Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Urban Heat Island Effect - Is It Real?

ACK, thank you for the clarification about the SE Pacific underpass and traffic lights. A marine biologist I knew, visited the Galapogos and understood why no one from the Beagle investigated the marine biology of the Galapogos, and why the marine iguanas have to spend time sunbathing on the rocks before and after every swim. It is blooming cold!

Does the name Humboldt feature in geology textbooks? His name survives in place names and currents, and written on the underside of penguins.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:42 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

golfCharlie. I somehow doubt his name occurs in modern geology textbooks. I never had cause to mention him, but I do know of him. I don't remember if he was mentioned when I was an undergraduate.

Why written on the underside of eponymous penguins?

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterACK

ACK, Humboldt was a celebrated and noted explorer and scientist. All we in the UK know him for is a Current and a Penguin, which hardly makes for a healthy lunchbox. He named a squid aswell, which must be difficult with a marker pen.

His name is a common place name in atlases, I wondered whether geology also honours him.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:27 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Watts Up shows a new and pertinent study.
========

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:52 AM | Unregistered Commenterkim

kim 12:52 do you mean this one?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/09/22/new-usgs-study-shows-heat-retaining-concrete-and-asphalt-have-encroached-upon-us-climate-stations/

lots of interesting links too.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:13 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Thanks kim and gc.

I need to read the full report to be sure of the details (and the paper's robustness) but my preliminary thought is that since it covers the period 2001 - 2011, it's a useful update to Petersen. Like Petersen, however, I suspect it covers only the contiguous USA, but to that extent it is a useful counterpoint to Petersen.

I particularly liked this comment from Anthony Watts, which I think mirrors the views of most of us on here:

"What this suggests, is that like Las Vegas, which has had huge infrastructure boosts in the last 50 years, that the minimum temperature is creeping upwards, and that biases the mean temperature used to look for the “global warming signal”.  NOAA would do well to remove stations that have been encroached upon like this, but they stubbornly hold onto this flawed data, insisting they can “adjust” it to be accurate. I say bollocks to that. Since the USA is so highly over-sampled with thousands of weather stations, it is far better to discard noisy and imperfect data, and use only those stations that have not been biased by infrastructure increases, but retain only the best stations with pristine data."

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:27 AM | Unregistered CommenterMark Hodgson

Mark Hodgson, it all brings me back to the concept of looking at records of first daffodil in flower etc at places like Chatsworth and Blenheim Palace.

I do not doubt that spring might be a week earlier, but I doubt anything particularly dramatic, in comparison to the end of the LIA. Which then leaves the basic question of, so what? What exactly is the problem?

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:26 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Mark Hodgson. There is also an interesting comment attached to the report on changing urban environments that makes the point that rural sites may undergo important changes also. Worth thinking about.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM | Unregistered CommenterACK

ACK 10:08 sort of why my previous comments about glider pilots looking for thermals generated by wheat fields. If in still conditions a change in crop can cause thermals hundreds of feet in the air, it must be drawing in more air from the wider area at ground level.

I doubt any such breeze would spin a wind turbine, but someone somewhere, has probably had more taxpayer funding to investigate....

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:35 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie