Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > President Trump

gc

that is all true - but doesn't go *nearly* far enough - it is a *very* oppressive place and not just thuggish at the top by any measure.

An absolutely frightful crowd

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM | Registered Commentertomo

gc
that is all true - but doesn't go *nearly* far enough - it is a *very* oppressive place and not just thuggish at the top by any measure.
An absolutely frightful crowd
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM | tomo

That is the impression I got about Climate Scientists, particularly their abuse of the Peer Review process.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:27 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

It s simply amazing how this bloated thread swallows and engorges other topics that have, at most, a tenuous link with the GREAT ONE. Post after post are absorbed that could easily, and perhaps profitably have been transferred elsewhere. Now we are discussing the Saudis and what a self-imposed and ungrateful refugee should do about suing his hosts (yes their are, or were, links to Trump, but we are not discussing those). One of the few anchors, dragging you back to the thread topic is Phil Clarke, who brings you all ranting and raving in defence of the GREATEST ONE, regardless of what offence he has committed - like the latest Trump praise for a Republican who carried out a. physical assault upon a reporter. Fantastic lack of bias folks (NOT).

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, Ecuador and Saudi Arabia DO present challenges to Trump as a person, President, World Leader etc. His deeds and words have not caused either problem, but he has to deal with the consequences.

The Moslem World of politics, rivalries, feuds, personalities, corruption, jealousy etc is rather more complex than most in the UK understand. I know sufficient to know that it is far more complex than anything I think I understand. Sunni v Shi ite is just a starter.

The Cold War rarely involved the US and USSR exchanging gunfire. It was done via proxies. A similar "war" is being fought between the Saudis and Iran. The US, UK, EU and most of the rest of the World would suffer if Iran became undisputed champions of the Moslem vision for the rest of the world.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:21 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

You claimed Gergis proved Mann.
Was that a deliberate mistake or lie, by you, Gergis, and Mann?

You made this claim multiple times, it is not true. I actually said that the Gergis reconstruction has a hockey stick curve, which is the case. It could not prove the original Mann HS studies, as they were Northern Hemisphere and Gergis covers Australasia. As I have pointed out multple times.

See here and here for alternative views on Mr Montford's book and its factual errors.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Gosh, now Phil bloats this thread with material having nothing to do with the GREAT ONE.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

GolfCharlie
"Supertroll, Ecuador and Saudi Arabia DO present challenges to Trump as a person, President, World Leader etc. His deeds and words have not caused either problem, but he has to deal with the consequences."

Not disputed, but HOW the GREAT ONE is specifically affected, or WHAT he says or does is pertinent. But it is not these aspects that are being discussed here, and it is this point that I am making. This thread is sucking the life out of others, it's almost a rival for the Unthreaded.

I cannot recall Phil ever posting at Unthreaded: is it protected by garlic or something?

(Look, now I'm doing it: bloating this GREAT ONE thread!)

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Too many William M Connolley factual fabrications?

We'll never know. Watts gave no reason, my posts just stopped appearing one day. Everything I posted was 100% true and, so I thought, expressed within the rules of the site.

Looking back, he did me a favour.

TTFN

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Supertroll, isn't that the point?

Trump has been smeared accused etc from the outset, and given no credit for his achievements as US President. He has done things in a style and manner that is "different" and got results that benefit the US, its ctizens and economy. That is what he said he would do.

His negotiation "style" is blunt. North Korea was rattled, now the ball is in China's court to deal with, and how they hope to maintain trade with the US. He has instigated these changes in Diplomacy.

Presumably to maintain peace in the Middle East, he has reversed the abandonment of Israel, and welcomed the changes in Saudi Arabia under its new Leader. Then sh¡t happened, big time. The Saudis denied everything.

Trump sent "His" man out there. The Saudis have now admitted on TV that Khassoggi is dead. Judge Trump on what happens next?

Turkey is no ally of Trump or KSA. How come they have recordings of a murder within the Embassy? What else have they been recording within other Embassies, and who has the tapes? How many other countries will have sent emergency plumbers to their Embassies in Turkey?

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:54 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

GolfCharlie. My vow to only discuss the GREAT ONE on this thread prevents me from answering most of your latest question or bebutting your errors.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Now we are discussing the Saudis - who've treated the US president as a gofer over 30+ years... DJT seems the only president in recent times who might actually reel them in.

a self-imposed and ungrateful refugee should do about suing his hosts - in which I agree with the Democrats that Assange and Co. tipped the balance towards DJT.

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM | Registered Commentertomo

or bebutting your errors.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM | Supertroll

Happy to be corrected, but leave my bebutt alone.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:13 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

I won't link to the photos but DJT has got to be on very shaky ground indeed if he goes with "tripped and fell into a bonesaw while having a fist fight with 15 special forces operatives"

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM | Registered Commentertomo

If you want to assault a journalist with presidential approval, just make sure he's from the Guardian.

If you want to drug and dismember a journalist, just make sure you're the head of state of a company with $billions in US trade.

Simples!

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterPhil Clarke

Phil

I very much doubt he was drugged - not Saudi style

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM tomo

Phil Clarke believes in Mann's Hockey Stick. Trump doesn't. Whatever else his faults may be, gullibility is not an issue for Trump.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

fwiw / fyi

Saudi style

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:58 AM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, interesting link .......

"5.  IMO Trump, Pompeo et al are seeking a way to preserve the relationship of the US with this demoniacal relic of the medieval past.  My WAG on this is that MBS and company will construct a suitable fall guy group from whom confessions will be extracted claiming them to be "rogues" and then the "conspirators" will be executed, probably in public."

Ever since OPEC, under Saudi leadership decided to control the World Economy, all Leaders of the World's dominant economies have had to show some respect towards the Saudis, for varying degrees of mutual benefit

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/opec-enacts-oil-embargo

I had not reached my teens in 1973/4, but the idea that "oil would run out by 2000" was an accepted "fact".

Trump has reinstated sanctions, including oil exports, against Iran, and has changed the economics and cashflow of those that oppose the Saudis.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

gc

Quite odd really that there's the Saudis ordering around the leaders of the free world and Venezuela disappearing up its own behind....

The Saudis (and Gulfies) have cynically cultivated influence over UK politicians and establishment - the USA isn't immune either - beyond bribing HRC there is the matter of "Bandar Bush" and much else.

Given that the House of Saud is in this symbiotic relationship with the Wahabists and they essentially regard the rest of us as unclean dumb animals what could possibly go wrong?

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:13 PM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, the 1973/4 oil crisis led to UK Miner's Strikes. The increase in oil price meant it was economic to explore the North Sea.

Trump is trying to make the USA self sufficient in RELIABLE power, and immune to conflicts that create fuel shortages and sudden price rises in the rest of the world, not just the USA. The Saudis and US still need each other to maintain political stabilijty in the Middle East, including Israel, but the Saudis (and others) are now less able to threaten the US economy.

This is a genuine test for Trump as a World Statesman.

Thomas Beckett was murdered, by those believing they were carrying out the Orders of the King, and became more powerful as a force dead, than he was alive. He became a Martyr, in the manner that Obama was keen to make sure that wealthy Saudi Arabian Osama bin Laden did not.

Trump's opponents do include many of the Saudi's opponents. This is a gift for all of them, that was not manufactured by Trump. Erdogan has been ostracised by UK, EU and USA for good reasons, and Trump's opponents need to be wary of the "my enemies' enemy is my friend" principle.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:09 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

gc

Khasshoggi a martyr? - hardly - a victim of a brutal tribal power struggle morelike. The Wahabbists want to wipe the Shia (and many others) off the face of the planet. One can see the Gulfie tribal chiefs (except the Qataris - and that isn't an endorsement) queuing up to suck up to the Saudis already.

Quite how this plays into American foreign policy must be giving DJT's crew some sleepless nights. The peninsula might just kick off - which is a possibility that the Omanis seem to have considered = inviting the British Army complete with main battle tanks out for some winter sunshine,,,,,

Better get fracking.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:45 AM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, there will be attempts to make Khashoggi into a martyr.

Was it something to do with Turkey, meetings, correspondence etc that led to his death, or something communicated within the Saudi Embassy, (that just happened to be in Turkey) on his initial visit?

The Crown Prince has now offered condolences to Khashoggi's family. The opening play in any bartering?

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:09 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

inviting the British Army complete with main battle tanks out for some winter sunshine,,,,,

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:45 AM tomo

Does Mark Urban know whether desert camo paint is dark enough to fry an egg on, in winter sun?

Keep calm. Frack on!

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

GC - I'm seeing stuff that hints at JK likely disrespected HRH on the telephone shortly before his arrival at the consulate + demise - the conversation was intercepted......

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:58 PM | Registered Commentertomo

tomo, BBC News now acknowledging that Erdogan is drip feeding information that he has had all along, to maximise its effect, and queries why.

BBC News also voicing concerns about whether Turkey has infomation "obtained" from within other Embassies.

To keep this in the context of this Thread ...... have Agencies within the USA known about this all along, and when did Trump know?!

Or was it the Russians/Assange/Soros/Chinese/Green Blob?

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie