Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > First steps towards a sucessful Brexit

Dung on Jul 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM

It does look like she was a very reluctant Remainer and had been doing a lot of thinking behind that sofa :)

The new department for international trade (which includes the Commonwealth), filled by a Brexiter, is encouraging, as was the sacking, and the splitting of Foreign Affairs into the EU and RoW is a clever move.

The World has moved on, more than many Britons (and Geldof) have done, and have accepted our decision, and are seeing opportunities, so I can only see this attitude continuing. It will be refreshing to be able to have hope for the future and to discuss it openly and freely and not be ridiculed (so much): it is one of two changes in climate that have been so important to rectify. I wonder when the second will be addressed? I also wonder how many of her supporters are not surprised at this new direction, and how many are?

Yes, problems will arise, but many across the World, but Europe in particular, will be seeing what can be done when responsibility and reward is returned to the country.

The Brexiters still need to be vigilant, but they are allowed to give praise when praise is due.

I see May's Cabinet appointments are the "First steps towards a successful Brexit".

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

It seems to me most of the talk about Brexit is the concern about trade, forgetting about all the other aspects that Europe has wrapped the UK up with. If we keep pumping money into the EU as normal surely its in Brussels interest to prolong our exit even longer than the EU reputation for negotiations indicates. The two year time frame is meaningless and unenforceable. Wouldn't introducing a trade tariff asap and drop our contributions speed the progress of negotiations to disentangle ourselves from the rest of the European garbage we have got ourselves wound up in.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Details about the new Brexit department are still emerging, but it is likely to take the lead in negotiating Britain's departure from the EU and unpicking the thousands of pages of EU rules written into UK law.

Theresa May was reported to have ordered civil servants to find a building for the new department.

The DECC building?

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A

Robert Christopher, Martyn & Martin A

BoJo at the FO = BREXIT is go

Tearing up trade deals is not in the best interests of the EU or UK. This information will have started to filter through to the rest of the EU by now. Merkel has been aware of this since before BREXIT.

French Trade Unions are in a position to make a delicate situation over use of the Channel Tunnel and Ferries, into a big problem for the UK, but this will make matters worse for the EU, and possibly for France and FREXIT, which Hollande will want to avoid.

As BREXIT proceeds, the RoW will be watching carefully, especially the USA, China and other parts of the Far East. They will want some kind of guaranteed trade foothold in Europe, should other EU-EXITS seem likely.

Disagreements between the Northern Countries of the EU, and those in the South are going to continue, because the EU has not solved the financial problems of the Southern EU, and they are unable to cope with the humanitarian problems created by promises from Merkel.

There are going to be difficult times ahead for the UK, but worse is yet to come for the EU. The Labour Party are currently guaranteeing no viable opposition after the next General Election either, so 6 years of political stability should see the UK through BREXIT, and possibly stronger in Europe, than within the EU.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:41 AM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Martin A
If you remember the BBC Radio programme Men From The Ministry then DECC could be sent to Archives at Ballymucky, or the modern equivalent.

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:35 AM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

I see May's Cabinet appointments are the "First steps towards a successful Brexit".
Jul 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM Robert Christopher

Yes.

The very first step in any enterprise is getting the right people to take on the responsibilities.

"Brexit means Brexit"

So it seems she means it.
Eurosceptic Boris Johnson Foreign Secretary.
Eurosceptic David Davis Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.
Eurosceptic Liam Fox International Trade Secretary.

My fears that there would be constitutional crisis after crisis as a 'remain' parliament jockeyed to thwart the result of the referendum seem to have been unfounded.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Ministers do not maketh a parliament. Appointments in the Whips Office will be crucial. Those knowing the whereabouts of skeletons and dark secrets needed.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:12 AM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

It just keeps getting better; Gove is sacked along with Oliver sustainability Letwin and Nicky Morgan, keep it coming Theresa ^.^

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM | Registered CommenterDung

Dung, the Green Blob have been dealt two mortal blows. Sam Cameron and Oliver Letwin.

Osborne's departure may be a signal to self interested city financiers, that they do not run the economy for their benefit. A well run economy should benefit everyone, a badly run economy can still benefit city financiers.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Theresa sending a f*Ckoff message to the junior doctors?

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

DECC vaporised? Energy may have gone to Business...

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:47 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

ssat, if DECC is vapourised, it's carbon footprint will be obliterated by green shoots of economic recovery. Turning agricultural land over to Green shoots, could replace more traditional blood sports across the EU if rapid success is established.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

I'm beginning to think that Brexit will have been worth it for having sorted out the dysfunctional UK government, with quitting the EU as a beneficial side effect.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:45 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartin A

Gavin Williamson, who was advised "to nod his head at appropriate places and fetch and carry notes", a perennial PPS, is named Chief Whip. Does he know enough secrets to be effective?

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:08 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Andrea Leadsom did not deny there were plans to get rid of her department ... "But what I can tell you is the commitment to our energy trilema, to smart meters, to all our policies will remain as strong as ever."
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/uk/974839/rumours-decc-scrapped-may-reshuffle/

DECC doomed?
http://www.thegwpf.com/uk-government-abolishes-department-of-energy-climate-change/

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:35 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Has Mrs May enacted her revenge for the childless comments of Mrs Loathsom by making her responsible for explaining to farmers why they are not getting their EU payments? Notice also how three Brexiteer egos are pitted against each other and, if the public becomes disillusioned, who will be blamed. If the triumvirate are successful, who will be praised for making good appointments?

I wonder if our new PM was up all night reading "The Prince", or does she know it by heart?

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll

Supertroll, the new Chief Whip will have access to all the little black books of secrets that his predecessors decided to leave unedited

Momentum despise the concept of Whips. They prefer bricks through the windows of those who have disobeyed orders. It is a more public way of warning people of their forthcoming attempted political assassination.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Greg Clark as Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:43 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.

BEIS not BECCIS

Has there been an outbreak of sanity?

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:56 PM | Unregistered Commenterssat

ssat

Yes it thrilled me as well and the only possible downside is that Clark was educated at LSE and was a member of the SDP. Adam Bolton noticed (*surprise surprise) that we don't know who is responsible for climate change and suggested Greg Clark but I can not see how he can cope with anymore than his job spec?

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM | Registered CommenterDung

The Climate may be left alone to Change as it sees fit.

It is a shame it has been so wet and cold this summer. Is it the worst on record for overcast doom in Climate Science forecasting?

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:18 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Mr GC

I think that the sun worshippers may be about to give the dooom mongers a bloody nose and a P45 ^.^

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:48 PM | Registered CommenterDung

So Gordon Brown's Ministry Of Silly Walks is to be dissolved into the Dept of Business & Energy. Great. All that remains is for the hundreds of highly-paid silly walks policy wonks to be given their marching orders.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:53 PM | Unregistered CommenterChilli

This must be the hottest summer in Downing Street since records began.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:49 PM | Unregistered CommenterMartyn

Mrs May is certainly not a practitioner of the dictum of keeping your enemies close or, in LBJ 's immortal words "in the tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in". Alternatively she offered Govey a position which he rejected as being a demotion.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:02 PM | Unregistered CommenterSupertroll