Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Current climate policy is pointless – we need a new approach

Robin
Have no fear. I am as keen to keep on topic as you are. I've said all I intend to say Chandra for the present.
I think you'll find Booker's article relevant — as ever!

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

Chandra: see my comments above. I'm looking forward to your new Discussion thread.

Meanwhile let's get on with this one: in case you've forgotten already, it's about Britain's climate policy in view of global political reality.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

TinyCO2, you assume Lomborg he knows of what he writes. Supposedly the poor are suffering from the Energiewende. If so, why does the policy have the support of die Linke and Caritas amongst others, organisations that speak on behalf of the poor? Why does Lomborg not mention that the cost of other fuels has also risen greatly in the period, or that electricity makes up only a third of German energy use, or that most households don't heat with electricity or that the rise in prices for electricity has been much faster than the rise in the renewables surcharge.

Germany has almost on its own caused a huge boom in PV research and production and through that process has caused PV prices for the rest of the world to plummet. Utility scale solar now sells for $0.08 or less per KWh in sunny parts of the US. Yes it has cost Germany a lot of money, but seriously, find some evidence that it has suffered as a result. Germany has record low unemployment, a record trade surplus, a balanced budget and is apparently very successful despite the terrible drag of the Energiewende.

You also fail to ask yourself how many in Russia's kleptocratic paradise or China's brutal one party state, lauded as examples to us all by Robin, are in fuel poverty.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Hmm ... "Russia's kleptocratic paradise or China's brutal one party state". But Chandra, you forgot "the dreaded slave-dependent ancient Egypt" - see my post at 5:18 PM.

As I've said - and you seem unable to understand - this Discussion is about Britain's climate policy in view of global political reality. I look forward to your Discussion thread(s) on subjects that interest you. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/22/climate-change-deniers-have-won-global-warming

"The climate change deniers have won
Scientists continue to warn us about global warming, but most of us have a vested interest in not wanting to think about it"

Again it's the fault of us greedy capitalists, but even the stalwarts of the Guardian are thinking in terms of defeat. Personally I fear there will be a few more years of faffing about.

Two more articles on Europe's current energy situation in the light of Russian actions

http://www.thegwpf.org/dieter-helm-european-energy-climate-policy-in-the-ukraine-crisis/

http://www.thegwpf.org/the-roots-of-russias-revanchism/

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Robin,

> As I've said - and you seem unable to
> understand - this Discussion is about ...

Why should I listen to such admonishments when they are addressed only to me and not, for example, to TinyCO2 for the same sin?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Good point, Chandra. Message to all: let's try to get on topic. Thanks.

Here's a question that might help: does anyone think that the meeting in Paris next year (UNFCCC COP21) is likely to succeed in producing a binding worldwide treaty for a significant reduction in CO2 emissions?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

No. Even the EU are rethinking.

http://www.thegwpf.org/eu-leaders-delay-decision-on-climate-targets/

"The conclusions adopted today call on the European Commission to come forward by June with a roadmap toward European energy independence. The central and eastern European countries insisted that only after this roadmap has been reviewed can discussions on 2030 targets take place. But the EU already has an energy roadmap to 2050, which was endorsed by member states two years ago. This roadmap already lays out ways to achieve energy independence.

Environmental campaigners and some businesses expressed exasperation that national leaders did not seem to see the issues of the 2030 targets and energy independence as being related."

In other words, the member states are stalling for time, hoping everyone will drop the targets before they have to do much to achieve them. We'll do it tomorrow...

Next question?

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

A EU rethink is better than them sticking to ridiculous targets that no country in Europe will meet. But such rethinking won't automatically extend to reversing all the existing kickbacks for corrupted crony capitalism, not even the crassest examples like biofuel subsidies.

Robin's got the big picture right and it's an argument we have to win, for the reasons he gives, quite apart from the science. Then comes the rollback of all the individual measures. This one headline doesn't guarantee the first, let alone the second. But it's better than a spit in the eye.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

From the Ecclesiastical Uncle, an old retired bureaucrat in a field only remotely related to climate with minimal qualifications and only half a mind.

'Current climate policy is pointless - we need a new approach'. I doubt it. With climate policy we need a void - after all doing nothing in response to climate change has been much recommended in this blog.

On the (related but quite separate) matter of energy policy we do indeed need something new, and we must hope that the politicians deliver.

The apparent contradiction between green policy and an energy policy that pumps copious quantities of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere will be as easily swept under the carpet as is/was the encouragement of fracking by the 'greenest government ever'. Such inconsistencies are routine in today's politics and it is unduly pessimistic to assume they will always be utilized to further CAGW. There are occasions when wheeling out such double unspeak in the interests of political expediency will work in favour of the skeptic cause, and developments along such lines seem much more likely than any approach that will bring with it the need to face up and admit to a U-turn.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM | Unregistered CommenterEcclesiastical Uncle

Wise words, EU. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:08 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Another brick in the wall falls. What took them so long?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/10716756/Biofuels-do-more-harm-than-good-UN-warns.html

The United Nations will officially warn that growing crops to make “green” biofuel harms the environment and drives up food prices, The Telegraph can disclose.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

More from Lilico

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/andrewlilico/100026933/climate-change-the-debate-is-about-to-change-radically/

He's been reading the leaked IPCC WG2 report and thinks that it indicates a change of tack towards adaptation. Is he right, or is this wishful thinking?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Well, Paul, let's hope he's right. And, even if the IPCC returns to form and changes the emphasis back to alarm/mitigation, there are some sharp eyes watching what's going on: see this for example.

Lilico's article includes some great stuff:

So the mitigation deal has become this: Accept enormous inconvenience, placing authoritarian control into the hands of global agencies, at huge costs that in some cases exceed 17 times the benefits even on the Government's own evaluation criteria, with a global cost of 2 per cent of GDP at the low end and the risk that the cost will be vastly greater, and do all of this for an entire century, and then maybe – just maybe – we might save between one and ten months of global GDP growth.

Can anyone seriously claim, with a straight face, that that should be regarded as an attractive deal or that the public is suffering from a psychological disorder if it resists mitigation policies?

Surely even the IPCC can see that worldwide mitigation is an absurd dream now that the UNFCCC Non-Annex I countries, responsible for nearly 70% of global emissions, have made it clear - for good reason such as the alleviation of poverty - that they won't accept binding reduction commitments? Impassioned pleas by Christiana Figueres are not going to change that.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

I fear Lilico is fooling himself. Just posted this on his Telegraph blog:

I'm afraid there's some wishful thinking going on here from Andrew Lilico, and perhaps some misunderstanding. The IPCC has not suddenly seen the Lililo light and abandoned mitigation in favour of adaptaton. The IPCC is divided up into three working groups:

Working Group I (WG1)– The Physical Science Basis
Working Group II (WG2) – Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
Working Group III (WG3) – Mitigation of Climate Change

WG1 reported last September, and the report that is now being leaked and will be finally published next week is WG2. Since it has "adaptation" in its title, it's hardly surprising that discussion of adaptation is featured prominently.

In fact, if anything, the IPCC seems to be moving the other way. In the previous (2007) WG2 summary, 'mitigation' only appeared 6 times, but in this new 2014 one it is there more than 20 times.

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

I continue to be amazed at the extent to which the West (and the IPCC is essentially a Western artefact) has been outfoxed, outmanoeuvred and outgunned by the so-called ‘developing economies’. There are many reasons why the latter are not going to agree to the deep urgent cuts in GHG emissions that we are told are needed to avert catastrophe: I mentioned the alleviation of poverty above – and see this. Another is that their leader China is unconvinced that there’s a problem anyway - and that probably applies to others. Obviously they're not rushing to say so publicly as they're quite happy to watch while the once-powerful West destroys its economy.

So what will all this wailing (about how dreadful everything’s going to be if we don’t act) actually achieve? I suggest two things: (1) more demands that the West must show ‘leadership’ (i.e. make unilateral cuts) and (2) even more urgent insistence that ‘climate justice’ requires the transfer of huge sums from the ‘rich’ to the ‘poor’ as ‘compensation’.

What it will not achieve is the smallest dent in developing economies’ (responsible for about 70% of global emissions) push for fossil fuel based growth. But it may trigger a few more amused smiles in Beijing.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Robin:

I continue to be amazed at the extent to which the West (and the IPCC is essentially a Western artefact) has been outfoxed, outmanoeuvred and outgunned by the so-called ‘developing economies’.

Amazing, unlikely and therefore I feel bound to search for other explanations. But that's not I think what this thread is about. And as everyone knows I'm very strict on such matters :)

Whatever the causes, it's vital in a democracy that these points, about how little sense any 'mitigation' from the UK or Europe makes, come through much louder and clearer from sceptics than they ever have before. Which is why I support your efforts as much as I do.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard: I'd be interested to see your (surely only marginally?) off topic explanations.

I've got one. Whereas the EU sends true believers (e.g. the DECC) as its negotiators, China, India etc. send hard-headed diplomats who understand (a) how the whole issue relates to international politics and (b) the detailed minutiae of the negotiating history and documentation. (In fairness, I should add that the US deploys professionals also - that's why essentially it's negotiating position has been remarkably consistent whatever the rhetoric of the incumbent President). The EU position is made far worse by the IPCC - for some bizarre reason - allowing huge numbers of (largely young emotional) people representing activist NGOs to infest negotiations and express rage at anything they see as backtracking (by the EU) - in their eyes the developing economies are innocent victims. Here's an example: LINK.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

OK, let me mention one theory. The whole CAGW garbage is emotional whitewash to cover over, in Europe and the US, the dirtiest forms of crony capitalism so typical of fascism in the 30s and 40s. Your point about young people is a very good one. But all of this eco-bunk is to enable 'The Entrepreneur' and others like him, whichever side of the revolving door they currently sit, to get away with robbery of the poor on behalf of the rich with the help of the EU dictats and their UK equivalents. And that's it.

In China they're far from perfect but they do believe in economic growth and it is bringing vast numbers of their people out of hopeless poverty so they're in a different place - though not totally. And there's certainly some hope in that story and elsewhere in the scene, as Ecclesiastical Uncle I thought rightly emphasized.

I don't believe this theory explains everything but I think it's part of the picture. People can only learn from experience what allows them to get away with such enormous and disgraceful scams. They've had enough time to learn by now.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I don't think it's so amazing. The chattering classes are so racked with self- righteous guilt that they would outfox themselves, regardless of anything the developing countries did. Hence all the "we have to give dev countries lots of money to compensate them for CC which is all our fault" BS.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

It's only non-amazing if one finds the resilience of that 'self-righteous guilt' non-amazing. But agree it's another part of the picture.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:42 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

An example of how China has persuaded the EU believers, but not I think the US, that it’s really one of the good guys is its ‘target’ to reduce ‘carbon intensity’ (the GDP/emissions ratio) by 42% on 2005 by 2020. This has greatly impressed for example Globe International – LINK (Check out the two lovely people flanking Xie Zhenhua).

The reality is interesting. In 2005, China’s GDP was 19 trillion RNB and its CO2 emissions were 1600 TTCE (thousand tons of carbon equivalent) - i.e. 84 TTCE for one trillion RNB. In 2012, GDP had grown to 53 trillion RNB and CO2 emissions to 2600 TTCE - i.e. 49 TTCE for one trillion RNB. That's a 42% reduction in 'carbon intensity'. (These figures are rounded – for the data see this and this (go to 'China" in top RH box).) So, according to these figures, China has already achieved its 2020 carbon intensity target, while increasing emissions by 62%.

This means that, if China's economy grows by only 5% pa (it’s 8% today) and the GDP/emissions ratio is unchanged, it would by 2020 increase its 2012 emissions (already 27% of global emissions) by 50%, yet still meet its carbon intensity target. Perhaps Gummer and Prescott might not be grinning so much if they understood that.

BTW here's a comment by Xie Zhenhua:

"There are disputes in the scientific community. We have to have an open attitude to the scientific research. There's an alternative view that climate change is caused by cyclical trends in nature itself. We have to keep an open attitude."
I don't think they would be too happy about that either.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:36 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Thank you very much for these figures Robin. Nothing should take away from their importance as a basis for rational planning and policy making. However, while we're at it ...

Perhaps Gummer and Prescott might not be grinning so much if they understood that.

Perhaps. Or perhaps they do understand and their grins can be explained by other things:

1. I've managed to stay in the limelight at an advanced age through this caper
2. Going along helps me make more money for my retirement and my descendants
3. Looking morally superior and fooling the useful idiots is such great fun.

I don't know which it is or whether it's genuine failure to understand. And even the 'genuine' there is highly dubious. I'd wager they'd understand soon enough if the economic disaster they're going to cause for others was going to affect their own bottom line in the next five years.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Richard: re 'their bottom line in the next five years' I fear you're right. I recently came across this interview by Bloomberg BNA (BBNA) with Halldor Thorgeirsson who is No 2 to UNFCCC Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres. Here's an extract:

BBNA: In talking to delegates, the idea emerges that the 2015 agreement may end up being a set of rules on accounting for and monitoring emissions and so on and that the rest of it could be put into place a year or two later with a legally binding COP decision. This begs a question: Is the 2015 agreement meant to be a comprehensive treaty that will cover most aspects of the process to confront climate change? Or is it going to be a kind of rulebook that leaves the prickly issues for 2016 or 2017?

Thorgeirsson: Well, I have some observations: First, the backbone of the transparency and accountability framework is already under construction in the form of MRV [rules for “Measuring, Reporting, and Verification”], and that infrastructure is coming to fruition soon, well before Paris. The new agreement will in essence rely on that reporting infrastructure.

What remains is this question of accounting—there is a difference between reporting and accounting. Reporting is the information you provide and accounting is what you do with that information. It would be extremely helpful if this could be clarified this year, but it doesn't stop there.

[My emphases]

This all sounds like bureaucrat speak for keeping the gravy train running when (as they must suspect is likely) nothing substantial is agreed in Paris next year. Yet back in 2007 Pachauri was saying (LINK):

If there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late. What we do in the next two to three years will determine our future. This is the defining moment.
And these people are taken seriously.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Yep, it's almost too late to save the planet. Translation: Another five year plan to fatten the calf for us and our cronies. After that, it will again be almost too late. And there will be another crop of impressionable youngsters to carry the scary placards. The Ministry of Truth will see to that.

I think the cycle can be broken but we need at least to understand how rotten it is. And those pushing for 'world governance' are playing the same dirty game but seeking to take the Monopoly where no democratic hand can interfere.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake