Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Communicating with Climate Scientists

For some time now I’ve been pondering the problems we’re having in communicating our sceptism (or denial if you like) of climate change. Judging by the number of seminars on “Communicating the Science” attended by our climate science community they clearly believe we’ve not understood them. Moreover they never invite sceptics/deniers to these seminars (as far as I know), so they flounder around without any clear idea of what “winning” would look like to them. My sense is that is because they have a different definition of “communicate” than is normal and see it as a didactic process. Hence our apparent refusal to agree with their teachings and prognostications is regarded as a “failure of communication” because we clearly haven’t understood what they’re saying. But what if we have understood them and just plain don’t agree? And indeed have cogent reasons why we don’t agree.

Of course we, from time to time, have contact with Richard Betts, Rob Wilson, Doug McNeall and Ed Hawkins, the Fab Four of climate science with their very own Cilla in Tamsin Edwards, but none of them have “communicated” in the sense that they wanted to hear other views as far as I’m aware. I think their real message was “Love Me Do”, or it could have been “Julia”.

I thought what I’d try to do is to have them answer some questions I have about climate change – you know a kind of real communication where both parties get to talk - and invite comments (although I appear to be something of a persona non-grata for some reason so don’t hold your breath).

I would, of course, liked to have had this discussion in a two day seminar is somewhere like the Lygon Arms, but I’m afraid funds don’t run to it, and indeed as many on this blog are retired it is highly probable they won’t have the time to stay two days away from their retirement.

So here they are:

Theory 1. Increases in CO2 will cause an increase in atmospheric temperatures.
Can anyone explain to me why when we have evidence of a rise in temperature between 1910 and 1940 without a significant rise in CO2, a rise of 8% in CO2 from 1998 to the present with no temperature rise and no indication in the past records that they are related, except for the rise of CO2 after a temperature increase. Why doesn’t this falsify the theory? What would falsify this theory? The very least it indicates is that if CO2 is driving temperature it’s only a small time player, who had investigated that and what was the result? (No models please)

Theory 2. A doubling of CO2 will cause a rise of 1.2C which will trigger positive feedbacks to push the temperatures up by a further 1.5C to 4.5C with a most likely figure of 3C.

These were the numbers in the Charney report of 1979 and haven’t changed since. They were cobbled together from two models one which gave a sensitivity of 2C and one (Jim Hansen’s, naturally) gave a sensitivity of 4C. So Charney added 0.5C to the top end, and subtracted 0.5C to the bottom end to get the range and likely rise in temperature. Would anyone from the climate science community care to comment on the probability of the outputs of two computers with less power than today’s scientific calculators and Charney’s guess at the +/- 0.5C have withstood 35years and billions of dollars of research on the subject?

The models have consistently overestimated the temperature increases – could it be that it’s because this sensitivity “guess” is incorrect?

Theory 3. The models can do accurate projections of the future climate.

Forecasting the future has traditionally been the work of charlatans and mountebanks, while I’m sure that climate scientists (well most of them) are neither, can someone explain why the climate science community are giving the impression that they can tell us what the climate, and hence the average weather, is going to be in 50 or 100 years time?

It’s not possible to get an accurate projection, or predictions as they’re more commonly understood, for a chaotic system. So why haven’t you told the politicians?

Theory 4. The missing heat is hidden in the deep oceans?

This presupposes the energy budgets are accurate and there MUST be heat retained in the ecosphere. Isn’t what this really means is that the energy budgets are falsified?

My final question is, do the climate scientists realise the enormity of what they’re doing? Basically they, or rather their science, (or maybe both given the increasingly political messages from Dame Slingo being quoted out of context) are being used to increase the price of energy worldwide and real people, alive today in both the developed and the developing worlds, will suffer the sort of hardships they’re forecasting in their SPMs for future generations. But what if they’re wrong? What if their inability to see beyond models to the physical world is going to cause massive hardship to no avail? Do they care? Or are they being swept along on a wave of hubris enjoying the funding and prestige that comes from being climate scientists in the 21st century, a without thought for the consequence for poor people if they’re wrong? That’s the sort of “communication” I had in mind.

What would other BHers like to communicate about?

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM | Registered Commentergeronimo

If you are looking for a pop music quote to illustrate the problem, you won't do better than: ' A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest'.

There is no communication because there is no conversation with a person with a cause. Everything climate scientists say in a public forum of any kind is designed for consumption by the uncommitted and their own side. Nothing is even intended to convert sceptics. Nothing is intended to answer your questions factually, it is all an opportunity for p[ropaganda, for diversion, for obfuscation and for non sequitur.

Here's a recent comment from stan on the bengtsson thread:

Note, a lefty psych professor in the US, Jonathon Haidt, and some others have studied how people use moral bases in making policy choices. He says that conservatives use all 5 moral bases (now expanded to 6) whereas liberals use only 2. More interestingly, they discovered something when they had people project how others would decide certain questions. Conservatives and moderates were quite good at predicting how lefties would answer the questions. Lefties, however, had no clue how others think. In essence, lefties did a poor job of predicting because they were so certain the the others were driven by evil motivations.

I was interested enough in stan's comment to get Haidt's book The Righteous Mind from the library. He explains how all of us come to our conclusions first then rationalise the justification for them. All of us, it is a universal human trait. Which I suppose means I do it too, so absolutely any opinion I have has a basis in instinct/intuition and being fairly intelligent I can always find a justifying rationality. So can my opponent. And neither of us can see why the other side doesn't just..understand.

That's why Rhoda's schtick is to ask naive questions. You can see how successful that hasn't been.

I leave with an unaccustomed bit of Alexander Pope:

'Tis with our Judgments as our Watches, none
Go just alike, yet each believes his own.

(This dates from before watches all told the right time, children)

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Thanks, I think they could do worse than visit "the poorer places where the ragged people go" and see first hand what the policies they're forcing on the industrial world have done to them.

Thanks for the Alexander Pope quote.

Yogi Berra:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not"

I'm off to find Haidt on Amazon now'

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

He explains how all of us come to our conclusions first then rationalise the justification for them. All of us, it is a universal human trait.
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

As somebody once said, man is a rational rationalising animal.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:49 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Geronimo
No such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers. I think we get a lot of stupid answers for the reasons outlined in the responses so far.

Sir Patrick Moore's

We just don't know

Would do for me as an answer from your Gang of Four (plus one) to all your (our) questions.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:54 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Geronimo, you won't be sorry if you buy that book. It's well-written in a popular style and full of insight. The only trouble is that for a while after reading it you are analyzing everybody's opinion and arguments informed by the book's theories. And you see the same thing time and again. We can all see many arguments for our own opinion and dismiss those against. The smarter you are the easier to rationalize just about anything, especially if that means fitting in or going along with your cohort. Or getting funding.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:28 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Rhoda, Mrs Geronimo and I are about to go cruising on the River Po next week so I'll read the book then. For my own part I tend not to take anything at face value, which is probably the psychological aftershock of being told there was no Father Christmas, a scar that has never healed. I spent my school years in the hands of Notre Dame nuns and De La Salle brothers respectively, but was an agnostic at around 12 or 13 because it all sounded Father Chrismassy to me. I used to sit down on Friday nights to my weekly portion of fish and would periodically ask my Mam if she really believed that the omniscient supreme ruler of the universe would really condemn us to eternal damnation for eating a bacon butty on Fridays. I was always tut-tutted away and realised later on that the use of the word "omniscient" probably weakened the thrust of my argument as she probably didn't know what I meant. Later I became an atheist, but I would still take the last rites if I knew I was dying. After all I could be wrong. Mrs. geronimo, herself a devout Catholic, tells me I give knew depths to the meaning of the word "shallow".

Which brings me to my views on global warming/climate change/climate disruption/very bad weather. As you have so often said there is no experimental proof that CO2 will cause warming, and never will be, it is only in the models that such "proof" can be found. I don't know whether it does, or not, but suspect, because there are no paleoclimate records of the disasters our interlocutors are forecasting. I had this discussion with Richard shortly before I became persona non grata, and he didn't grasp my point that temperatures could have varied naturally by 1C in the Minoan, Roman and Medieval warm periods but there was no sign in the records of runaway global warming after these events. He didn't get my point maybe because it was stupid and he's a too much of a gentleman to point it out to me.

There seems to me to be three glaring unknowns in the CAGW theory. To what extend CO2 causes warming is an unknown. If it was known we'd have a nice little equation that would forecast, with reasonable accuracy the climate change per delta of CO2 and we haven't. The second one is the "positive feedback" meme, again outside of the minutiae the scientists prefer is the fact that this comes from water vapour, but they can't, and will probably never be able to, model clouds. And the third is the complete ignorance of how other chaotic systems like society, economics and technologies will interact with a warming world, should there be one. Three massive unknowns all being sold as done and dusted. I just want to "communicate" around those three issues before committing to a view on global warming and the possible solutions.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM | Registered Commentergeronimo

Mrs. geronimo, herself a devout Catholic, tells me I give new depths to the meaning of the word "shallow".

Ha, very good. (Corrected a small typo, because it was.)

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I don't want to come over as a prosetyliser for Haidt, but anyone interested can find the crux of it at http://www.moralfoundations.org/ where you can do a self-assessment quiz. Although I haven't tried it yet.

And that's my last off-topic mention. Think of it as a temporary enthusiasm.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

"And that's my last off-topic mention." Actually it's more on topic than my ramblings above. Richard et al have from time to time come on here to "communicate" with us and clearly believe they've failed, primarily because as you, or Haidt, say they are seeing the world through their own prism, hence find evidence of global warming wherever they can. If that's the case then they presumably expected to sweep our resistance to their belief system away with what they are certain is the "truth". I surmise that they have been surprised and disappointed that the "message" hasn't been accepted and we remain stubbornly, curmudgeonly, resistant to their blandishments.

They are clearly very nice people but, in my case at least, find it difficult to understand a belief system that doesn't accept things because scientists say so, and most certainly doesn't accept that there are gifted people who can tell us the average weather in 50 or a 100 years when they can't tell the actual weather 5 days out and have 67% success in 24 hour forecasts when they can see the actual fronts in satellite pictures.

Interestingly, well maybe not that interestingly, I've become less sure that CO2 has any effect at all on the climate as time has passed by. If mytunesgotonenote could just master the English language long enough to present his views in a way a barmaid could understand I might just take more notice.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

SandyS: "Would do for me as an answer from your Gang of Four (plus one) to all your (our) questions."

I agree that from our perspective "I just don't know" is probably the truth, but from their perspective it's a 100% racing certainty that the answers to the four questions are known - and 100%, ok 95%, true, I believe they think they know, so the Haidt thing might be important in us understanding each other.

If we are to communicate it has to be a dialogue, but if someone is certain they hold the truth and others are certain they don't there is little scope for communication. Personally I believe they've won hands down and can't figure why they want to communicate with us at all. Maybe they are subconsciously trying to make friends from the other side who will stand up for them when it all goes belly up, which I predict it will in the next 10 -2 0 years.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Very interesting and enjoyable thread folks (that's why I love BH).

I do like a good book recommendation so will also buy the Haidt book, it reminds me of Vision of the Anointed. Every page you read you're thinking, "yes, yes, that's why they behave like that".

Of course we're all open to believing our own propaganda but at least being aware of it is a first step. I've tried (and tried and tried) to read the warmist blogs to get the other side but I just find the contributors so unimpressive. Likewise with the Chandras et al here. I really want to read what they have to say (to challenge my position)...but always end up disappointed.

RichardB is rightly a favourite here: obviously a nice bloke; obviously a clever bloke...but also obviously a slave to his peer groupthink and obviously beholden to preserving his career (I don't blame him for this). I was really hoping with AR5 he would stand up to be counted but in his (hopelessley one-sided) confrontations with SteveMc he showed his true colours. Very disappointing. All trust lost.

In my day job (as a gambler) I have to fervently try to exclude any outside biases in favour of the facts (or I'd be skint) so I find I no longer have a favourite football team, favourite jockey etc. IMHO that's what's missing from the Climate guys, the feedback loop. However bad they are...they just carry on regardless, no accountability. Like everywhere else competition would hone their skills(!). For a start, put the weather forecast out to tender and let's see how the MO fare. It's preposterous we fall for their 50-100 year soothsaying when their near term track record is so bad.

Oh and Rhoda, please keep asking naive questions. It is those that easily expose the weakness of the alarmist case. Your contributions here are superior to anything found on an alarmist site, or the MSM for that matter. Wood for the trees, straight to the point, just what this foggy debate needs. (I'm very curious to find out what lies behind your Oxfordshire housewife persona!)

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM | Registered CommenterSimonW

On the basis of Rhoda's recommendation, overcame my natural miserliness and bought the Haidt book on Kindle (under £5). Very pleased with it. Civil to all, exceptionally balanced, many good quotes, wide range of references - very convincing. Helps you to tolerate ridiculous arguments put by opponents - they have to serve their elephants (you'll have to read the book). Of course, it makes you worry about your own arguments too - but that's no bad thing for a sceptic. It doesn't completely undermine the possibility of rational discussion (just as well, as that would be self-contradictory) but emphasises the need for eternal vigilance.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

Haidt book - going back to Amazon, I see it's gone up from £4.68 (which is what I paid for it) to £5.99. I wonder why? (still good value, though). I went there in search of a paperback of the same text which would be easier to lend to people.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

Scottish Sceptic says"
The Guardian have some interesting comments from climate academics (I refuse to call people who don’t practice real skeptic science “scientists”
http://scottishsceptic.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/what-really-annoys-climate-academics-about-the-public-critique-of-their-work/#more-3289

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Well, stewgreen, I'm with Richard Betts in his comment:

Professor Richard Betts, chair in Climate Impacts at the College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter, UK

The thing that bugs me most about the way climate change is talked about in the media is journalists citing scientific papers without providing a link to the original paper.

Readers often want to get more details or simply check sources, but this is very difficult (or sometimes impossible) if the source is not given. I’ve raised this a few times, and get lame excuses like ‘readers get frustrated when the journals are paywalled’ but that’s not good enough. Media should provide sources – end of.

[ Perhaps a future discussion topic could be paywalling. There seems to me something wrong with a system where an ordinary citizen cannot get free access to published work, often paid for by public money, and on which government policy has been based. ]

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

On paywalling, I'd add that, so far as I remember, I have *never* received a copy of a climate science paper in reponse to a polite request to its leading author, explaining that I have neither access to a library nor a budget to access paywalled papers.

In other fields, so far as I remember, I have *invariably* received a copy (or a .pdf file) of papers I have requested.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:31 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

"On paywalling, I'd add that, so far as I remember, I have *never* received a copy of a climate science paper in reponse to a polite request to its leading author..."

They probably assume you're "only trying to find something wrong with it."

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM | Registered Commentergeronimo

I wondered that. So far as I remember, I received two replies in response to my requests to climate scientists.

In one case, I received a generic reply to criticisms that had apparently been made of the work but not a copy of the paper itself. In the other case, the lead author advised me to download the paper from the Internet. When I thanked him for his reply but repeated that I had no budget to access paywalled papers so I would be grateful if he would kindly email me a .pdf of the paper, I received no further communication.

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:49 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A