Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Second Oxford pub meet?

I could not get to the Kings Arms. Would anyone be interested in another conversation in Oct or Nov? Same or different pub?

These dates are good for me: 18 or 19 Oct, or 2nd week in Nov. Other dates are possible (but not during half-term which is 25 Oct - 5 Nov for us (rolls eyes)).

Please say what days and dates suit you best and where you'd like to meet. I hope we can reach a consensus...

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM | Registered CommenterDR

Works for me. We will need proper recognition signals this time...

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

Carry a copy of the HSI?

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

I'm back from extensive investigation of the effects of tropical temperatures on human, animal and plant life, as well as ocean currents and trade winds. You know, on the whole it didn't seem too bad. Even the wind farm above Maalea harbour seemed to work all the time. Anyhow, I'm up for another pub meet, although in term time we may need a quieter venue. Any date is OK for me.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

I could do with an evening at the pub.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods

I see that DR is now rolling in quatloos...

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

18th Oct is bad for me, as I'm organising an event that night - www.oxfordsalon.org.uk if you're local and interested.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Unregistered CommenterBen Pile

How about Thursday 8th Nov, at the Prince of Wales, Church Way, Iffley? http://www.wadworth.co.uk/iffley/prince_of_wales

It's not a student pub but a disadvantage it's not on a bus route (nearest route is the 3 along Iffley Road).

Other suggestions welcome!

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM | Registered CommenterDR

Iffley would be good for us (if the dates suit).

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM | Unregistered Commentermaceanruig

I'd go if I could.
Wengen in the Bernese Oberland is always superb. Much better than East Anglia.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Any of those days would be good for me. But please make it somewhere central in Oxford. I'll need to come on the train from NW Surrey and need to be on a frequent bus route for getting home.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

Latimer, I could pick you up from the station.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

@rhoda

Thanks for the offer. It was more the getting home again that concerned me.....its 3 trains so I'll need to be away from Oxford by 9:30......unless I bring my bike......hmmmmm

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

Can we confirm the 8th Nov from 6.30pm?

I'm not sure what to suggest about the venue. Pubs near the station will probably be full of students.

I'd still prefer to go with the Prince of Wales, Iffley.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommenterDR

Sounds like fun, wish I could make it from 3,000 miles away.... how about Skype in the pub for distant BHers?? ha ha

For a recognition signal, may I suggest that anyone without a paper copy of HSI could print out a page with the new "Hiding the Decline" cover.... that spaghetti graph would be fun to wave around in the pub.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM | Registered CommenterSkiphil

I second sticking with the Prince of Wales this time. There will no doubt be a third event and we can make sure that that one is more convenient for long distance visitors such as Latimer Alder.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

Looks like we have a plan. I can run Latimer back to the station if required.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM | Registered Commenterrhoda

I could always whear my Campaign Against Climate Change badge ;-) !

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Woods

Much as I would like to come, the 8th of November also happens to be my wife's birthday..

so next time, I might get to meet Latimer.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterBarry Wood

I'm hoping to be able to join you, Which bus stop do I need to get off at? I'll be coming on the #3 from Oxford Station.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

It would be great to be able to meet up. You guys and girls have fun!!

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM | Registered Commentershub

Latimer, the fact that #3 is running from the station again makes your journey slightly more practical. Ask the bus driver for Iffley Turn.

The bus will go through the centre of town and out along the High Street. At the Plain roundabout it heads down Iffley Road. After about 1 mile travelling through residential areas you pass some shops on the left and then come to the junction with Donnington Bridge Road which has traffic lights.

Now look at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ox4+4hn

The bus keeps along the Iffley Road (which becomes Henley Avenue but you won't notice this) turning gently to the left and starting to climb the hill; Iffley Turn (lower) leaves on the right, but ignore this and stay on the bus until past the junction. Once you are actually climbing the hill press the bell and the bus should stop at the junction with Iffley Turn (upper).

Cross the road and walk along Iffley Turn to the mini roundabout. Keep straight on onto Church Way. Pass Meadow Lane on the right and Tree Lane (with the Tree Hotel) on the left, and you will soon reach the Prince of Wales on the left (very obvious pub, set back from the road but with a big pub sign on the road). The whole walk should take about 5 minutes.

If you send me an email I can give you my mobile number in case you get lost.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

Thanks for the directions, Jonathan. I remember the Iffley Road for a big gymnasium where I had to do my Chemistry Prelims a long time ago :-( . Sir Roger Bannister may have equally painful, but rather more noteworthy memories.

In 'real life' I have a part time job on the buses, so I'm pretty good at finding my way around...no need for a mobile, thanks.

Should we try to give this meeting slightly wider publicity? E.g at WUWT or Judith's? There are many lurkers who might be interested to come.....not sure how to judge this? But I'd be happy to put an OT comment at Judy's if it was felt appropriate. Views?

See you all on Thursday abt 6:30!

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterLatimer Alder

I did Chemistry Prelims there as well (1986). The gym is now a swimming pool and the exams have moved to Ewart House in Summertown.

Most Oxford students seem to confuse the Iffley Road Sportsground with Iffley Village, except for the more observant rowers who spot the significance of Iffley Lock and know Donnington Bridge from their eraly morning "Three Bridges" training runs.

On publicity, I think that's a matter for individual decision. I see this as a BH meet rather than one for the wider fringes of the climate blogosphere, and I suspect that most likely takers already know about it, but YMMV.

DR and I should be at the pub between 6:00 and 6:30.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM | Registered CommenterJonathan Jones

Wider publicity? Sure. Everybody welcome. If we could get a true believer or two, that would be good too.
And lurkers, you don't have to declare here, just turn up.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM | Unregistered Commenterrhoda