Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Brexit Party Manifesto

In the absence of a manifesto at the moment, what would you put in it? How would you lure Labour and Tories? Where would you get money and where would you spend it?

May 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Worth a skim? Richard North's Flexit looks full of ideas:

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87236

May 14, 2019 at 7:44 PM | Unregistered Commenternot banned yet

The absence of a full manifesto is a cute move as it reduces the attack surface and allows candidates to concentrate on *their* immediate message - and it must frustrate the hell out of political attack dogs that May's crew and the lefty media want to let slip on The Brexit Party.

As a consequence I think in the next week or so we'll see some low personal attacks which will likely be counterproductive and result in a hardening of voter resolve to give the incumbents a kicking that will hurt.

May 14, 2019 at 7:45 PM | Registered Commentertomo

They don't need a manifesto for the EUro elections - "implement the will of the people as expressed in a referendum demanded by Parliament and in respect of which most senior politicians said they would respect and implement the result, but have failed to do so" should do it.

In the event, as seems likely, we remain in the EU by the date of the next general election, then clearly a detailed manifesto will have to be worked up - or will it? Is it not possible to be a single issue party unless and until that issue is resolved?

I agree with M Courtney (on unthreaded) that Brexit is far from the biggest issue facing most people in the UK. However, politicians' contempt for democracy and for the will of the people is a pretty big deal, and one that might just exercise enough people at a forthcoming GE to vote for the Brexit Party and abandon traditional loyalties - possibly with dramatic (and maybe unintended) results.

I think the Brexit Party's biggest challenge will be to come up with a successful strategy to deal with the Establishment dirty tricks campaign that will inevitably now ensue.

May 14, 2019 at 8:16 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

I agree that they can get away without one for the Euros but they won't continue to grow without one... or with one if it's stupid. I know Labour manage without sensible policies but they attract idiots.

The Euros are pure protest vote territory. In theory, those MEPs won't even take office. If the BP can't sweep 50% of the vote there, they'll never do it in a real election unless they appeal on a deeper level.

May 14, 2019 at 9:27 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2