Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Tommy Robinson Discussion Page

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:02 PM | Mark Hodgson

What costs are Defendants allowed to include in "Defendant's Costs"?

In addition to Lawyer's Fees, I presume that Police Forces are now required to keep accurate records of man hours spent on different duties and tasks, so that Police Forces claiming that they are under resourced can provide justification.

I appreciate that Robinson instigated this Legal Claim, but are there precedents for costs/fines if people are found Guilty of Wasting Police time? Presumably costs must be a fair reflection of time wasted and not set at a punitive or vengeance level?

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:47 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Mark

It is I think very rare indeed for cases against the police to come to court - I know of two cases against a combination of police and council officials over licensing disputes where the matter was settled in the complainant's favour quickly and more to the point very quietly....

If TR had a really strong case he'd have been paid off and NDA'd - so I'd say that he was badly advised - unless the intent was to signal that TR is a victim - which seems a bit daft tbh.

Regardless of the outcome though - the detail of the police actions wrt to TR's family does not put them in a good light - I look forward to the inevitable round of claims from jihadists.... We have not afaik had our own Omar Khadr - but it is surely only a matter of time before we do...

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:00 PM | Registered Commentertomo

golf charlie, the only costs legally capable of being awarded against Tommy Robinson, as this was a civil case, are those directly connected with their defence of the legal case against him - basically lawyers' fees, those of expert witnesses where there are any (though I can't see why there would be any here), and other expenses necessarily incurred in the defence of the case.

The normal costs award sees the Judge deciding that not all costs claimed were reasonably incurred, so it's rare for the claimant to pay ALL the defendant's costs. In some cases, if the losing party is found to have behaved unreasonably, the costs award can require them to pay ALL costs, whether reasonably incurred or not, but that's a rare occurrence.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

tomo, I can't help thinking that Tommy Robinson was just after the publicity. He must know that his chances of winning cases against the state are small indeed, unless he has an extremely good case.

I note that the BBC had relegated the story to the local news section of their website until the moment when he lost, at which point it was rapidly promoted to the main news page. I suspect that if he had won, it would have remained on the local news section of the website.

I'm no supporter of Tommy Robinson, far from it, but I can't help thinking that the BBC has adopted a highly partisan position in its reporting of any news to do with him.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:39 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark

- that's quite expensive publicity - the case was sitting around unremarked for a while - but I know that civil cases can be glacial.

I wonder at the harassment ticket - not very fashionable these days - human rights seems the all purpose vehicle these days for that sort of stuff.

The BBC's approach to reporting on all sorts of matters is partisan - suppression of information and overt promotion of dodgy stuff are imho rather depressingly common on a swathe of subjects where staff seek to manipulate reporting.

I see Paul Homewood is heading for double digits in successful complaints about climate BS, I suspect he succeeds because he's very persistent and quite prominent - the complaints process is tailored to grind down challenges.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM | Mark Hodgson
+ Mar 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM | tomo

Thank you!

We must now await the considered legal opinion of Tommy Robinson's Lawyers about the relative merits of Appealing the Verdict, and the "Defendant's Costs".

Any breakdown of Defendant's Costs may be released/leaked for publicity and scrutiny, and £20,000 does seem like a rounded figure of convenience, that could, on Appeal, be an under or over estimate.

Tommy Robinson may be facing unrelated Legal Action himself, and comparisons with this case are inevitable, even if no Precedent is set
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/7861335/syrian-boys-family-vow-to-sue-tommy-robinson-over-claims-bullied-refugee-was-targeted-in-revenge-for-attacking-a-girl/

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:58 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

\\ Mar 15, 2019 at 10:00 PM tomo
If TR had a really strong case he'd have been paid off and NDA'd - so I'd say that he was badly advised - unless the intent was to signal that TR is a victim - which seems a bit daft tbh.//

If you'd checked TR's FB* page then you'd know that TR has a number of ongoing legal actions
against the police and media
He has ALWAYS stated that it is not about the money
and that Cambridgeshire Police twice offered him a cash settlement, but no apology

His point of taking it to court was for the apology.

I followed the case thru Wednesday and it seemed the normal stitch up
Perhaps someone can tell me of another occasion when the police applied a Sectiom 35 order to someone who was with their kids ?

* The FB page was closed on totally spurious charges ...
Just as there are Vegans, and there are violent animals rights activists
TR has always been anti-terrorism and condemned all no matter what side it comes from.
TR condemns Islam he doesn't condemn Muslims or wish violence against them.
He now has https://www.tr.news

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:12 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

The Groupthink behaviour hits Chelsea Clinton
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/03/is_chelsea_clinton_islamophobic_now.html

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:26 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen

I took seriously against FB at a very early stage - possibly quite irrationally - and even though many friends and colleagues have tried to coax me to use it I am still resisting 10+ years on. I don't care for Zuck and everything I've heard and read about the company simply hardens my stance.

Thanks for the perspective - I'd say TR needed to move his online stance and go independent, serving content to the likes of FB rather then using them as a platform - a mistake in my estimation. www.tr.news is very late to the party ....

I'm familiar with loads.of.money reputational legal stuff and I can understand the wish to get an apology - but bureaucrats and especially state bureaucrats will resist tooth and nail. He would have been far, far better served if he'd gone along with the pay-off and played them mercilessly through it it and kept records - optionally breaking any gagging clause. The pay-off hasn't figured in any coverage - no surprise there.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:22 AM | Registered Commentertomo

TRnews : The Usual time wasting and postment tricks
TOMMY Robinson’s ‘contempt’ case at the Old Bailey that was due to take place on the 22nd March relating to contempt of court has been adjourned until at least May.

The activist, who was unlawfully jailed last year will have more charges brought against him in May after the British Government deemed it was ‘the public interest’ to do so.

The activist was set to face contempt of court proceedings AGAIN, for reporting on the case of a Muslim grooming gang in Leeds last year, in which he was unlawfully jailed behind a cloak of secretiveness and a media ban, which Politicalite broke to bring out the news of his jailing to the people
https://www.tr.news/court-delay-tommy-robinson-contempt-case-adjourned-until-may

Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

I find paradoxically so many pages against TR are full of hate
An example they are happy to make placards
: falsely labelling him a "fascist"
: saying he is the same as mass killer Brevnik "Different Faces" .."Same Hatred"
http://uaf.org.uk/2018/05/press-release-fascist-and-racist-criminal-tommy-robinson-jailed-for-13-months

Of course the page has no correction note about the Leeds trial being overturned
.. I'd bet almost zero lib-establishment stories had a correction note added ..and still say he was jailed for 13 months.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:17 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

GC: after telling you to get your information direct, rather than through the MSM filter, you respond by linking me.... to MSM filters.

View this.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM | Unregistered CommenterRadical Rodent

Radical Rodent, is it more Pay Per Propaganda?

https://www.canadalandshow.com/caolan-robertson-why-left-rebel/

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:05 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Is thay you admitting that you will not even look at the evidence? Are facts irrelevant to you, in this case?

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:59 PM | Unregistered CommenterRadical Rodent

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:59 PM | Radical Rodent

With a track record of crime including drugs and violence, and now allegations flying between Ezra Levant and his former UK colleagues/friends/employees/agents, what is the evidence that should be considered honest?

He mentions being targeted by Extremists benefitting from Crowd Funding, and they have threatened his family. He may be telling the truth. What is the difference between Extremist Left and Extremist Right? I got bored at that point.

Yes, they all should be subject to Police scrutiny, and charges brought forward.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:17 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

"GC: after telling you to get your information direct, rather than through the MSM filter, you respond by linking me.... to MSM filters.
View this.
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM | Radical Rodent"

Do you think this story is a fair example of why most people think that Tommy Robinson is an unreliable and hypocritical liability? Tommy Robinson keeps playing the victim card, and involving his children. He is happy to determine guilt without trial or reliable evidence.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/7861335/syrian-boys-family-vow-to-sue-tommy-robinson-over-claims-bullied-refugee-was-targeted-in-revenge-for-attacking-a-girl/
"WE WANT JUSTICE Syrian boy’s family vow to SUE Tommy Robinson over claims bullied refugee was targeted in revenge for ‘attacking a girl’
In a clip online, shameless Robinson accused the refugee of "not being that innocent" and spread claims he allegedly "attacked a girl"

By Erica Doyle Higgins
29th November 2018, 7:41 pmUpdated: 29th November 2018, 7:41 pm
THE family of the Syrian boy who was 'waterboarded' by a classmate has vowed to SUE Tommy Robinson after he claimed the teen "attacked a girl".

Shameless far-right activist Robinson sparked fury after he claimed bullied schoolboy Jamal was targeted in a revenge attack.In a video posted online to followers, Robinson accused the refugee of "not being that innocent" and spread claims he allegedly "hit a girl with a hockey stick".

He fumed: "He violently attacked young English girls in his school. Why is this kid being portrayed as the ultimate victim in the entire country?"

His comments caused outrage online as many accused him of trying to spread hate - and now the Syrian family's lawyer told The Sun Online that they are considering legal actions over the claims."

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:15 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

\\ THE family of the Syrian boy who was 'waterboarded' //

That is certainly not true
if you've watch the video you can see that the boy quickly has half a small bottle emptied over him and then quickly got up
... not a nice incident , but typical of what happens at school and happened to most of us sometime.
.. It was not waterboarding.

Fridays papers reported that as a result of Social Media action the CPS had considered a charge of "racially aggrevated assault" but didn't find the evidence to
and instead the boy was given a caution for section 39 assault.

AFAIK the video first came up on TR's FB page after the school said they had already dealt with the October incident

The full discussion was on the TR's Facebook page
..and yes TR did say that he'd been given info that Syrian boy had been involved in an attack on a girl.
.. then within hours he issued an apology saying he'd been misinformed and wished he had not put his faith in that particular source.
Of course those Facebook posts were deleted by FB on false pretexts
Although you can full much of the discussion by looking through TRs old YouTube videos.

There is another story
"Troubled Almondbury Community School is being 'rushed towards closure' meeting is told"

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:13 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

hmmm....

not that I'm expecting a level playing field anytime soon - but the filters fail sometimes...

May 3, 2019 at 11:39 AM | Registered Commentertomo

BBC hack bleating about latest TR trial.

Wondering if he knows who was trying to shut down Ezra Levant during last trial?

May 15, 2019 at 3:49 PM | Registered Commentertomo