Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Slow loading of Bishop Hill today anyone

Is http://bishophill.squarespace.com/ loading slowly for everyone, or is it just my PC being silly?

Win 7 (64)
Firefox

'twas like this earlier too.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:56 PM | Unregistered Commenterunknownknowns

Ditto. And ditto the OS and browser.
It's taken the best part of a minute to load the Discussion front page then 25 seconds to load the login page then another half-a-minute to load this page.
I know that 20 years ago we would have been more than delighted with that (and my dear, think of the cost! With all that dial-up thingy and everything) but sites like this wouldn't exist if those were the conditions we had to work under now.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

It's fast for me.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Painfully slow for me (Win 7, Firefox). Has been so for the past couple of days.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

No problems. PC/Firefox.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM | Unregistered Commentermicael hart

slow in Northern France at 12:52 UK time. But usable.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

No problems with Firefox or Chrome from linux. Or my android phone.
Have you tried
http://www.bishop-hill.net/
I think we are supposed to use that, not squarespace.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM | Registered CommenterPaul Matthews

Very slow and has been for a couple of days, I'm with BT and I'm using www.bishop-hill.net. I'm not seeing this problem on other sites.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterEddy

Slow since yesterday. FranceTelecom are playing silly buggers as well but as Eddy says the problem is only with bishop-hill.net.
I've checked DT, Scotsman, Meteo France & spikedonline just to make sure it's not me. No problems, there.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

The site has been quite slow to load, for me for the past few days; I'm in London and on cable broadband, using Firefox 12.0, which admittedly is ancient - also tried with Midori 0.4.3, which is faster but only just (O/S is Linux Mint 13).

The time of day might make a difference, possibly - was going to comment this morning at around 8:15 before going to work, but ran out of time, because the page didn't load! It seems faster now (early evening) - not sure that's actually relevant, though.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM | Unregistered CommenterAlex Cull

Can you try clearing cache and deleting cookies please.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Slow for me since the day before yesterday Win7 Firefox and BB playbook but fast on iPad2. Toronto, Canada.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:18 AM | Unregistered Commenterclipe

Well, view from here, so to speak, is that after clearing cache and deleting cookies (using XP as updated as I could get it and either Chrome or Firefox) is that it's still verrry slow (except for the top ad ... which consistently comes through almost instantly).

Same problem on my iPad (using Chrome or Safari)

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:25 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

Still very slow in Normandy. Not unusable, though.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I'm in the UK, I've got the latest Firefox with cookies turned off and it works fine.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Hilary

Just to make sure, have you deleted all cookies from Squarespace.com?

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill

Bish,

Yes I have done that (now for squarespace.com too) ... it's a little faster, but not like other sites and/or that to which I've become accustomed here :-(

Also, was just checking "Preview post" on this one and it was like molasses ... except for the ad at the top! (using Chrome at the moment ... but Firefox, which I also tried, wasn't much better)

[Edit via my iPad] still not what it used to be ... but faster than it was earlier.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM | Registered CommenterHilary Ostrov

I'm also having problems - e.g. 30 seconds or more to load the front page.

I get the same problem on my computer at home (Windows 7 64-bit, Firefox, BT Broadband) and on my office computer (Vista 32-bit, Chrome, Demon). I also see the problem on the home iPad.

I just tried deleting all bishophill and squarespace cookies but I still have the problem. It started a few days ago; I've never noticed the site being slow before that.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM | Unregistered CommenterTheSkyIsFalling

I have W7/Chrome.

The headings, adverts and side panel appear after 10 to 20 seconds, which is much slower than usual, but the article summaries take well over a minute.

Accepting the update of a new post was not that slow, but the displaying of it is.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM | Registered CommenterRobert Christopher

One thing that helped me on all sites was turning Adobe Flash onto 'always ask'. It stopped long video adverts loading when I didn't want them to.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Another site I go to also slowed considerably when they added Facebook Like and Twitter buttons.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Constant timeouts here. "Problem loading page".

No other sites are giving me these problems, so I'm not going to be deleting cookies and re-starting Firefox etc etc. I realise that you don't care. It's your problem, not mine.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM | Registered CommenterHector Pascal

Pascal, if the problem is an advert, then the issue may only exist for those who are getting it. That might be based on where you are and/or your search profile. Without knowing which advert, how could the Bish cure the problem?

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

I have Flash and Silverlight disabled but I'm still getting the problem. It also occurs on the iPad, so I don't think it's a plugin issue.

Interestingly, things seem to work fine just at the moment. Has something been fixed in the last couple of hours?

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM | Unregistered CommenterTheSkyIsFalling

Not that I'm aware of.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM | Registered CommenterBishop Hill