interesting to see what this "web of deceit" comprises of.

BTW, do not denigrate yourself; those who you consider much more intelligent than you may just be able to put up a greater show than you. Should you do yourself down in attempting to show humility, others may actually believe you, and you will have done yourself no favours, at all.

May 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR we can but try. I really would like to get down to a conversation about Raff's beliefs. As you're the second to comment on my saying others were more intelligent than me, perhaps I'll change it to "had more in-depth knowledge of the topic than me." Anyway the technique is the same, it's to get a common understanding of what the person you're dealing with actually is saying (in this case Raff has pointed to a 3000 page document and said, "It's in there." not uncommon BTW). I too doubt he'll tell us anything because I don't believe he knows exactly what he believes but has a whole bunch of "intelligent" people, who he looks up to, on his side. I would really like to know what these guys believe, all of them. I know Richard Betts thinks there will be "problems" and has recently started to say they might not be as bad as forecast, or words to that extent. But that's vague too. What problems?

May 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM | Registered Commentergeronimo

geronimo

You have to accept the possibility (in my estimation; the certainty) that Raff is here only to disrupt, not to exchange views or to discuss. If that turns out to be the case then you are wasting your time, being a reasonable guy you are still giving him the benefit of the doubt but you have to draw a line at some point ^.^
Sadly I also agree with RR; what really worries me is the possibility of cooling.

May 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Geronimo, it is simple really. We are raising CO2 levels. CO2 is a greenhouse gas and so temps will rise. This might be benign. Or it might not. We should be worried because we don't know which of the two it might be and by the time we find out it will be too late to change.

Dung, any sign of cooling yet?

Martin, yes I like to load em up. But as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think. Or something like that. I try to get people to consider where they really stand but I get the impresion they are happy being surrounded by liars and dissimulators like M or Salby or many others. Dung is unmoved by the clear fact that M is lying on so many questions, preferring to play with words instead. You seem unable to drop the idea that Salby might be right despite it being clear (to many anyway) that he is unaware of the literature on what he discusses (ice cores for example), that much of what he says is not new and that he presents his stuff (often to people unable to comprehend) in a way that seems designed to mislead.

May 29, 2015 at 3:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

CO2 is a greenhouse gas and so temps will rise.

You're wrong, and this single line exemplifies your error.
Ask any climate scientist, and perhaps ask for an explanation of why you are wrong.

If there is any mathematical linear relationship between these two I have yet to see it,
and there would be no climate debate if there was one. The fact that there isn't is why
you are desperately trying to convince us it is true all the same.

Prove me wrong, Raff. Show me it.

Possible responses from trolls;

1. Ignore the question
2. Go for the ad-hom and ignore the question
3. Appeal to authority and ignore the question
4. Point to a weighty tome and claim the answer is in there if only I would read it
5. Blame a supra-national conspiracy which is out to do us all in
6. Some other troll-like response

May 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Just google solar minimum Raff.
I was not playing with words Raff, you are just too stupid to understand the point; have a nice day.

May 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Big Yin, I've not looked carefully at pdfs plotting probability against temperature rise, but I'm sure you are right that they do go down to zero and -ve warming - with correspondingly tiny probabilities. If you are seeking to occupy that sliver of ground from zero leftwards (-ve) then I wish you fun in your improbable playground. You could invite Dung and Martin around to play, a sort of cosy Ménage à trois, cosy because the probabilities are so frigging small. The rest of us can occupy the spacious territory to the right of zero, where rising CO2 results in rising temperatures, although as there are so damn many of us it is also cosy. And we don't even have to ask Miss Linearity to join us (or is it Mrs, in her mathematical relationship) - the lovely dear can look after herself, un-sought and un-bidden by me.

Dung, any actual sign of cooling yet?

BTW Dung, I came across a lovely paean to you on these blessed pages:

You have a long track record here of misunderstanding what you read, and almost wilfully seeing the opposite meaning from what was intended.
Beautifully put, I think.

May 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Much as the plateau in temperatures was successfully ignored for 10 years, artfully hidden for a few more, then bumblingly “explained” for yet more before being accepted (by most), so will any cooling of the Earth – no matter how dramatic – be dismissed as “weather” for another 15 years – or until the Thames is a glacier, whichever comes sooner.

The “probabilities” were strongly for constantly rising temperatures, in line with increasing CO2; reality has proven to be a little different. All the evidence suggests that all climate models are completely wrong, yet people still cleave to them as in a religious fervour.

May 30, 2015 at 9:11 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

"Geronimo, it is simple really.

"We are raising CO2 levels. CO2 is a greenhouse gas and so temps will rise."

Apart from the last 20 years of the 20th century when there was a correlation between increasing CO2 and temperature there has been no empirical evidence of a relationship between CO2 in the atmosphere and temperature. In fact CO2 has risen dramatically without any increase in temperature over the last 18 years. There is no empirical evidence whatsoever to indicate CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere will cause temperatures to rise. There is empirical evidence of temperatures rising without an increase in CO2 and empirical evidence of temperatures staying stable with an increase in CO2 so how the scientific community and their camp followers in the alarmist industry have become certain that increasing CO2 will definitely increase temperatures is a mystery to me.

We are told that if the temperatures rise by 1C through a doubling of CO2 in the atmosphere the (unknown) feedbacks will cause the temperature to rise by between 1.5C and 4.5C, but I don't know of any evidence in the paleo records where a rise in 1C has been followed by a rise in temperature of between 1.5C - 4.5C. Do you?

"This might be benign. Or it might not. We should be worried because we don't know which of the two it might be and by the time we find out it will be too late to change."

Do you know what you could right a book about that sentence. First of all you admit we have no clue what a warmer world would look like, but you clearly believe it won't, or might not be benign, so the solution is what? Stop burning fossil fuels?
Is that a practical solution? Are going to persuade the big emitters of CO2 the developing nations to stop using fossil fuels without a cheap reliable alternative? That seems to be highly improbable to me.

The problem with the Malthusian approach to climate - i.e. taking two variables, implying a relationship between them and predicting what would happen in the future from that relationship - is that there are other confounding variables around that you have to take into consideration, many of which would be beyond the imagination. As a for instance Malthus would not have taken onto account the telegraph and telephone and what effect they'd have on getting food to the right places. He could not have foreseen the invention of the tractor, or the extended railway networks, or industrial fertilisers or the multiple other inventions and changes to society that enable us, just 200 years later to produce food enough for 7 billion people.

So we don't know what the future will hold. We don't know and can't conceive of what changes will take place in society and technology. But we do know that there will be changes. Meanwhile there are very real problems that need solving today, with people dying of hunger in a world awash with food, people cooking indoors with open fires, infant mortality, vitamin A disease, malaria etc. etc and these problems will not be solved with windmills and solar panels they need fossil fuels, not just for cooking, but for the transport links that are required to get the food to the right places, the cement to build schools and homes. These are real problems easily identified, while your problems don't even exist, except in your mind, and even then you can't say what they actually are.

Thanks for answering Raff.

May 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Raff

I assume that you didn't google 'solar minimum'?

You obviously didn't do enough research on BYJ hurling abuse at me since he said much worse than saying I wilfully misunderstand things you could also have said ignorant, racist and bigoted idiot but he is allowed to call me those things when its the wrong time of the month ^.^

May 30, 2015 at 11:04 AM | Registered CommenterDung

The failure of global temperature to increase with increased CO2, as predicted by climate modelers, is evidence of a cooling trend.
(See Vicky Pope's prediction of a 0.3 K increase between 2004 and 2014.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyDmdcPw7Uw
All it would take is for that cooling trend (whatever the cause) to increase significantly to result in actual lower global temperatures.

May 30, 2015 at 12:20 PM | Unregistered Commenterrotationalfinestructure

INDICATIONS that the Earth may cool:

Solar cycles are mimicking conditions that accompanied the Maunder Minimum of the Little Ice Age.
The Inter glacial Warm Period in which we live is well overdue to end.

INDICATIONS that the Earth will warm catastrophically

Computer models

May 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterDung

Geronimo,

I don't know of any evidence in the paleo records where a rise in 1C has been followed by a rise in temperature of between 1.5C - 4.5C. Do you?

How would you know? It is not as if the rise and the feedback occur in two distinct steps, is it? Or maybe you think it is.

"This might be benign. Or it might not. We should be worried because we don't know which of the two it might be and by the time we find out it will be too late to change."

Do you know what you could right a book about that sentence. First of all you admit we have no clue what a warmer world would look like, but you clearly believe it won't, or might not be benign...

Well it is the crux of the issue, isn't it? What is the climate sensitivity to CO2? Is it zero or negaitive as the Big Yin and maybe others here think. Or is it positive as almost everyone else thinks? All pdfs I've seen show a risk that sensitivity is high - is it sensible just to ignore that and hope that it is low?

...so the solution is what? Stop burning fossil fuels?

And that is the crux of the policy response, not the science. Don't conflate the two. It is irrelevant in any discussion of the science and and the risks and doesn't influence whether the science is correct or not.

Dung I'm familiar with solar cycles. What is your point? That you can now forcast solar activity?

Rotational..., you think failure to go up is evidence of a downward trend. WTF?

May 30, 2015 at 10:23 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

If global warming was currently 0.3 K per decade as predicted by Vicky Pope amongst others, there would be a lower probability of actual cooling in the near future than with the current zero warming. Climate variability has been underestimated. (Do you have an alternative explanation for the failure to warm as predicted?)

Current energy policy should reflect the higher probability of global cooling than was plausible in the 1990s.
Current policy is to borrow, or to encourage borrowing through low interest rates, and feed-in-tariffs and renewable obligations, to "invest" in unreliable "renewable" energy projects. A more rational energy policy is required to avoid future hardship.

May 31, 2015 at 5:46 AM | Unregistered Commenterrotationalfinestructure

If climate sensitivity is + 0.5 K per doubling of CO2, it would take four doublings, i.e. a 16x increase, to cause an increase of 2 K.
16x pre-industrial CO2 (approx. 250 ppm) is 3000 ppm. Obviously there's a long way to go from the current 400 ppm.

May 31, 2015 at 5:52 AM | Unregistered Commenterrotationalfinestructure

I don't know of any evidence in the paleo records where a rise in 1C has been followed by a rise in temperature of between 1.5C - 4.5C. Do you?

How would you know? It is not as if the rise and the feedback occur in two distinct steps, is it? Or maybe you think it is.

May 31, 2015 at 7:34 AM | Registered Commentergeronimo

"Well it is the crux of the issue, isn't it? What is the climate sensitivity to CO2? Is it zero or negaitive as the Big Yin and maybe others here think. Or is it positive as almost everyone else thinks? All pdfs I've seen show a risk that sensitivity is high - is it sensible just to ignore that and hope that it is low?"

Actually that's not the "crux of the issue" the crux of the issue is what effects the increased temperatures will have. According to the "scientists" ( in inverted commas because they're claiming to be able to foretell the future state of a coupled non-linear chaotic system) it will be uniformly bad. How do they know that?

I have to say that you keep banging on about the PDFs as though they were tablets of stone. They're not they are probability density functions massively flawed - for instance the long tails are a result in having little clue about the effects of aerosols - they are merely the best guesses. However, as scientists have become more skilled at producing the - still flawed - PDFs the TCR and ECS have come steadily down to between 1C and 2C, which is why AR5 re-introduced the lower estimate of 1.5C and didn't make a "best guess" at the likely ECS of 3C that was in AR4. So don't bet the ranch on the PDFs being anything other than the outcome of looking at birds' entrails.

"And that is the crux of the policy response, not the science. Don't conflate the two. It is irrelevant in any discussion of the science and and the risks and doesn't influence whether the science is correct or not."

Unlike Gerald Ford, who was cruelly described by Lyndon Johnson as unable to "fart and chew gum at the same time" I'm quite capable of talking about the science and the policies without mixing them up.

I've hit two cruxes, not bad. I'm not sure I said it was relevant to the science, in fact it is the IPCC that said we have to reduce fossil fuel emissions.

AR5 SPM

"Substantial cuts in GHG emissions over the next few decades can substantially reduce risks of climate change by limiting warming in the second half of the 21st century and beyond."

I'd think that was a good idea except, (a) there are no affordable alternatives for fossil fuels and (b) the main fossil fuel emitters aren't going to stop emissions this side of 2050, if at all.

"Showing leadership" is green-speak for doing something that the rest of the world won't do because it's stupid. I don't buy that the BRICS will reduce their fossil fuel emissions because we do. And I don't buy "green job" and high energy prices will help us, or anyone else. So the political issue is ultimately bound by the science, and the science is dodgy.

So I'll ask you Raff, do you seriously believe our cutting CO2 emissions (and the West paying $100Bn a year to developing countries) is in the best interests of the people of the UK when it's not clear it will warm, and if it does it's not clear it's going to be a bad thing?

May 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo

Your questions are far too good for Raff, he will duck and dive and change the subject as per usual. As evidence I quote my questions to Raff about Solar cycles: answer - "Dung I'm familiar with solar cycles. What is your point? That you can now forcast solar activity? see? I patiently explained the point when I asked the question, total waste of time.

May 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM | Registered CommenterDung

It is quite remarkable what huge leaps of logic can be created from such small amounts of evidence – “I don’t know…” (Geronimo) / “How would you know?” (Raff). Well, as the first part sort of pre-answers the following question, one has to wonder what logic is at work in the one asking the question. Similarly, for some reason, an observation that temperatures have stopped rising is a claim that temperatures are falling. No – read what actually was written, not what you think was written. This is the problem with climate “scientists”: they seem unable to see the actual data, only what they think the data should be. Should there be a fall in temperatures, these will be dismissed for many, many years as “weather”, while any unseasonably warm days will continue to be claimed as more “proof” of AGW/ACC. How far south permafrost will have to extend before there is any recognition of a fall, hopefully, we will never find out. Mind you, this is one reason why “Global Warming” has morphed into “Climate Change”, so allowing “Global Cooling” to become the new scare (as has happened before), should it become incontrovertibly evident. Of course, there will still be many who cling to the mantra who will be unable to acknowledge that there might have been something in scepticism; they will be in continual denial that it could be anything other than the fault of man-made CO2.

There have been no adverse effects of the warming we have had since the Little Ice Age; all the evidence points to any continuance of warming at the rate we have enjoyed (or should that be endured?) will continue to be of benefit, yet there remain many stuck in the rut of doom and gloom – “Surely,” they cry, “any change can only bring disaster!” Or, even sadder: “What if the temperature rise gets greater? What if the rise exceeds any rate that has ever occurred in history? Then you’ll be sorry! You must all act now!” (In some unspecified way, that seems to exclude them from having to act as examples of the "correct" way.) All this completely ignores the ingenuity of humans to adapt and change. Look at the disaster that has befallen us, so far, with using fossil fuels: longer, healthier, happier lives; safer, easier travel; better defences against calamities… the list could well be endless. However, much as we in the “west” are enjoying these boons, there are those who either feel that there is a price to pay, or have become riddled with guilt when seeing others not being as fortunate. Those fearing the price want to prevent the less-advantaged from enjoying the boon (let them eat the cake of “renewables” “unreliables” rather than the bread of trusty coal); those who feel the guilt wish to reduce us all (except themselves, in all probability) to the present level of those who desperately want to join in the beneficence that fossil fuels can provide.

The simple facts are that we have enjoyed the greatest growth in prosperity, and all the benefits that brings, than at any other time in history; while CO2 has risen steadily for nearly 200 years, fossil-fuel use has risen exponentially; while fears of fossil-fuel depletion have long existed, there continues to be discovery of more and more of this precious resource. Let us continue to enjoy the riches that we have created; let us extend these riches to all those we share this planet with; let us continue to explore the alternatives that may be available so that we may continue our progress even should present resources fail.

May 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Geronimo, was your 7:34 a mistake or did it have some purpose?

It is difficult to judge the effect of temp rises and that is compounded if their magnitude can't be quantified. So I'd say the latter is more important. But I can see it your way too. I don't recognize the suggestion that scientists think "it will be uniformly bad". That is not how science works and there are variations in opinion.

My "banging on about pdfs" is because that is what is important as there is still great uncertainty about sensitivity. The science gives ranges of possible outcomes corresponding to the diversity of pdfs. It is of course possible to hang ones hat on a particular narrow domain, as the Big Yin does with 0 warming or less. Maybe you do the same but with a different range. But that is just picking an outcome that suits your particular tastes rather than accepting that the outcome might be good or might be bad. It is just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

Yes you can talk about science and policy together but the science has to drive policy, not the opposite. The range and probabilities of possible outcomes don't change just because cutting carbon would be difficult.

... do you seriously believe our cutting CO2 emissions (and the West paying $100Bn a year to developing countries) is in the best interests of the people of the UK when it's not clear it will warm, and if it does it's not clear it's going to be a bad thing?

Yes because I am not prepared, unlike you it seems, to pick from the range of possibilities those that are least threatening on the basis of, well let's just hope for the best, eh? And $100Bn is a small amount set against the $40Tn GDP of advanced economies. It is in our interest to improve the prospects of all developing countries.

Dung, did you patiently exaplain a point? I thouht you just said to Google for "solar minimum".

Radical, is that the Sunday Sermon?

May 31, 2015 at 8:19 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Raff,
Bullshit on you.
There is no, none, zero, zip evidence you can offer that the money grab you support will do a thing to prevent the problem you claim to believe is inevitable if we don't agree with you.
You are, not to put to fine a point on it, full of crap.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:25 AM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Raff: thank you for proving my point about you so concisely. You are not capable of engaging in polite, rational debate, partly being unable to offer any evidence to support your argument, but also because you cannot resist the oh-so-clever snidey put-down.

Have you read my “Sunday sermon”? Somehow, I doubt it. The reason why I wrote so much was that you seem incapable of reading shorter comments without twisting them out of all recognition; hence, the longer answer, in a vain attempt to cover all bases. I knew it would be a forlorn attempt with to reach you, however, it does help expose your utter imbecility to everyone else. Hopefully, it should make many realise that attempting to debate with you is a true waste of time.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:07 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Raff, thanks for your response, you are clearly disturbed and concerned, but if I may, could I put to you the following.

1. The scientists you are putting your faith in can't tell us what next Thursday's weather will be like and they can see it coming on satellites. They can't possibly forecast the future state of the climate, so the PDFs are nonsense based on umbongo witchcraft. The latest paper on heat retention that I know of is Otto et al in which the say.

"Observations of the energy budget alone do not rule out an ECS value below 2 °C, but they do rule out an ECS below 1.2 °C with 95% confidence."

It is, to me at least, inconceivable that a range of 1.5C - 4.5C for ECS literally plucked out of thin air in 1979 hasn't change after 36 years of money being thrown at climate science. That is clear clear evidence that they didn't have a clue what the ECS is going to be and still don't. Although there is currently a process of trying to lower ECS without having to lose face. In science you generally don't lose face if you're wrong because it's the nature of science that theories are produced and tested and there's no shame in being wrong. However once science becomes a political tool there are other things to take into consideration. One of them would be that the whole climate policy for the industrialised world is based not the reckless claim that the "likely" ECS was 3C. So there's a general tip-toeing around of the falling ECS, and rightly so, because this is science and without a lot more empirical evidence they cannot be certain. Which, of course, begs the question of why they were so certain it was 3C without empirical evidence.

2. But even if it is 3C and the climate warms there is not a single scintilla of proof that the forecasts of doom and disaster will occur - no one knows what the outcome will be. And although this information comes from a group of people with an almost peerless record of failed predictions from computer models you choose to believe them. Also the IMF has done a study to show that if we carry on with the current business as usual emissions people worldwide will be 10 to 70 times better off.

Have you read the AR5 Synthesis SPM. Not one single benefit will accrue from a warming world according to the IPCC. You can tell you're being rooked when there are no ups (or downs) to the story you're being told.

We're already seeing the benefits of CO2 in the increased greening of the planet. Every year the extra heat, precipitation and CO2 has given us bumper crops of wheat and corn (40% gets converted to bio-fuels, simultaneously putting up the price of corn and depriving the world's poof of access to this food, but who in the environmental and alarmist movements gives a FF for the poor and needy?).

3. And on top of that you know that the solution based on reductions of fossil fuels won't solve the problem because the developing world has already told us that they're not going to stop using fossil fuels. Do you not think there is more possibility of developing a new technology that doesn't emit CO2 than there is of banning it?

4. In summary:-

You believe, but don't know, that we will warm to 3C or more.

You believe, but don't know for certain, that there will be catastrophes caused by the increasing temperature.

You believe, but know for certain, we won't stop accelerating CO2 emissions

You believe and know for certain that BH denizens are a bunch of crackpot conspiracy theorists.

Time to stop now I think I'm dealing with religion not science.

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:32 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo