Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Dr Murry Salby - lecture at Parliament 6 Nov

"The Law Dome ice core curves upwards at the end too, and that ice core has decadal resolution."
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM | Unregistered CommenterMarkus

If you accept that the snow/ice-pack is open to exchange air with the atmosphere for periods much longer than that, then it is essentially not possible to acheive decadal resolution.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Markus - as your previous post also made clear, you obviously have not watched Salby's lecture. You are talking rubbish again

You seem to make a speciality of saying that things that Salby did not say are wrong. Doing that speaks volumes about you but it says nothing about Salby.

"if...CO2 is a proxy for temperature" He does not say that at all, as you would know if you had watched his lecture.

However, it is ironic that he does point out that the universal failure of climate models amounts to their programmers assuming just that.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Where was the video of Salby's recent speech posted?

And out of interest, MartinA, which graphs did you replicate?

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra - to satisfy your curiosity I'll look up what I did last year when I am back home next week.

The best source for anyone to inform themselves about what Salby says is his Hamburg lecture which includes stills for the graphs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ROw_cDKwc0

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

There are some interesting papers that bear on this discussion and that for the first time have affected my reliance on ice-core records.
Predominantly:
A post within the last week on WUWT by a Dr Tim Ball about CO2
Paper by Ernst-Georg Beck 2007

I think Martin A might have tried to persuade me to read Beck earlier but I am not sure if I did.

As a result of Selby plus these papers I now believe that the ice core records are an accurate guide to the timing of changes and the direction of the changes in CO2 levels but not to the actual levels themselves.

The Beck paper relates to CO2 measurements from 1812 to 1958 showing that levels during that period had been similar to today's levels or even higher. Beck describes how these measurements were wrongly dismissed by Callendar and Keeling. Obviously the whole CAGW theory relies on CO2 levels being higher today than before industrialisation.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Chandra - to answer your question, the principal graphs that I replicated were the smoothed annual increment curves for CH4 and CO2.

Previously I had said that the curves I got were visually identical to Salby's. Putting my curves side by side with his, I'd now revise that to say they are visually similar. The peaks and troughs are in the same places and have about the same amplitudes but the curves are not the same in every detail.

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Something else Salby forgot about

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM | Unregistered CommenterEli Rabett