Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Asking all the right (wrong) questions

Faced with the opportunity to attend a local presentation in support of a new wind farm - and the possible public meetings that will ensue - I intend to go and make my protest known.

Someone on here posited a statement, as a perfect riposte to the standard claim that wind farms mitigate AGW, that went along the lines of ..

"....so, when has there NEVER been global warming?" Brilliant!

Loaded questions deserve loaded answers. The fact that the wind farm proposal will be financed and staffed by people who have been very well 'informed' needs a suitable countermeasure. Can anyone provide an example or two or give an insight to how the proposers may load their side of the argument?

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM | Registered Commenterdaveg

Mr Woods and Mr Bratby are probably your best bet since they seem to get involved in this sort of situation. However I think the dice are loaded against you however logical and eloquent the arguments you put forward.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM | Registered CommenterDung

daveg and others may be interested in the case of the University of Nottingham's plans to build 3 wind turbines near the centre of the city.

As an example of how the proposers load their side of the argument, they employed a company called Yes2Wind to hand out leaflets and help people write letters of support.
One of the applications has recently been turned down by the council, although the University has not yet updated its website to report this fact.

To object, you need to write a letter to the council considering the application. There's plenty of info on the web about which kinds of objections are valid and which are not (for example, there is no point in getting into general global warming arguments).

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews