Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Smart Meters

When our existing dual supply contract expired in April, I reluctantly stayed with my "big 6" supplier, as despite doing a lot of homework on which smaller supplier me might move to, I was concerned about the financial viability of the smaller companies, consequent on the Covid-19 panic.

The good news is that they haven't pestered me once about smart meters since then. If they do, I shall simply use Covid-19 as a good reason why I won't let them near our house to install one.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:41 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

gawd

Smart Energy GB "not for profit" are extending their "game changer" campaign with a procession of new characters - ad nauseam

Still a bulging charity kitty in PR land then.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:01 AM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, the most recent tweet, currently,on their twitterfeed is this:

"Smart meters aren't a solution for everything ☔ But they can help us use less energy (requires customer action)."

Requires customer action.....

So much for smart meters then.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark

primarily futile railing on my part :-)

I know roughly how much these goons trouser for their efforts and that they are just ad-men in disguise - I wonder if they qualify for business rates relief as a CIC .... parasites.

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:55 PM | Registered Commentertomo

How much do Climate Scientists take from Australians at the moment?

http://joannenova.com.au/2020/08/new-report-australians-pay-1300-hidden-climate-bill-each-year/
"The parasites take ;$1,300 per household each year in Australia
Australians could save $13 billion dollars a year if they weren’t forced to pay for pagan climate witchery."

"If the bill collector knocked at the door and demanded $1,300 dollars each year to try to stop storms and floods a century from now, there would be riots in the streets. Instead the money is buried in complexity and taken in slices through unlabeled bills and receipts throughout the year. We list the GST. Imagine if we listed “the Climate Tax”?

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:34 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Today's Times : weekend section has Smartmeter wrap around advert with RSPB cooperation
we all paid for that, not magic unicorns

I see such advertising spends quite a lot of times a month
And usually there's a lot of radio adverts

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:34 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Hmmm...

Smart Energy UK

£40,000,000 buys a lot of tripe

"Electricity licensees must, by law, pay annual dues to Smart Energy GB. " >>> so kind a BBC style arrangement then?

Quite a few snouts been in that particular trough.

What happened to Bob Geldof? and mascots Gaz & Leccy?

Worth remembering that BBC enforcers Crapita are still getting loadsamoney for this rubbish going forwards....

I see Citizens Advice and a menagerie of municipal quangos and "Energy CIC" outfits are getting money from the kitty too....

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:40 AM | Registered Commentertomo

Can someone confirm whether or not the latest generation of smart meters (SMETS2 ?) have the facility to reduce capacity or even shut off entirely by remote command?
Some years ago I read a report from a govt working group chaired by David McKay which made clear that demand management was the intention but I haven't seen anything more. I don't think Deben's mob have published anything, for example.
There have been lots of rumours that they will enable demand management but I haven't come across anything definitive. I can understand that they may allow remote shut off but I struggle to see how they could "throttle" demand because, to just close off heavy consumer units, they would have to wired into the switchboard in some way.
It would be good to know the definitive situation.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

MikeHig

I bought a Smart Meter of likely dodgy provenance on eBay with the intention of conducting a teardown. It has a unique address baked in and 2 pole 100A contactor so - yes - they can cut you off arbitrarily - make sense really - but will they use it to manage demand rather than isolate delinquent payers?

Interesting to read about Switzerland and Smart Meters> - I had a colleague (30 years ago) who lived in Switzerland and he told me that some buildings have time constrained high current circuits for washing machines - so I'd expect the Swiss cantons to be well versed in demand management...

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:36 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Decode your neighbor's Smart Meter?

https://twitter.com/BitBangingBytes/status/1390145950887337992

May 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo: that link was gibberish to me! Does it really mean that it is (or will be) possible to hack into smart meters?

btw, thanks for that post of last Nov. I missed it at the time. So these meters can definitely cut supply but, as expected, it is an all-or-nothing option. I guess the facility to cut off just the heavy users will need "smart" switchboards and/or internet-enabled appliances.
If/when consumers are cut off, I wonder how they will be notified. A message could be sent via the display unit but, anecdotally, nearly all of those are languishing in drawers and cupboards!

May 11, 2021 at 10:04 AM | Unregistered CommenterMikeHig

https://youtu.be/kli-hRqRAys

Smart Meter claimed vulnerability

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:01 PM | Registered Commentertomo

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/18349127/charged-electricits-edf-complained-smart-meter-right/

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:33 PM | Registered Commentertomo