Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > First responders

I've been too busy to contribute much to climate blogs this week but at the end of Thursday I took a quick look at what had been happening and was much encouraged by two threads: one on Bishop Hill and one on Watts Up With That. The reason I found? (As always this is experience mediated by interpretation.) In both cases the first comment was particularly constructive and helpful. Paul Matthews here and Pat Frank there. Thanks in passing to both.

What a difference it makes to the whole when the first responder on a thread really adds value. I've often thought this before but an occasion when I'd had to starve myself of the climate latest really drove it home.

So be careful the first person who wishes to reply here. :)

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

I'd rather have the final word.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM | Unregistered CommenterAlan Reed

Richard - since Alan Reed has put up the first comment I now feel safe. I presume the Bishop puts up his posts in more or less UK working hours. Those of us in Canada, USA, Australia, EnZed and elsewhere don't often get a chance for a first comment.
I try to read this blog daily but quite often there are 5 < comments < 30 before I start. Sometimes more and I've never opened a post with zero comments.

Not that I'd anything useful you may well say.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM | Registered CommenterGrantB

And here we go again on an orgy of useless ego discussions.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

GrantB: I would never say that. :)

Thanks for such a pleasant contribution.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM | TBYJ

Isn't everyone who posts on a blog on some sort of ego fueled trip, or is it just the rest of us?

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

RIchard Drake
On WUWT there are often interesting comments well down the list, but reading through all 200 or so can be a bit of a long job. It may be that it is selective memory, of the summers were always warmer (or cooler) kind.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM | Unregistered CommenterSandyS

Perhaps it's just you Sandy, but when I post it's for the social interaction, discussion, banter and to find out something new. I see you're taking Richard's 'side' in this, but I'm not altogether convinced he is isn't running a set of sockpuppets on this site who are always very quick to agree with any of his vanity postings.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM | Unregistered CommenterTBYJ

SandyS: I'm very sorry to discover you're my sockpuppet. The psychic trauma can I suppose only worsen as we try to extricate ourselves from this terrible situation.

Meanwhile, I can't help but agree about WUWT. I seldom read more than a few comments. But it's an incredible resource all the same - and wouldn't be the same without comments, as evidenced by how often Anthony pulls out something from that section into an update or a further post. All strength to the moderators' elbows, there and elsewhere in the freedom-loving and freedom-preserving climate blogosphere.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterRichard Drake

TBYJ
No it's all my own ego, although I do try not to insult people whilst posting (no reflection on anyone or thing on this thread apart from the insinuation that of my sockpuppetry). I also try and bear in mind one of Robert Burns sage advices when posting.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:
What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
An ev'n devotion!

The bit about blunder is unfortunately all too common in my own life.

Most threads on here have relatively few comments, most are worth reading, quite often they drift off into an interesting side discussion such how free should free speech be.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM | Unregistered CommentersandyS