Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Understanding the role of CO2

That is an 0.003% increase, which is like adding an area of skin the size of a finger nail to your body - and you think that is going to make a difference.

Watch where you're aiming that gun, raff!

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Raff, without wishing to appear rude – shut up.

Look at one simple fact: CO2 concentrations continue to rise; temperatures do not. Can you not see the disconnect between the two?

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

As I saw somewhere "If you can't explain the pause, you can't explain the cause".

[THE HOCKEY SCHTICK - thank you Google.]

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM | Unregistered Commentersplitpin

Shut up? If people stopped making silly statements, like claiming scientists don't take changes in effective radiating area into account, or claiming that CO2 is such a small part of the atmosphere, then I would gladly shut up. But you just don't stop, do you? I imagine there might be people here who know better and I often wonder why they don't put people like you down. But I guess playing whack-a-mole against your own side gets them down after a while. Or maybe they just consider you to be useful foot soldiers in that you will spread such nonsense widely and confuse the uninitiated - and confusion is as good as it need get when you are trying to sow FUD.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

I'm very sad with this thread. And not with Raff this time.

I'm sad because the group as a whole seems to have lapsed back to "yeh this GHE, phooey, trace gas" argument that typified it a few years ago. Every time someone says that here, the credibility of scientific scepticism takes a bodyblow. Again. What is saddening is that we've collectively put it to bed several times, but some of you seem so attached to the mythos, that it comes back again like a dose of shingles.

CO2 is only a 'trace' but it contributes 20-30% of the GHE. This is a measurement, not a model. You can do the experiment yourself if you have a mind. As soon as you says "ok, that might be true but what if..." then you're veering into the ga-ga territory that our critics love - the area of loonidom.

Can't you see that it's the crackpot nature of a large part of climate scepticism that is holding back mainstream science from retreating to a position of realism? Some of them would rather be utterly wrong than admit defeat to the lunatics. They like it when we act stupid, because it allows them to demonise us as a whole - including the section of scepticism that actually as a freaking point.

Tidy up your act, or this thing will roll on for years. (or maybe you want that?)

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

You may well have a point, there, TBYJ. However, you have not, nor anyone else, even attempted to address the points of my personal suspicions about the claims for CO2, particularly the last point: CO2 levels are rising, temperatures are not.

Also, we might disagree on scientific points, but why should that weaken the scientific questioning of AGW? Surely, the basic point of science is not agreement, but constant challenging. I would hate it if we all suddenly started agreeing with each other, and rounding on any who raises questions; that would make us no better than the warmistas. Einstein famously stated that it only required one fact to prove him wrong; why cannot that simple fact mentioned above raise the suspicion that you could be wrong?

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Radical. The 'proof' that because CO2 levels are rising but temperatures are not has always been intensely embarrassing to me when I hear it trotted out. Nobody except warmist fools have ever argued the relationship is lockstep linear. There is a phenomenon in feedbacks called hysteresis, where an effect with a linear relationship with a forcing can actually go backwards during the time of maximum or minimum forcing. It could be that the CO2 temperature relationship is linear with hysteresis. I'm not arguing that it is, but to argue that 15 years where they don't tally proves nothing either way. All it proves is the relationship, if there is one, is far more complex than some fools believe.

On the point of continuing scientific questioning. If we haven't covered an area before, then it is legitimate to present differing opinions. But people ... we have been over the GHE, the Stefan-Boltzamnn laws, IR emission spectra, DLR... over and over again. When people bring it up AGAIN, then it no longer becomes scientific questioning, but just laziness to read what has gone before.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Again, you may well be right, TBYJ. Maybe I am a bit stupid, but I have read much of what has been written before, and none of it has answered the questions I raised. I am aware of hysteresis (mainly with magnets), but do find it odd to linger for over 15 years, hence my questioning of there actually being a relationship.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

we have been over the GHE, the Stefan-Boltzamnn laws, IR emission spectra, DLR... over and over again.
... and never, TBYJ, yet come to a satisfactory answer, at least as far as RR and I are concerned.
It's all smoke and mirrors and it is much a "science is settled so stfu about it" as anything we hear from the warmists.
Yes, we know what CO2 does in theory, in a vacuum, in the lab, to a black body, ad nauseam, but mention the fact that the level of CO2 has been considerably higher in the past or that CO2 is a lagging indicator not a leading one, or that the earth is not a black body regardless of how convenient it might be to assume it "for simplicity's sake" or even that its greenhouse effect is non-existent above 200ppm and the abuse is comparable to a visit to SkepticalScience.
I am not a physicist and have never claimed to be one so I don't know but what I do know is that our knowledge of the subject is pretty much in its infancy if only because it's a subject that no-one had bothered to look at that closely before and the evidence for that hypothesis is the fact that there a couple of dozen hypotheses — at least — kicking around out there, most of which are total bollocks but we don't know which ones.
And don't tell me that "the scientists" know which ones because they don't. The just think they do. There are a couple of dozen theories from the last 100 years that were firmly set in concrete and ultimately proved wrong to the severe embarrassment of the scientific establishment who, it seems, have not yet learned the lesson.
Sorry, BigYin, but there is still not one shred of empirical evidence that elevated levels of CO2 have any meaningful effect on temperatures while there is evidence that elevated temperatures can affect CO2 levels. What we have seen of the relationship between CO2 and temperature during the period we have been able (and inclined!) to measure them accurately does not overall support a link between them. Prior to that we are in the hands of a politicised science with its own axe to grind (as the manipulation of datasets in Russia, Iceland, Australia, and New Zealand, and doubtless other countries as well, has more than amply demonstrated) with the result that any previous pattern must be highly suspect.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

and never, TBYJ, yet come to a satisfactory answer, at least as far as RR and I are concerned.

And therein lies the problem. You can't argue someone out of an opinion they weren't argued into.
There is no evidence that will convince some people, because they are not convinced by evidence.
If that is you and RR, then you fall into the camp of ideologically-driven doubter, AKA denier.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

TBYJ
To which of the statements I made above do you take exception.
Provide me, please, if you can, with the irrefutable evidence that CO2 has any material bearing on global temperature.
I am claiming that for a start the period over which we have been able to observe accurately CO2 concentration and global temperatures is too short by the best part of a mlllennium to draw the sort of hyper-confident conclusion that climate scientists claim.
Even over the 20th century the correlation has been patchy.
The timescale is vague. There is at least one web site out there that takes 1750 and a 280ppm concentration as its starting point and assumes a more or less steady increase from there, conveniently pooh-poohing as unreliable the inconvenient evidence of observations in the 19th century which suggest higher levels of CO2 then the consensus is prepared to accept.
I could go on.
I could also turn round your argument that you can't argue someone out of an opinion they weren't argued into. But you will no doubt tell me that you are right and I am wrong though still without providing evidence to support you. You may well be right but like Doubting Thomas I am not about take anyone's word for it without evidence.
I'm not sure what "ideology" you think is driving me but I have probably spent as much time over the last 20 years trying to get to the facts as any interested non-scientist could and nowhere in the course of that research have I found anything that even starts to convince me that global warming is anything to worry about.
And I will add that that research has included most of the warmist blogs every one of which only confirms my scepticism.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

And therein lies the rub, TheBigYinJames; it would appear that you have a great desire to lumber the likes of Mike Jackson and me with some sort of epithet, just because we are not certain about some aspects of the debate (and, I suspect, because the scientific mind likes things to be labelled and pigeon-holed). I can only speak for myself, but the only opinion I have on the validity of CO2 is the null hypothesis of, “Show me how it works.” (Perhaps with a little leaning towards, “Because I’m not sure that you can.” I will expand on that in the next paragraph.) No-one has yet done that; they have only used your tactics – “It is because it is, and if you doubt it, then you are a big, fat denier.” Not very helpful, to be honest.

The only person who has managed to throw a little light on the subject was to demonstrate that the GHE could well be a blind alley of a hypothesis, as, to my ignorant eyes, he quite comprehensively dismantled it. Yet, he is looked upon with scorn and derision. Maybe he is nothing but a charlatan, but the argument he presented was backed up by the data on which he based it, and the calculations as well. Most of the data and calculations are a little over my head, so I cannot comment on them, yet all I have heard about it is that it is bunkum, with not one shred of argument, let alone evidence, to explain quite why that should be so. Not a scientific philosophy, I would have thought.

I am not convinced by the evidence because evidence is required to convince me and there has been no evidence presented to convince me: “Because it does,” is NOT evidence. I know my opening post was long, and perhaps rather boring, but I do suspect that you have yet to read it, but doing do should help you understand my point

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

the group as a whole seems to have lapsed back to ... argument[s] that typified it a few years ago.

A few years? This has been going on for more than a decade. My assumption is that people get into climate when they are hit by a FUD spread by the ignoranti and their handlers. If they are clever they realise they are being fooled, but the ones who don't realise and get hooked spend the next few years re-spreading FUD until they either tire of it or realise how stupid it is. But by that time their FUD has spread to a new generation of ignoranti ready to carry on their work. There are also people here who have still not seen the light after years of spreading FUD, but they are probably motivated not by science but by ideology, which puts them beyond reach.

And we still have the likes of McI churning over the old ground of MBH98. Hardly credible in his case really.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM | Unregistered CommenterRaff

Provide me, please, if you can, with the irrefutable evidence that CO2 has any material bearing on global temperature.

I will when you provide me evidence that gravity is holding you to the surface of the earth.

The point is that you desire a level of evidence for the connection between CO2 and temperature that not only do we not have at the moment, but is probably unattainable under ANY circumstances. You are asking for a level of proof that cannot ever to provided, and your thesis is that we should reject the idea of any connection until that time.

Which is patently nonsense.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

I will when you provide me evidence that gravity is holding you to the surface of the earth.
Gravity is a hypothesis that still holds as there has been quite a lot of evidence to support it; there has been no hysteresis where things have drifted off. CO2 as the driving greenhouse gas has no such evidence – indeed, most of the evidence is contrary to that hypothesis. Mike Jackson (and myself) is not rejecting the idea of CO2, he is merely stating that there is not sufficient evidence for that idea to be so avidly clung to.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR, do you not for one moment consider that where there is evidence that convinces others but not you, that perhaps you are simply not understanding it? I'm not discounting the possibility hat perhaps you see something others don't but I very rarely am so sure of my ground that I assume I am the sole repository of sense when it comes to things.

I proved here a few years ago by looking at a simple night-time DLR graph that the GHE from CO2 was 20-30% of the entire effect. This is not fancy-pants models, speculation, or opinion. This was a simple measurement followed by squared paper and a pencil approach that nobody disputed at the time.

Here is the graph: DLR.

Work out the area under the curve (by printing on squared paper and counting squares if you want to keep it simple)
Work out the area under the section of the window entitled CO2.
Divide one by the other.
Answer: 25% or so.

This technique has the simple advantage of not worrying about concentrations and traces and being unconvinced about the effect etc. It's s simple look at a measured night-time spectrum and working out the proportion of longwave radiation which comes from CO2 molecules.

In what way does this not prove to you in a simple unequivocal way about the approximate magnitude of the effect of CO2 with regards to the entire GHE?

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Sorry, TBYJ, I've seen that graph before. I don't know what it means. And even if I did you would need to explain to me the rationale that explains how an increase of CO2 from 280ppm to 400ppm sets us on the road to catastrophe. Because that is the only thing that matters in this argument.
It isn't that I need proof equivalent to the existence of gravity which, as RR points out, is still technically a hypothesis which can be disproved even though it hasn't been yet, as far as I know. AGW is a hypothesis that is disproved by somebody or other almost daily whether they are challenging the effects of CO2 on temperature or positing that most of the "greenhouse effect" is due to atmospheric pressure or that cosmic rays play a more important part than the consensus is prepared to admit.
And I'm not saying that any of these alternative hypotheses are right but I am saying that the consensus is not prepared to address them just as (as I said in my earler post) the then consensus was not prepared to address tectonic plates or causes of gastric ulcers (to quote the most commonly mentioned) or even manned flight.
I don't need to remind you of the extent to which reputable scientists — Christy, Spencer, Lindzen, Morner and others — are routinely vilified for taking a view different from that of the consensus. If they (and others who mutter quietly about climatology but aren't prepared to stick their necks out) have reservations about the way the science is going and the way it has been conducted and the extent to which non-scientists have become involved in pushing a point of view which the science barely supports if it does at all then I hardly think it is unreasonable to challenge what the consensus claims is the one over-riding cause of something that may (or may not) happen some time soon (or later) and will be "the terrors of the earth" (or not, depending on who you listen to).
And all without explaining why this time round it just has to be CO2 because they can't get their PlayStations™ to come up with the right answer otherwise. Never mind that CO2 levels are known to have been 10 times the level they are now and our catastrophic warming hasn't happened yet.
Give us a break!

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Raff

Given that most palaeo "reconstructions" use Mann's methods and even rely on some of the same data, it is surely still relevant to try to understand the bad science involved in all of Mann's papers. In any case, I think it is a long time since Climate Audit focused on MBH98. In case you had not noticed, most of the recent Climate Audit posts have been concerned with demolishing PAGES2K - a recent piece of work, which seems to depend heavily on the Gergis paper that had to be withfdrawn because of the incompetence with which it was prepared and which has not been republished. And who spotted the errors on which it was based?

But here you are, still spreading your brand of FUD. You have displayed your ignorance of economics and of the political situation in the Ukraine, and you have tried a typical alarmist smear against the GWPF, presumably out of some sense of misguided zeal and determination to show that the only reasonable way forward is to be alarmist about the tuture behaviour of a climatic system that is not at all well understood nor measured. Please carry on Fudding. It is relatively amusing to see you flounder against facts.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

As Mike Jackson says, that graph means absolutely nothing to me, unless you could explain its context. I’m not too sure what “DLR” means, which could be a hindrance; “ADLR” I can understand, and “ALR” and “SALR”, as well as “ELR” – even “MLR”. The “LR” bit I assume means “Lapse Rate”, but the “D” throws me; so, what does “DLR” mean?

Please have some patience with me (or us); accept that I am not the sharpest tool in the box, and ensure that I understand what you are talking about. I am not so sure of my ground as you suggest; indeed, the reason I argue this point is that I am NOT sure of my ground – or any ground, for that matter. You refer to a graph without any contextual framing, and expect me to accept it; why? Is it an accepted scientific way? I have my doubts about that, but please correct me if I am wrong. How does your graph fit with my anecdote? Can you accept that what I stated happened can have happened? I do apologise that it was not a scientifically recorded observation, but I am sure that it is one that could quite easily be replicated, and, surely, it has to throw a bit of doubt on the GHE of CO2? Otherwise, how could the surface have radiated so much heat during the night that the ground temperature is below zero Celsius, while the air temperature remains comfortably above zero? It is conflicts of personal observation like this with supposed scientific hypotheses that cause me to be sceptical about the validity of those hypotheses.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

BYIJ - I welcome RR's repeated questions.

That straightforward and reasonable questions can't be answered clearly and convincingly is a failure of 'climate scientists' to communicate. Even if the questions display a lack of degree level physics knowledge and might be ridiculed by someone having such knowledge, that is not a reason for someone not to persist in asking them.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Radical,

The fact that you don't understand terms like DLR and be able to read a graph is the sort of thing I am talking about. This is a very simple graph, of a very well-understood phenomenon. There's very little to confuse there.

It's absolutely fine to not understand something, not everybody needs to understand science. But you have to realise that by failing to acquire an understanding of basic physics, you disqualify yourself from criticising the theories that do exist. You see that, surely? A grumbling sense of unease that you are not convinced by an argument is not the same as a scientific critique, you can see that?

Unlike Martin, I don't welcome the same uninformed questions over and over again. Perhaps someone with a teaching temperament doesn't mind going over the same old ground time and again, but this isn't a physics class... this is a showcase of the best of critical thinking in the climate world. And it's embarrassing to have to show the world just how shaky the ground is if the best we can offer is the ubiquitous "trace gas" battle cry.

There are well-founded problems in climate science. There are problems with data homogeny, proxies, poor modelling techniques, badly understood stochastic systems, crooked scientists who will say anything for a grant. And yes, Martin, a big problem is one of communication - because it's hard to explain, science communicators have adopted a 'just trust us' attitude which is deeply unhealthy. There are loads of legitimate scientific problems with the consensus. The greenhouse effect is not one of them, and the longer we go over and over and over it, the stupider we look and the longer this goes on.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

Thank you, TheBigYinJames. I feel well-patronised now, complete with a pat and a “Don’t you worry your pretty little head about it” air, without any attempt to answer the most basic of the questions: what is meant by “DLR”? Then you defer to Martin A (perhaps as it is a more masculine name?) to discuss more important matters, such as communication, without spotting the irony of your own abilities in communications being as bad as the worst of others.

I have little doubt that I could present to you with graphs and pictures that would have you scratching your pretty little head about, until I volunteer to give you some context; all I ask is the context of an otherwise poorly-labelled graph.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

RR, google it, it's not rocket science engineering.

Downward Longwave Radiation

> This is a very simple graph, of a very well-understood phenomenon.
> There's very little to confuse there.

As an engineer I want to know....

1) How much does the H2O portion extend off the left of the X axis? (I can't quickly find figures).
2) What was the cloud cover?
3) How much wind was there?
4) What was the elevation
5) What was the ambient temperature?

6) How much does the graph change if you change variables 2 - 5 above?

Without some context this is a bit like showing CO2 absorbs energy at certain frequencies in a test tube.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM | Unregistered CommenterNial

Radical,

I'm sorry you feel patronised (perhaps we've stumbled on some psychological basis for GHE doubt?) but science is a bit fascist on this point - you only get to criticise something if you understand it. It's a spur to self improvement. The graph is labelled just fine, but for one last time I'll explain (again) what it shows.

People often like to shout about CO2 and how 'trace' it is, and how it can't possibly be having an effect on anything much at all, hoping I think that people don't really know how much of an effect it has, which reduces the argument to a matter of opinion. But we can measure how much energy is re-emitted back by CO2 molecules quite easily, and the experiment has been done numerous times.

You take a spectrum analyser and point it at a dark cloudless sky.

It has to be dark, so you won't measure direct solar radiation (which would drown out the smaller signal from the hot gases in the sky). It should be cloudless, because some of the effects may be from vapour clouds which are even better at bouncing IR back. We're looking to see what a normal, fairly dry warm night atmosphere is doing, not the sun, not the clouds.

Now a 'black body' at a certain temperature emits photons at different wavelengths in a pretty continuous curve, called a Planck curve. There are plenty of pages about Planck curves, so I won't go into massive detail, just say that what a Plank curve describes is how the energy emitted by the 'black body' is spread across different wavelengths of photons emitted. It is generally higher at the low energy photons, and lower at the high-energy photons, and for a perfect black body is a smooth downward sloping curve at most temperatures.

The air in the atmosphere is not a black body, because it is made up of only a relatively small number of different molecules. So the air is only able to emit in certain 'bands' sometimes called 'windows'. These bands correspond to the emission/absorption properties of the molecules. So instead of a smooth Planck curve, you get one which has lots of 'drop-outs' in the parts of the curve where no molecule exists which can emit in those ranges.

So when you point your spectrum analyser at the sky and take some readings, you come up with a graph of DOWNWARD (because it's coming down out of the sky) LONGWAVE (because we're only looking at the longer wavelengths emitted by atmospheric gases) RADIATION (because, well, it's radiation and not convected heat). Or the DLR.

So the graph you end up with - of the DLR - shows you not only that radiation is coming down out of a clear sky that must be coming from the molecules in the air - it also shows you - due to the bands - which molecules emitted them.

So if you go back and look at the graph again - you can see the shape of the graph is a sort of smooth downward Planck curve, with drop outs. Wavelength is along the bottom, from left to right from longwave (low energy) photons to shorter wave (high energy) photons. And on the vertical scale, we have Radiance - which (to simplify) means 'energy per square metre' - or simply energy.

So you can see immediately from the graph that the H2O window is fairly wide - contributing to the DLR across almost the entire range. CO2 contributes at the left hand peak, and other gases as you go along. Apart from the Ozone mini-peak in the middle, the long flat section in the middle is called the "IR Window" or sometimes the "atmospheric window" - this is the part of the IR spectrum which pretty much gets through to space unhindered. There are no (or few) molecules able to absorb in this window). The reason we see it as flat is not because it's not being emitted from the ground (which IS a pretty good black-body because it has a varied atomic composition) but because none of get gets back-radiated by the air.

So even at first glace you can see how much effect CO2 has. If you consider the 'area under the graph' as a metric which demonstrates 'the sum of energy across the wavelengths coming back from molecules in the air' then you can print this graph on squared paper and count the number of squares under the line to get a feel for the total amount. If you then count squares under just the narrow CO2 section (say from wavenumbers 600 to 750) you have an idea of the contribution from CO2.

Put one over the other, you get a guesstimate for the contribution CO2 makes to the entire greenhouse effect. And it comes out to between 20% and 30% of the entire effect. It doesn't matter if the relative concentrations of CO2 are small, 'trace' or negligible. Even at these small levels it contributes a large percentage of the effect. This is why even a small rise in these concentrations can have a large effect.

Let's do another back-of-fag-packet calculation. The warming effect of the atmosphere raises it form the 255K that solar insolation would make it .. to about 285K. About 30K difference.

So if 25% of that effect is from CO2, then that means CO2 contributes 7.5K warming.

So if we, through uncontrolled emission of CO2, manage to raise CO2 levels by say 33% (say from a pre-industrial 300ppm to a business-as-usual 400ppm) that means it's not impossible we might get a proportionate rise of 33% x 7.5K = 2.5K.

Let's say I got my visual square counting wrong, and it's only 20% contribution from CO2. That means we might get a rise of (20% x 30K) x 33% = 2K.

Scary? Not really. This is the UNCONTENTIOUS part of climate science. Ask Lindzen.

It's all about the feedbacks, that's what stops this inexorable rise. That's where scientific scepticism lies. It's all about clouds, and the hydrological cycle.

Not this nonsense about the greenhouse effect.

There is nothing so far (apart from the various approximations and manhandling that experts would point out in my explanation) to contradict such a possibility. The fact that CO2 is 'trace' does not detract from it.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

TBYJ: thank you for your explanation (it might be the last time you will explain it to me, but it is also your only time of explaining it), though I find some of your logic circuitous: if the criticism is that it is not understandable, how can that be rectified, as the critic is not worthy of being heard?

I shall now take some time to see how it relates to the points I have raised.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent