Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Children's Science books

Forgot to add ....

In the context of Childrens Science Books, Hubert Lamb's original guestimate of what the climate has done, seems to have been based on best information available at the time.

Childrens science books could display this, alongside Mann's Hockey Stick.

The different portrayals reflect a change in motive. A Spot the Difference competition would be a fun game for children and adults to play at school or home. Marks out of 10 for honesty and integrity could be scored, though Minus marks would be considered prejudicial.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM | Unregistered Commentergolf charlie

Raff,

Try,

Response of cloud condensation nuclei (> 50 nm) to changes in ion-nucleation
Svensmark, Enghodf, Pedersen, 2013, Physics Letters A
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physleta.2013.07.004

for a discussion of ionisation, aerosols and CCN's and references therein.

As far as using the ocean as a calorimeter and responses to the solar cycle try:

Using the oceans as a calorimeter to quantify the solar radiative forcing
Shaviv, 2008, Jour. Geophys Res.
doi:10.1029/2007JA012989

I think you'll find these useful starting points for discussion rather than the opinions of others at different blog sites.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:41 PM | Unregistered CommenterPaul Dennis

Explaining the Svensmark/Shaviv theories for young readers would make for a splendid science book, with scope for dramatic illustrations spanning space scales from nanometres to parsecs. And what child could fail to be excited by the notion of supernovae? It could begin with the problem of estimated climate variation on a wide range of timescales from minutes to many hundreds of millions of years. Explaining that here is something we do not understand, but we'd really like to, has got to be good for introducing basic aspects of scientific method. Then on to the theories to show how they could explain some of the variation, and how they might be verified, criticised, or investigated further.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM | Registered CommenterJohn Shade

Interesting WUWT item on teaching climate science and teaching climate advocacy, now sliding below the horizon. Contains within the comments some absolute horror stories about teaching climate science at university and in schools. Thought those who contributed to this thread might be interested.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:24 AM | Unregistered CommenterAK

Maybe he means this : Climate science or climate advocacy?
"Students are learning energy and climate change advocacy, not climate science Guest opinion by David R. Legates For almost thirty years, I have taught climate science at three different universities. What I have observed is that students are increasingly being fed climate change advocacy as a surrogate for becoming climate science literate. This makes them…"

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen