Buy

Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Termination of the journal Pattern Recognition in Physics

http://www.pattern-recognition-in-physics.net/

Copernicus Publications started publishing the journal Pattern Recognition in Physics (PRP) in March 2013. The journal idea was brought to Copernicus' attention and was taken rather critically in the beginning, since the designated Editors-in-Chief were mentioned in the context of the debates of climate skeptics. However, the initiators asserted that the aim of the journal was to publish articles about patterns recognized in the full spectrum of physical disciplines rather than to focus on climate-research-related topics.

Recently, a special issue was compiled entitled "Pattern in solar variability, their planetary origin and terrestrial impacts". Besides papers dealing with the observed patterns in the heliosphere, the special issue editors ultimately submitted their conclusions in which they “doubt the continued, even accelerated, warming as claimed by the IPCC project” (Pattern Recogn. Phys., 1, 205–206, 2013).

Copernicus Publications published the work and other special issue papers to provide the spectrum of the related papers to the scientists for their individual judgment. Following best practice in scholarly publishing, published articles cannot be removed afterwards.

In addition, the editors selected the referees on a nepotistic basis, which we regard as malpractice in scientific publishing and not in accordance with our publication ethics we expect to be followed by the editors.

Therefore, we at Copernicus Publications wish to distance ourselves from the apparent misuse of the originally agreed aims & scope of the journal as well as the malpractice regarding the review process, and decided on 17 January 2014 to cease the publication of PRP. Of course, scientific dispute is controversial and should allow contradictory opinions which can then be discussed within the scientific community. However, the recent developments including the expressed implications (see above) have led us to this drastic decision.

Interested scientists can reach the online library at: www.pattern-recogn-phys.net

Martin Rasmussen
January 2014

"In addition, the editors selected the referees on a nepotistic basis"

It reads to me as if the publishers felt that their statement sounded a bit weak, so they grubbed around for something to sex it up a bit - but that's all that they could come up with.

This accusation is not mentioned in the letter to the editors as posted by Tallbloke. If the letter published by Tallbloke is the complete letter, then it is clearly an item added as a grubby afterthought, without apparently having first been discussed with the editors.

Making an allegation without no evidence to be seen, and which is inherently incapable of being refuted (because of the anonymity of referees) makes me feel that those making the allegation put themselves in a poor light.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

One of the editors of the PRP was Nils Axel Morner.
I have not checked but that is the name of the world's leading expert on tides who has been on record many times disproving the alarmist stories about sinking atolls and the like.
If it is the same person, they must have known what to expect.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM | Registered Commentermikeh

@ mikeh

It is the same person.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM | Unregistered Commenteroldbrew

"..the designated Editors-in-Chief were mentioned in the context of the debates of climate skeptics"

That does not seem to me like a valid reason for disqualification of a person, an article, or the credibility of the journal or it's editors. The EGU/Copernicus have a journal called "Climate of the Past", so they should not be feeling that climate issues are beyond their competence.

Whatever the real reasons for pulling the plug before the second issue, the given reasons don't hold water, and Copernicus have made themselves look foolish. I can understand Ian Wilson (commenting at WUWT) feeling like he has been libeled.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM | Unregistered Commentermichaelhart

"In addition, the editors selected the referees on a nepotistic basis"

To any one that has published, reviewed or edited a special issue in the past this should make their BS detector explode.

It is an extremely normal practice to choose reviewers that are also authors in the same issue, in all fields of science. What is wrong with that? We are falling on the trap that peer reviewed means validated. It doesn't, it is only a minor filter to avoid obvious mistakes, nothing more. In many cases it is only a gesture, as the editor has the final word on whether the paper is published or not. And I know of many papers that have been rejected by reviewers but were published because they were authored by influential academics.

The final judge is nature, not the reviewer.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:56 AM | Registered CommenterPatagon

Patagon - I agree with that.

Anthony Watts, on WUWT, seems to be whipping himself and some commenters into a frenzy of indignation. In his earlier posting, he made clear his hostility to the nature of the work but his emphasis now is on the issue of 'pal review'.

Tallbloke himself responded:

"There’s a big difference between ‘pal review’ which aims to get a sub-standard paper under the wire of the IPCC deadline, ‘pal reviewers’ who aim to keep sceptical papers out of mainstream journals, and ‘pal review’ which aims to improve a colleagues paper and honestly criticises it to do that"

I posted a comment of my own:

I don’t get a lot of this stuff about peer-review – especially I don’t get the idea that it provides some sort of acid test of the conclusions of a paper.

It has always seemed to me that climate science’s trumpeting that work has been ‘peer reviewed’, with the implication that it was therefore not open to dispute, was ridiculous. Indeed the term ‘peer-reviewed’ seems to have come into use via climate science. I imagine it was originally intended to exclude, for example, popular magazine articles from the IPCC’s consideration.

Over the years I have published a good number of papers (in refereed engineering journals – nothing to do with climate) and I have myself reviewed many papers. My understanding has always been that the role of the reviewer is to uphold the standards of the journal. A reviewer should certify:

- That the work appears to be original. This requires that the reviewer is familiar with the literature of the field.

- That it is in an area of interest to readers of the journal.

- That it is nontrivial and it represents a significant advance.

- That is makes adequate reference to prior work in the area.

- That its presentation is satisfactory (use of language and terminology, explanation of symbols, follows in logical sequence and so on).

- That the work makes sense, there are no obvious errors and so on.

Some issues (eg lack of originality or triviality) result in a recommendation that the paper should be rejected. Other issues (problems of language, inadequate details of experimental equipment, or inadequate reference to relevant prior work) result in recommendations for the paper to be revised and resubmitted.

Although a reviewer should check mathematical derivations and apply ‘sanity checks’ to results, I have never considered it part of a reviewer’s role to verify the work.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

yep, the overall impression I get from WUWT is that Anthony seems to have an issue with Scafetta.

As for the PRinP, I guess that the main driver is some pressure from the EGU. EGU is the main business of Copernicus publications, and you don't want to annoy your best client, whose fidelities are very clear: Hans Oeschger Medal 2012 to MM

If not, why the appeasing comments to the IPCC in the note of termination?

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM | Registered CommenterPatagon

Patagon, yes, that's correct, it is standard practise for papers in a special issue to be reviewed by other contributors to the volume. I said exactly this at WUWT this morning.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

And the rift between the slayer/harmonics/pressure-only camp and the rest of skepticaldom grows.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames