Books
Click images for more details

Support

Twitter
Recent posts
Recent comments
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Do Chandra, Replicant and Entropic man add value to BH?

Chandra recently invited a debate on 'The science' which I presume means the science of climate change or global warming. Chandra thinks that nobody on Bishop Hill is interested in such a discussion. Unfortunately Chandra asked for this discussion in a thread designed to be a discussion about Roy Spencer's decision to call our opponents "climate Nazis".
The main thing that annoys me about him and the others is the way they disrupt discussions that Bishop Hill regulars wish to have with other BH regulars (not that they have objections to anyone joining in that discussion).
I invite Chandra et al to demonstrate their claimed good will by holding their desired debate/discussion in this thread and to stop entering other discussions and changing the subject.

To answer Chandra's request I am more than happy to discuss climate change with him for as long as he is reasonable and honest.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM | Registered CommenterDung

Having discussed a few topics with Entropic Man and Chandra over the last few months all I can say is I don't read anything Chandra posts or any of the replies.

I am quite happy to discuss things with Entropic Man, although he sometimes moves on to a new thread leaving the discussion with me hanging in mid-air. I put that down to the multiple discussions he has going on in parallel. Entropic Man seems quite civilised and polite if treated in the same way. He'll even agree that valid points have been made during a discussion, although I doubt that he'll ever change his mind on Climate Change, but he probably thinks I'll never change my mind..

So far I've missed anything from Replicant.

Entropic Man feel free to correct my impressions.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Dung,

> The main thing that annoys me about him and the others is
the way they disrupt discussions that Bishop Hill regulars
wish to have with other BH regulars

Please take a look at the Nazi thread and tell me exactly how I 'disrupted' the discussion. My first response was bang on-topic and subsequent posts addressed what others had to say about what I had said.

> To answer Chandra's request I am more than happy to
discuss climate change with him for as long as he is
reasonable and honest.

I'm glad to hear it and I will reciprocate. If you think I have been dishonest in the past, please identify clearly where and I will apologize appropriately. Ditto where I have been unreasonable (but don't forget to quote the context).

SansyS, I'm sorry to have upset you. I do not recall how and I certainly bear no ill will towards you.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Yes, EM is always courteous, even to me, after I have said things about him that are less than completely polite.

Sometimes, now and then, he'll come up with something that is thought-provoking and then he adds real value to the discussion.

But, as I've said to EM, it's a shame that he often comes across as talking down to readers - a bit as if he were addressing a science class of 13-year olds - presenting things that are pretty trite and obvious as if they were observations of great profundity.

Plus, when he comes up with what are essentially trivialities, he's adding noise, rather than adding value. The prolificness with which he does this annoys some readers.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Sandy S, Martin A

Sounds about right. I do tend to get involved in too many threads at once and lose track! Now I have the technology to use Discussions this might get easier.

Should I be here? I find debating with different viewpoints clarifies my thinking. Some here would probably prefer me to go away and stop my heresy.

I never quite know what level to aim for. There are people here with advanced technical education and some with none at all. Mostly I try to keep it as non-technical as possible. Old habit?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM | Unregistered CommenterEntropic man

.... as non-technical as possible. Old habit?

Maybe. non-technical arguments about technical subjects can come across as just hand-waving.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Dung - I think I remember that 'replicant' completely and absolutely buggered up one of your threads. But perhaps they have gone now?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:56 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Entropic man
A heretic amongst heretics that made me smile.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM | Unregistered CommentersandyS

Entropic Man is OK, I've said that before. He's clearly technically literate, and some of his stuff is right.

Chandra's content free and parrots SkS. He's also racist. So now I don't have anything to do with him.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

Short answer: Yes.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

"... or one and which of them?" as one would frame it in an interrogatory. Entropic Man, definitely. The arguments need to be tested. Audi alteram partem.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM | Unregistered Commenterosseo

They all add value. Or one is free to ignore them. EM can act as the front end of all climatology as long as the real supporters decline to participate and we must have a challenge to our theories or settle for an echo chamber.

Anyhow, I don't want to be judged on value-add either.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM | Registered Commenterrhoda

Dung, you still haven't told me where I've been dishonest or unreasonable (quoting context). I'm interested to know...

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

"Climate Change

So far I've missed anything from Replicant."

Perhaps I can clear up some of your perplexity. The fact is that with most of the people here it is not really possible to discuss anything since there is no understanding of common ground. For instance the complete denial of the existence of almost everything that everybody can see for themselves like chemtrails and fracking hell, (just to name two of the most obvious). Where is discussion supposed to begin when people refuse to acknowledge things which are in front of their eyes. It is a known fact that denial runs deep in humans. Then there is the added issue of separating the people who genuinely don`t know from the shills who have an interest in maintaining the deception. So you can see that before a discussion can take place an understanding of where anyone might position themselves is key. You can`t really have a discussion when huge and powerful forces (government, wall street and commercial banks, military, military industrial complex) are inherently positioned to promote their agenda and your opponent simply waves such notions away with preposterous and childish statements. So naturally genuine discussions are rare.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

Replicant - if someone wrote the following, would that represent a reasonable position?

The fact is that with most of the people here it is not really possible to discuss anything since there is no understanding of common ground. For instance the complete denial of the existence of almost everything that everybody can see for themselves like chemtrails and fracking hell failed climate model predictions, climate scientist unethical behaviour , (just to name two of the most obvious). Where is discussion supposed to begin when people refuse to acknowledge things which are in front of their eyes. It is a known fact that denial runs deep in humans. Then there is the added issue of separating the people who genuinely don`t know from the shills who have an interest in maintaining the deception. So you can see that before a discussion can take place an understanding of where anyone might position themselves is key. You can`t really have a discussion when huge and powerful forces ( government, wall street and commercial banks, military, military industrial complex Met Office, EPA, Royal Society, Universities, WWF, Greenpeace, United Nations) are inherently positioned to promote their agenda and your opponent simply waves such notions away with preposterous and childish statements. So naturally genuine discussions are rare.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Just asking: are 'chemtrails' the same thing as vapour trails from aircraft?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

Of course not. You've changed the original position to a 'fake' position by thinking that the military is separate from the government. By thinking international money, wall street business and media is somehow separate from all this. We can just strike them out and show it back to him and pretend to create a discussion about 'another' position. Ludicrous.

The fact that you position your question about chemtrails as if there was a question about them says everything. Ludicrous.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

replicant: "fracking hell" ?

What's that?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM | Registered Commenterjferguson

I may well be ludicrous but I am genuinely ignorant of 'chemtrails'. If they are simple vapour trails, I see them frequently but they do not seem to cause me any inconvenience. (I can see that they could be a nuisance to film makers). If they are something different, then that's something I am unaware of.

By making the changes above, I think I have come up with something that reflects my views to an approximation. And possibly the views of some other BH commenters too. Since it is (I believe) a mirror image of your views, I wondered if you would think it was reasonable viewpoint - at least for someone with a different mindset from yours.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I don't mean you personally. I mean the argument. As much as that distinction may mean to you. I wouldn't be able to tell how you can't have not seen chemtrails. I know lots of people on the streets haven't seen them. It's mystery. If you haven't seen them, there's no discussion. There's no discussion about confusing them with contrails. What would be more interesting to me would be why you say you can't see them. What do you hope to gain?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

What's that?

What's it sound like you think it is?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

Martin A
Try this for 'Chemtrails'!
Warning: conspiracy theory alert!

The chemtrail conspiracy theory posits that some trails left by aircraft are chemical or biological agents deliberately sprayed in the sky for purposes undisclosed to the general public and directed by various government officials.
Aye, right!

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM | Registered CommenterMike Jackson

"What would be more interesting to me would be why you say you can't see them. What do you hope to gain?"

I didn't say I *can't* see them. But to the best of my knowledge I never *have* seen them. I have never consciously heard of chemtrails.

From what you say, in infer they are visibly different from vapour trails. In that case, either we don't get them round here, or I have just not been looking at the right time.

[Or I really *can't* see them. But that would be very strange - I have normal vision.]

What do I hope to gain? Learn something new?

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

I didn't say I *can't* see them. But to the best of my knowledge I never *have* seen them. I have never consciously heard of chemtrails.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, that was mostly a typo, force of habit. But if you haven't seen them, then you can't see them, because that is pretty much all there is in the sky. Nothing of what you see are vapour trails and only portions are genuine clouds. But of course you do have to look up and you do have to reflect.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM | Unregistered Commenterreplicant

What's that?
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM | Registered Commenter jferguson

Reasonable question. Deserves a straight answer.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A

If I get you, when I see what look like vapour trails, sometimes they are genuine vapour trails and sometimes they are chemtrails
Likewise with clouds.

But there is no visible difference between vapour trails and chemtrails - I have to perform a mental process - reflection - and then it will be apparent which are which. Am I on the right track there?

But (ignoring Mike Jackson's distraction) I'm still in the dark as to what chemtrails really are.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterMartin A