Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > President Trump

How many empty, yet overladen, vessels in the harbour, RR? Oh Kampuchea, my Kampuchea, how do we count the skulls, the vision's turned some blurry, the spectacles all crystal knocked?
==================

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:29 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim

I fear that we may be in danger of taking this too lightly; this has happened many times in the past, and the only true means to defend against it is by resorting to what many – even on this site – will decry and ridicule, most without doing the slightest modicum of research, as it would involve studying a book that few have read, but many appear to be expert on.

For those who have cottoned on, and may wish to laugh, start by asking yourself these: why is it so openly ridiculed in the mainstream media, when they dare not offer the slightest criticism of others? Why is it treated with the same disdain that sceptics experience, with no evidence, and precious few opportunities for a pro-voice to be heard?

You might praise yourself for identifying one enormous scam, but that does not necessarily mean that you have not been sucked into other scams.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:31 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Did the BBC explain that Trump's special measures country list came from Saint Obama ?
Did they explain simply why Saudi is not on the list ?

Their gov passes on reliable info about journiers to US government.
Warzone countries don't.

Everytime they open the phonelines little old ladies keep phoning in and saying "I can see the media is only giving half the story"

They don't realise yet about fake narrative construction.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:53 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A million signatures on the Whitehall petition? How much of that is just simple a superiority complex against our American cousins. Dumb, stupid, rednecks I guess.

What I do not understand is that the UK has its own border wall, it is called the sea and we have done everything in our history to defend it. We still do. How can we lecture on immigration when we refused to join Schengen? Why do people think the Calais refugee camps existed?

As someone who travelled across the UK border many many times with non British passport holders, the Brits have always been "famous" for the trouble they caused normal border traffic (non-refugees). They made many nationalities think "they were lucky to enter Britain". The superiority complex and off-hand manner of British Embassy staff re visas and passports was designed to make the process as unpleasant and off-putting as possible. It was belittling.

Trump hasn't banned muslims, he followed through with a temporary ban on previously highlighted entry routes. It is isn't perfect. Bur perfectly within the rights of a country to enforce. Maybe they should change the petition approve button to a THUMBS UP to mimic the Colosseum.

This perfection that Trump is suddenly setting a precedence against doesn't exist and certainly not for the UK.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterMedia Hoar

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/16/anjem-choudary-convicted-of-supporting-islamic-state

If non-extremist/radicalised Moslems living within the UK, EU and USA could provide some assistance to the countries that have provided them with a safe refuge from whatever they were seeking to escape from, their problems would not keep following them, and causing problems for those offering sanctuary.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:40 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

MH, I often observed that the US border controls, when crossing near Seattle-Vancouver, were much more polite than the Canadian ones (I travelled on a US passport, but my companions often didn't).

My bigger complaint was simply the queues at North-American points of entry when arriving by plane: Often long for everybody, especially when compared to Heathrow. (It was quite refreshing when coming the other way to see lines that moved quickly and agents who didn't seem slightly angry or aggressive at merely having to be dealing with you at all.)

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

Michael I have driven that Seattle Vancouver border post (on my way to driving around Washington State).

"Is this your car Sir?"
"No, it's a hire car"
With a lot of friendly mockery, "Oh you're a Brit?, only Brits call them those, please pull in behind behind the building." Inside the atmosphere was like walking into a small-town courthouse in mid America somewhere.

I got stopped for speeding by the Highway Patrol. I made the mistake of getting our of the car, which he took as sign of aggression. Once I played the polite, stupid, ignorant Brit, he was fine and let me off with a warning.

I took it for granted when going back the other way, and had a lot of explaining to do about my trip. The contempt the Brits show for the Yanks, isn't anywhere near what the Canucks show for them.

JFK was awful re the Officers. Surly, miserable, one syllable speech. I thought it was deliberate to detect any lies. The old terminals at JFK were disgusting places probably to work at too. And when I flew into new terminal the whole experience changed including passport control.

I was talking to someone who was involved and said it was an awful entry to the country. They acknowledged the problem and were trying to change it. This was about 10 years ago. But as someone who brought non-British girlfriends and wives back the UK, and travelled in with non-British companions, the UK was no better. Just with a "please" and a "thank you".

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterMedia Hoar

MH- I have to agree with you re UK border controls. I have taken US guests to places in Europe and the hostility they face wither at UK airports or at Dover is quite shocking. I got to showing them the flight tickets to convince them that these Amuricans were not going to be long-term residents. However, why not English-speaking, hard-working folks rather than the people who sit in Piccadilly and beg?

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:15 PM | Unregistered Commenterdiogenes

MH, OK, we're getting off-topic, but the funniest encounter I ever had at that border was in the 1980's. Three of us crossed the border by car, bearing UK, US and Australian passports. Our accents were variously varied mixtures of English, American, Australian and Northern-Irish. Probably not even obvious to us.

The border agent, who had been slightly pompous and officious, got a bit matey with us when trying to hand us back our passports based on who's accent he thought should match the passport. We weren't immediately helpful, but everyone got a good laugh in the end after he'd embarrassed himself about five times.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:49 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

5 Mins ago LeftMob told us popularism is a really bad thing that led to Brexit and Trump

Now, it Celebrates Popularism
.."Ooh look at this ..Lots of people signing a petition and demonstrating against Trump !"
20 min of reports on the 10pm news today

.--------------
Ironically the MSM build up that hysteria
By day after day reporting half a story on Trump and then manufacturing False-Narrative from that
eg
- He got a low inauguration crown
- He's obsessed and called the press liars
- May should tell him
- He's Banning Muslims

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:10 PM | Unregistered CommenterStewGreen

Milo on Climate Change...

And on today's events... I haven't gotten around to processing everything yet. It certainly isn't to do with an American President tightening entry rules for 3 months (the non-MSM media is full of the documented hypocrisy of those attacking Trump, when they where in power they were confronted with the sames issues.)

One thing that did occur to me was the rejection of Trump's state visit, is the same as creating a "safe space", a country wide one. My son is mystified by the whole thing. I explained to him that the whole purpose of state visits was DIPLOMACY. To let the establishments of two countries get to meet and know each other. And we have given state visits to some pretty dodgy countries in the past.

So really it again about shutting down the debate. If you disagree with Trump the State Visit is the accepted diplomatic method off getting views across in a civilised (and non threatening manner.) Even completely allowing peaceful protest along the streets.

Despite the wall-to-wall coverage and open support of the MSM, I cannot believe the irrationality and simple stupidity of the left will serve them well in the long run. Maybe I am wrong, interesting times, but I am interested the thoughts of everyday people. Why isn't there this level of protest for things closer to home?

One layer of society has found its voice in anti-Trump rhetoric and actions. What about the other layers of UK society? What are they thinking, I cannot see their views? The same happened with Brexit and of course the same thing happened with Trump.

Whilst those demonstrating against Trump comparing him to Hilter, don't you think actually these same people that would have been appeasers of Hitler? You could look at like that also. Because they are promoting similar arguments. And there was no who wanted to have less border walls than Hitler (this is a serious question, not Godwins law)

Just a parallel I haven't seen raised.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterMedia Hoar

Someone is cranking up the media to make more and more ludicrous false claims about Mr. Trump. The attacks started with the recount scam and have escalated. It is long past time for pushback....hard pushback.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:17 AM | Unregistered Commenterhunter

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:13 AM | Media Hoar

In your final paragraph you query whether some of these people now, would have been those that wanted to appease Hitler back in the 1930's. I was not born until the 1960s, however I can offer an alternative view.

Many saw the rise in Fascism in the 1930s as a reason to go and fight fascism in the Spanish Civil War, leading to wonderful romanticism about the savage brutality, and linking Soviet Communism to the solution to Hitler. The extent of damage done to British interests during WW2 by Soviet sympathisers and spies is open for debate, but after WW2, it was not just British Intelligence operations and interests that suffered damage.

Brexit and Trump do represent a backlash against the Progressive Centre-Left. It remains to be seen how the voters in other EU countries react to the forced feeding of anti Trump and Brexit rhetoric.

Moslem extremists may want to reclaim the headlines, which is in nobody's best interests, but would strengthen Trump's stance and those of other EU Exiteers

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:59 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Media Hoar. I usually do not agree with most of your opinions but it would be boring to comment. However, I do agree with you about Trump's visit. It should take place but not necessarily for the reasons you suggest. What the demonstrati here fail to realize is that to ban Trump would be an insult to both the man and the office he holds. The UK is inviting the latter and is absolutely right to do so. As you pointed out, we have invited some real despots in the past, but in each case it was the office-holder that was invited.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:28 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

If Trump had simply waited for the first terrorist attack then he would have had a smooth ride to introducing immigration security tightening.
That is the usual political trick, bit tough on the terrorist victims though.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

stewgreen on Jan 31, 2017 at 12:00 PM
"If Trump had simply waited for the first terrorist attack then he would have had a smooth ride to introducing immigration security tightening."

In Europe, they appear to be waiting for something that hasn't happened yet and haven't yet told the public what that is.

Have they stopped handing out teddy bears yet?

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:25 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Heh, waiting for 9/11. Europe's avoided it by calling it 11/9 and that number goes nowhere.
===============

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:15 PM | Unregistered Commenterkim
Jan 31, 2017 at 4:17 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

OK ... yeah... I don't like much of anything about BBC3.

but the bunch of moronic goons there appear to be in the first stages of beatifying Dorking's finest son for his effort to shoot one Donald Trump. If Sandford jnr. has gender ishoos too I think he's going to be a real cause célèbre with BBC-GMG.

They've apparently done a documentary on the fwit. Pretty typical - prurient TV click bait that's the channel's specialty.

I thought BBC3 was going to be euthanised as nobody watched it because it was a pisspoor, ignorant, talent-less puerile lefty sneering forum for recent arts grads and wannabe media hustlers.

Your TV Tax at work

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:42 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Maybe Mr. Trump reminded The King about the third Pillar of Islam?

Looks quite straightforward - picks up the phone - "hey, how come you guys aren't taking any refugees?"

It remains to be seen if thre's any substance to it and if the bad boys can be winnowed out.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:35 PM | Registered Commentertomo

Warren Meyer is always well worth a read when discussing things American.

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/tag/health-care

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:19 AM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

He still thinks 'world-leading climate change scientist' is something of which to be proud:
The Independent: World-leading climate change scientist calls for 'rebellion' against Donald Trump
Professor Michael Mann says the US is ‘firmly back in the madhouse’ as new president launches ‘dizzying, ongoing assault on science

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:37 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:49 PM | Martin A

It will be interesting to see how this alters the price of oil, gas, and coal. They may reduce, as the value of companies producing them rises.

I can't see this benefitting those that invested in Unreliable energy.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

gc - No.

And very interesting to listen to Myron Ebell's opinions on how President Trump's administration will tackle energy issues. Probably the best informed guess currently available as to how things will progress.
GWPF & FPA Press Briefing with Myron Ebell. 30 January 2017.

And impressive to listen to his calm and measured response to Harrabin's loaded questions and harangue.
https://youtu.be/JvWMfAk47_Q?t=3055

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A