Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Radio & TV This Week on Climate/Energy_Policy

Next Friday 28th 20:00 BBC Radio 4 Any Questions live, repeated Sat 13:10
@ the Skegness Academy School in Lincolnshire,
features Mark Reckless the new UKIP MP
+ UK head of Siemens : Juergen Maier (nearby Lincoln has a large Siemens gas turbine business, Hull 40 miles north is to have a new Siemens £160m wind turbine factory, wind turbines along the Skegness coast seem to be very unpopular)
+ former Home Secretary Alan Johnson MP,
+ Leader of the Green Party Natalie Bennett
presented by Jonathan Dimbleby (also Green Party ?)

If you would like tickets to Any Questions in Skegness on 28th November 2014 then please email any.questions@bbc.co.uk.
Twitter@BBCAnyQuestions : If you have any questions or any answers, tweet using #bbcaq, call 03700100444 or email any.answers@bbc.co.uk

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Cuadrilla boss is on 5-6am tmw Thursday 29th
BBC R5 biz prog

Today the presenter asked "..why hasn't manufacturing taken off now after the recession, whys is it all services ?"

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:05 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Stewgreen: was that a rhetorical question, or was it a genuine question? If the latter, then pity the BBC, with reporters / presenters of such calibre.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

@RR Genuine question

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:17 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

friday night R4 Any Questions features INEOS director Tom Crotty and the usual controversial anti-fracking nuts
Jonathan Dimbleby, Lord Deben, Margaret Hodge & Cambridge LibDem MP Julian Huppert.
- from Dereham Memorial Hall in Dereham, Norfolk

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:48 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

BBC Radio 4. 20.45pm 4 February 2015

In this series Dominic Lawson interviews people who have changed their mind on controversial matters.

This week he asks the environmentalist Mark Lynas, who was once a prominent figure in direct actions to destroy genetically modified crops, why he now advocates for GM technology and what the reaction has been from his former allies.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterMessenger

Hmm Lynas GM conversion has been covered a few times on the BBc already eg 1 year ago on Hardtalk

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Tip: List of 50 people who directly compared skeptics with HOLOCAUST deniers
including

"I wonder what sentences judges might hand down at future international criminal tribunals on those who will be partially but directly responsible for millions of deaths from starvation, famine and disease in decades ahead. I put this in a similar moral category to Holocaust denial." - Mark Lynas, Environmental Activist (2006) In his blog

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:42 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

bit of an overflow post but useful comeback to antifrakkers

what type of PROVEN base load power do you support building to back up intermittent renewables? Nuclear, Coal or Gas?"

BTW there is a good new post on smearers saying they only use denier to mean people who deny GHG theory but then using it against people they know accept GHG theory by MAURIZIO MORABITO (OMNOLOGOS)
"a Believer does see the world as destined to a fiery and burning death. With the catastrophe approaching, anybody who doesn’t agree we’re a few years away from total collapse of civilization and more, is put in the D category."
“a skeptic is somebody who thinks at least some of the alarming claims made about climate change are exaggerated”

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:58 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

A good riposte for Mark Lynas, Stewgreen, might be to ask him what sentences present judges should hand down to those who are presently causing deaths from starvation, famine (are these two not linked?), disease and hypothermia? All caused by the restriction on the use of DDT (based upon one – ONE! – scare-mongering book with little scientific credentials) allowing the spread of malaria (amongst others), transferring food crops to “eco-fuel” and the imposition of falsely-high energy prices on the poor. (Questions are already being raised about the high number of deaths that are occurring in the present cold weather; I suspect that answers will be sought in all but the most obvious places.)

Mind you, having read his blog, I can only feel pity for him: “Carbon dioxide: they call it pollution; we call it life,” a truism that stuns him. Pity it cannot jolt him back to reality.

By the way, it might be a good idea to stop the use of the erroneous term “renewables” (unless it is meant that they need to be renewed at alarmingly frequent intervals, of course). Perhaps it would be better to call them “intermittent alternatives”.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:00 AM | Registered CommenterRadical Rodent

Yes mate but strictly speaking hydro is OK..except it can damage ecology
BTW Donna has a very good summary of the "Climate denial is a form of murder!” story from WUWT
..."The answer is that ordinary citizens have, for years, been force-fed a diet of dubious climate claims by governments and by government-funded education systems. " she then says the EU's 2011 "You control Climate" campaign ..planted such seeds

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Denier Lynas

Lynas Blog 21 April 2011
Yesterday I was an environmentalist. Today, according to tweets from prominent greens, and an op-ed response piece in the Guardian, I’m a “Chernobyl death denier”. My crime has been to stick to the peer-reviewed consensus scientific reports on the health impacts of the Chernobyl disaster, rather than – as is apparently necessary to remain politically correct as a ‘green’

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

- Fuel Subsidies: Idea of cutting them, now that oil prices have fallen (Malaysia and Indonesia have cut)
World service business prog is just doing a special
"Fuel Subsidies: On Their Way Out?
Fuel Subsidies: Will governments take advantage of the falling oil price to cut gasoline grants to their domestic market? We look at the economic arguments for and against with John Baffes, senior economist at the World Bank, which has long argued for the scrapping of all fuel subsidies worldwide from $550bn pa.
Plus, Katy Watson reports on the Mexican government's moves to cut subsidies and Egyptian blogger The Big Pharaoh explains the role fuel subsidies play in Egyptian politics."
- They are only putting CO2 as 3rd, behind gov money saving and avoiding inequality of subsidising rich high consumers.
- Won't oil rise again and pollies want buy votes again

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:05 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

For Once The Naked Scientists show on 5 Live is not CC batshit crazy
- There is a piece where one scientist doesn't mention climate change once ..while he talks about the massive acid geologic footprint that showed up the end of the dinosaurs ..something like massive of acid rain caused by volcano eruptions.
- Then Charles Moore gave an excellent first hand account of how he discovered the phenomenon of the giant plastic waste dump in the Pacific Doldrums . including some pockets so dense he claims he could walk across them like islands
- So excellent that I can't find any video or any real stills of islands of plastic that you can walk across ..that is a bit strange.
- He also said a strange thing .."man it's a real problem ..more animals die from this every year than die from climate change" ..Wow well where does he gets stats for animals that die from climate change .. I have never seen any hard real world evidence just vague modelling predictions
..then they talked about plastic recycling in Cambridge prog

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

the older woman plastic expert let something important slip
interviewer - "of course, the problem with plastic is it doesn't decay with bacteria!"
- "on no there are bacteria that eat plastic, but they haven't evolved to live on garbage heaps."
.. That seems to me that scope exists to treat plastic with bacteria.

- However as usual with Green there is already a solution that works, but the greens shout SCARY SCARY and we end up subsidising another option.
- My understanding is most plastic can be burnt safely if burnt in ultra high temperture furnaces as a fuel, but greens won't allow that so it ends upon stockpiles ready to be sent halfway around the world, but then catches fire at low temperature and pollutes anyway.

- Prof David McKay was on with some made up numbers that plastic recycling works in energy terms as long as it's trucked less than 600Km or shipped less than 6,000Km.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM | Registered Commenterstewgreen

Farming Today 6.30am BBC Radio 4 Today next Saturday 14th March

They will be discussing renewable energy "which can make lot of money for landowners and farmers".

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM | Unregistered CommenterMessenger