Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Troll slaying videos

While looking for the Guardian piece Bish has just written about (anyone found the original?) I came across this video series about what Climate Desk and the Guardian call Climate Trolls. Interesting to see how it is trying to trivialise the idea of opposing the consensus. And also in the second one its interesting how Physics Girl talks in a very matter of fact way about the science becoming "more and more certain".

I wonder if this post-doc "troll-slayer" discussed these things with other informed scientists she might be a bit out of her depth.

(And the irony of the advert that precedes the video being for an Audi SUV is great.)

May 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM | Unregistered CommenterCharlie Furniss
May 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Well she shows everything that is wrong with Climate Science...in 3 mins. She has talent...

May 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterJiminy Cricket

Wow! She is Physics Girl and her job is to put the truth to trolls, and here example is that a blogger asked why the waming hiatus wasn't forecast by the models. Answer: "There's been no hiatus."

OK, but what did the models say was going to happen and how does that relate to the observations Physics Girl?

Having spent a period in my career working in, and with, academia, the scales were lifted from my eyes and I realised that you can be clever and stupid simultaneously. And not clever and not stupid simultaneously.

May 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Thanks for posting the link Jiminy

May 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterCharlie Furniss

In years to come, these people will feel the same sense of revulsion and shame as former Hitler Youth members do now. (Godwins alert) To them at the time, it seemed right and fun. Only in later life will they see how wrong and manipulated they have been.

May 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheBigYinJames

The third part is up now. Physics girl meets the Troll on Skype, they talk past each other for two an a half minutes, before the journalist interrupts saying “this could go on for another hour, but I really want to thank you for getting involved and being good sports...” and the Guardian slogan comes up: “the guardian the whole picture”.
Physics girl makes one valid point. It’s not about getting funding, because if AGW doesn’t happen, scientists will go on to research something else:

“You do realise that most scientists, (shrugs shoulders) we wouldn’t lose our jobs. OK, we’d research other things, we’d research, you know, why the hell did we have this model that swung up and then swung down again?”
It reminds me of something Sir Paul Nurse said on the Horizon Programme, though I think Sir Paul used the word “woosh!”

May 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

See Jo Nova's blog for more, including comment from Hoyt himself.

The whole thing gives a good insight into the idiocy of the climate activists - including their lack of insight. For example in vid 3 they lament the namecalling, before talking to the "pernicious troll".
Moments later they twist and misrepresent his words, feeding a strawman question to physicsgirl.

May 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

I think they're doing the sceptic community a service: most people would view that first video and wonder why such an apparently perfectly reasonable and normal man is being labelled a "troll" by the two obnoxiously smug characters from the Guradian climate desk.

May 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM | Unregistered CommenterTurning Tide

The two youngsters from the Guardian can't be very long out of school, and I have a horrible suspicion that there may be thousands like them who have had a very poor education in the UK, whether that be in manners or deportment in dealing with others, or in climate-related subjects,. but yet have a bizarre level of assurance about their beliefs and attitudes. Theirs is a tragedy not on the scale or intensity of those who have starved because of bio-fuels, but it is a sad thing for them that they are so supercilious and ill-informed, and of course their type are amongst those who helped get those bio-fuels promoted in the first place. Saving the planet, of course.

May 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

John Shade
The two journalists are colonials by their accents and have never been exposed to the omniprevalent Essex twang. Whatever’s responsible for their insufferable pomposity, it’s not the UK school system.

TurningTide
I’ve long admired your ability to hang in there, having been banned six times from CiF. Now you’re banned, you’ll have to get used to Life on the Outside. It’s much less fun talking to sane people who agree with you.

May 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM | Registered Commentergeoffchambers

Join twitter. You can make fun of moonbat and hickman as much as you like and they cant ban you. And it is the perfect medium for your witty one-liners.

May 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

geoffchambers, well those accents sure fooled me. I just thought they were from south of here, but listening again I jalouse that's a couple of continents further south than I had at first imagined!

May 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

Climate Desk is a Guardian environmental network partner

A US website,
http://climatedesk.org/category/climate-desk-features/

May 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods