Books
Click images for more details

Twitter
Support

Recent comments
Recent posts
Currently discussing
Links

A few sites I've stumbled across recently....

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > AR5 a side issue

Yes, when your arguments, the weapons of the rhetorician's trade, lie vanquished, wisdom lies in withdrawal from the battlefield. And there is always the handy "troll smokescreen" that can cover the indignity of retreat.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Ditto my 12:51 PM post :- )

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

"...ordinary Russians are softer and more liberal minded than Guardian commentators about Greepeace..."

It beggars belief I believe we have identified Chandra's age, around 16 - 20, certainly not travelled widely and certainly never met any "ordinary" Russians. I have and can tell you that their government is acting with extreme constraint in comparison to what the "ordinary" Russians would want them to dish out.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM | Unregistered Commentergeronimo

geronimo: I suggest you forget our troll and focus on the subject of this thread - "AR5 a side issue". I'll assume you live in the UK and, if so, would wish to see the Climate Change Act either repealed or substantially amended.

That's certainly my position. So how might that objective be achieved? Not, I suggest, by fighting a battle you cannot win - and trying to persuade the Establishment that the AGW hypothesis is invalid or of limited serious concern (which essentially is what debating AR5 is about) is such a battle. You may be able to "win" in logic, but - however sound your arguments - there's no prospect of winning in practice as your opponent is in total command of the battlefield. OK, you may be able to plant some doubt in the minds of some politicians and campaigners and that might be useful, although you'd still be attacked with the usual "denier", "anti-science", "consensus", etc. assertions. In other words, it cannot achieve the objective.

But I believe a case can be made that could do it. It's this: (1) even if CAGW is valid, not only are the "solutions" being imposed on us damaging (especially to the poorest and most vulnerable people in society) and potentially dangerous, but they cannot even reduce emissions as claimed; and in particular (2), because of the realities of international politics (see my comments at the beginning of this thread - Oct 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM and Oct 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM) even if they could reduce emissions substantially, they're completely pointless. In other words, the whole thing is a mad charade. And AR5 is a side issue.

And that's true whether or not AGW scares are valid.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

I hadn't noticed. Your "damaging" claim has popped up again like a zombie, even though the only evidence you can muster is environmental. So let's return that one to the grave, unless you want to compare the relative environmental harms of fossil fuels and renewables.

So that leaves the political element. Essentially your only argument is that, although there is no evidence that cutting our emissions would be a bad thing to do, you don't want to do it because we'll be the odd one out. Well even that is untrue, as efforts around Europe to cut emissions show. Even in the US, many companies are going green. And in sunny Australia, they would be mad not to adopt solar...

Your argument has no legs.

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Yawn ... back to my post at 12:51 PM on Oct 20.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Yawn, yeah it is tedious having to justify gut feelings, isn't it. I mean, if your opinion was based upon thorough and widely respected research into the likely effects of de-carbonizing the economy, it would be easy to defend. As it is, all you have is alarmist catchphrases.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

:- )

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Robin, personally, I am not willing to vacate the field and leave it open to continuing unsubstantiated claims about the science and the physical evidence. (It is probably also where my own abilities are stronger than the daily politics.)

I think you are probably right about which particular arguments may sway the majority of politicians and electorate alike. Nevertheless, there remain plenty of people who are capable of following the technical details, but have never really done so. I consider myself capable of understanding the issues, and that means there are a lot of others in a similar position. Many of them will have their own science to interest them, their own jobs to do, their own mortgages to pay, and their own families to support, but that doesn't mean they can't be persuaded by properly airing technical arguments.

The knowledge of the big failings of the computer models permeates the MSM at a glacial rate. It's now 4 years since the climate-gate emails and Kevin Trenberth's famous line about the "travesty" of all the 'missing heat'. Yet the IPCC is still trying to brush the issue under the carpet, or down into the glacially cold ocean abyss. The simple fact that temperatures are NOT shooting up as forecast is a message that is still being delivered to a lot of educated people, albeit very slowly.

As I said above, I'm not going to abandon the technical facts to a handful of political activists. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM | Unregistered Commentermichael hart

michael hart, I agree that we should each continue to fight the sceptic fight in the way that suits the individual. I think that sceptics are winning through a process of erosion. Each gust of argument has little effect but the continuous effect of thousands of voices eventually makes a difference. By sticking to what feels natural we are more persuasive than if we had a single, central message.

There's raft of articles today about the dawning realisation that we can have renewables or we can have affordable energy but we can't have both. Chandra wants proof of our claims but we only have to persuade those who are paying the bills. They don't need statistical studies or learned papers to prove that high energy costs are going to hurt, they just know it already. For those few left, who are either too idealistic or too wealthy to care, I'm quit happy that they continue to pay for renewables.

The public and their political leaders are wobbling on cutting CO2. AR5 should have been the big clincher but it was a dead duck. It offered nothing new and failed to address the questions that people are beginning to ask. The scientists are more sure of less facts than they've been since the IPCC was started. No lobbying politician wants to back a horse that's getting weaker every year.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Michael: I’m not proposing that sceptics should “vacate the field and leave it open to continuing unsubstantiated claims about the science and the physical evidence”. As I’ve said, planting doubt (about the truth of the science) in the minds of some politicians and campaigners may be useful. I hope and expect that will continue.

My point however is that sceptics have been doing this for years and, although they may have scored some notable victories (albeit away from the public gaze), change in Establishment understanding has, as you say, been glacial. And, in particular, sceptics have made no real progress towards what surely must be the priority: a change in government policy. Therefore, I suggest, a new approach is necessary.

Poll after poll has shown that people are not interested in climate change and do not see it as a priority. But, as Tiny notes, they are worried about energy costs. And it’s that worry, not sceptical argument about CAGW, that’s causing some politicians to “wobble” on cutting CO2.

I’m not proposing (TinyCO2) “a single, central message”. I am however proposing a change of emphasis: from focusing on the validity of AGW scares to showing the pointlessness of current policies, whether or not such scares are justified. And IMO current widespread concern about energy prices and energy policy could mean that such a change in emphasis would have major impact.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

One of the things I couldn't explain to Dan Kahan about sceptic success was that we comment on things that fire us up enough to put finger to keyboard. We don't fashion a communication strategy, we just communicate. So each person's emphasis is their emphasis and not some policy driven consistent message. It also shows in the difference between warmists putting forward their own feelings about AGW and those just parrotting Al Gore. People can sense when a message is from the heart and it's very persuasive. It doesn't work in the same way that 'consensus' does but it has a power of it's own. All those individuals making their own points are the revolution that Russell Brand was talking about... just not in the direction he expected.

Warmists say that deniers are the merchants of doubt, I'd say we're trying to make people think about ALL the issues, not just one part. We don't need people to absorb our ideas like a sponge, we need them to start asking questions. Each person will need their own set of queries to either become reconciled to cutting CO2 or to demand an end to CAGW foolishness. The worst option is everyone ignores it, money is piddled down the drain and CO2 continues to rise. Climate scepticism isn't a single strand, it's a thick rope. If the only problem with CAGW was the cost of paying for renewables then sceptics would have no leg to stand on. I'd be on the other side calling on the government to get on with it. But it's not the only barrier to cutting CO2. The renewables and nuclear have huge issues attatched and aren't a magic solution and the most effective way to cut CO2 is to push humanity back into poverty. Unthinkable. So cutting CO2 is not a no brainer and spurs the question 'do we really need to significantly cut CO2?' Which is where the pressure being kept on the scientific side is important. When people start asking questions, we need there to be an alternative message out there for them to start their journey.

There isn't a best front to attack. We need to keep up pressure on as many fronts as possible and hope that we awaken new sceptics along the way.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

"... the most effective way to cut CO2 is to push humanity back into poverty. Unthinkable. " - it is unthinkable and nobody would ever seriously suggest it. Ever. Nobody. Except for alarmists like you.

"... high energy costs are going to hurt..." - changing the goalposts a bit here aren't you? Earlier Robin was proposing the economic suicide line of argument, with you seemingly in a supporting role. Now, having provided no evidence for that, you have shifted to things "hurting", which is an improvement over suicide anyway.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

Chandra, what is it about unilaterally increasing raw material costs equalling less sales that you don't understand?

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

TinyCO2: you put it well. And, to an extent, I agree with you. But do you really think the sceptics have been successful – in any more than the narrowest sense of “success”? Consider what the warmists have achieved: they’ve captured and totally occupied the political, academic, institutional and media Establishment throughout the Western world and have thereby enacted, especially in Europe, legislation with extraordinarily far reaching and deleterious consequences. What “success” have sceptics achieved to set against that?

There may not be “a best front to attack”, but at present almost the only attack sceptics are attempting is their challenge to the validity of the CAGW hypothesis. And that’s an attack on the very place where the warmists have built the strongest defences. Not because they’re right, but because they’ve had over 20 years to develop their “denier”, “consensus”, “anti-science”, etc. counter attacks. And they’re undeniably effective, however much sceptic arguments may come “from the heart”.

You suggest that the question ‘do we really need to significantly cut CO2?’ demonstrates why keeping the pressure on the scientific side matters. I disagree. Yes, it’s important if, by “we”, you mean humanity – and that’s a matter of academic rather than practical interest. But, if your “we’ is the UK, you’re dealing with a basic practicality: the pointlessness of UK policy when countries responsible for over 70% of global emissions have no intention of making significant cuts. And, if there is to be any hope of changing policy, that’s surely the optimum “we” to focus on. Not least because it’s where the warmists are most vulnerable. And unable to deploy their well-honed counter attacks.

PS: DNFTT

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

The warmist side gained all that success when many of us weren't looking. They achieved it before we had an idea that CAGW might not be true and hadn't thought about how much significant CO2 reduction would cost us or even if it's possible at all. So we need others to start along the path we've already taken. It won't happen over night. We just don't have the man power to wage war, so we can only skirmish. No one comment on an AGW article will change the mind of someone influential, but hundreds of comments on every major article? People are more likely to post regularly if they're not restricted. MPs are affected by public opinion… eventually. Who knows what someone might write that chimes with a previously closed mind? It might be one of Josh’s cartoons or a snarky comment made by Delingpole or a graph somebody emails their boss.Think of all the things that started happening once sceptics got together.

Recently I've seen scepticism in people who previously lapped up every alarmist message. People who previously kept their heads down now feel they have enough support to voice their concerns. News papers are beginning to get bold about what and whom they publish. Would all that happen if it wasn't for an army of supportive little voices popping up on the net?

One of the reasons why I take some time to converse with people like Chandra is because you never know who’s reading. Who might be out there with the same question and waiting for a sensible answer? The more that Chandra messes about with questions people instinctively know the answer to and the more sensible are our replies, the more likely someone passing through will favour our side. It’s also a way of practicing the answers for use in more visible locations. I know that Real Climate’s treatment of sceptic comments wins them no converts, let’s dare to be different. Perhaps the answer is to create specific threads for the ‘trolls’ so that answers can be directed there, rather than the thread they’re disrupting. Who knows, we might gain some insight into what the differences between warmists and sceptics are?

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

TinyCO2: once again you make some excellent points. But I have to repeat my question: what “success” have sceptics achieved to set against the extraordinary achievements of the warmists? It isn’t just that the sceptics were late starters – they’ve really achieved little of importance even in the past few years. But, although I agree there have been many small successes, my point is that they have been small.

I recently posted something on Unthreaded that arguably illustrates both your point and mine. Last week the following excellent, succinct letter was published in The Times:

In the midst of the climate debate, no one seems openly to state the obvious. In 2011, the latest available statistic shows that Britain’s CO2 emission was just 6% of China’s. It is also reported that China is increasing that emission by some 9% per annum and that it plans an increase of some 450 new coal-fired power stations, burning 1.2 billion extra tons of coal annually. Whatever one believes about global warming, Britain’s contribution is only two-thirds of China’s annual increase. Damaging our ability to compete, raising the cost of energy by closing our coal-fired power stations won’t make any measurable difference.

Bruce Mein, Parbrook, Somerset

Its message (essentially my message above) is telling. And The Times selected it, from the thousands it gets every day, for publication. An illustration, if you like, of newspapers getting rather more bold about this issue. But what was even more significant was that I saw it, not in The Times, but in the Week which selected it for their “Pick of the week’s correspondence”. (And published it incidentally under the heading, “Keep coal-fired power”.) BTW I contacted Mr Mein to congratulate him – he hadn’t heard of Bishop Hill or Andrew Montford.

You say, "we don’t have the manpower to wage war". But history has demonstrated that the side with the least power can win a war - think Vietnam. And it's done so by focusing (as Mr Mein has done) on the enemy’s weakest point. Surely you agree that more of the same could be very effective?

I wholly agree with you about the various benefits of conversing with the likes of Chandra, and agree about the value of daring to be different. And you’ll have noticed I hope that, in his case, I did so for some time. But eventually it became a waste of time: see my posts at 7:18AM and 12:51PM on Oct 20.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Success is not what we've achieved but what might have happened if we weren't around.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

TinyCO2 you said that "unilaterally increasing raw material costs" means less sales. You seem to think that this is a statement of fact. And if we were talking about a sudden doubling of energy costs, it might be. But energy costs are only one of many costs that businesses and people bear. And as with, for example, the cost of employing people, there are actions companies and people can take to avoid the cost (using less). In contrast, other costs, such as many taxes, cannot be reduced. If energy costs rise gradually along with other changes to the economy then it is not at all clear that sales, and by extension the economy, must suffer.

Interestingly, if we moved all "green taxes" onto general taxation they would become indistinguishable from (and only a tiny fraction of) all other government taxes and borrowing. They might be distributed slightly differently, but they would not disappear and they would be much harder to avoid.

Robin, you invoked the "troll defense" because your arguments didn't stand up to scrutiny. You were quite happy to talk to me while you still thought your argument had legs.

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM | Unregistered CommenterChandra

TinyCO2: hmm ... well it couldn't have been much worse than the Climate Change Act. Although I suppose I have to admit that an Ed Miliband government (quite likely I suspect) could make it worse. Here's an extract from his conference speech:

The environment is a passion of mine because when I think about my two kids who are 2 and 4 at the moment and not talking that much about the environment, more interested in The Octonauts. There’s a plug. In 20 years’ time they’ll say to me ‘were you the last generation not to get climate change or the first generation to get it?’ That is the question they’ll be asking. But it is not just about environmental care. It is also about the jobs we create in the future. You see some people say, including George Osborne, that we can’t afford to have environmental at a time like this. He is dead wrong. We can’t afford not to have an environmental commitment at a time like this. That is why Labour will have a world leading commitment in government to take all of the carbon out of our energy by 2030. A route map to one million new green jobs in our country. That is how we win the race to the top.
[My emphases]

What's the best way of countering this? Might it be another debate about climate sensitivity ... or perhaps the iniquities of "consensus" claims? Or might it be better to point out that affecting world leadership when no one is interested in following is pathetic? Remember: the next General Election will be held in 2015 - the same year as the "pivotal" UN climate change meeting in Paris (COP21) which, according to this is

the time and place to finally sign an international treaty requiring all nations to begin reducing carbon emissions by 2020, supplanting the Kyoto Protocol, adopted in 1997 at the COP3 climate conference, that targeted only industrialized nations for mandatory cuts.
Does anyone not living in dreamland really believe that this time the emerging economic giants (not classed as industrialised under Kyoto) will accept "mandatory cuts"?

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Further to my post above, the hitherto "green" FT has a remarkable editorial this morning - also accessible here. An extract:

If Britain never adequately reckoned with the cost of its carbon commitments, it may also have been too optimistic about the benefits. The country accounts for less than 2 per cent of world emissions. The heroic reductions that are planned will have a negligible effect on global temperatures.

This would be true even if the UK’s moderation were not offset by intemperance elsewhere. In fact, investment in energy-intensive industries is already being drawn to countries such as the US where costs are lower. Britain may end up exporting emissions – and jobs – to countries that have shunned such onerous environmental commitments. The halting progress towards a global carbon pact provides scant vindication for those who thought that where Britain led, others would follow.

Politicians portray these policies as the inevitable consequence of legally binding commitments. Such wilful naivety gives an unintended meaning to Prime Minister David Cameron’s pledge to lead the greenest government ever. If the UK’s environmental policy is defensible, it should be defended. If not, the government should repeal or renegotiate the laws and treaties in which these commitments are enshrined.

[My emphases]

Maybe the "pointlessness" message is getting through.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

Chandra, start your own thread and I'll reply to you.

Robin, our current predicament is not solely based on CAGW obsession, it's more a symptom of a wider disease. Chandra unwittingly puts a finger on it. We're living beyond our means on countless fronts. Want something - no problem just borrow money and have it. It doesn't matter if you're about to lose your job or are becoming hopelessly uncompetative, or even if you'll lose interest in the thing next week, just spend, spend, spend. It'll turn out ok in the end. Yeah, tell that to the Wonga generation.

If we concentrate on the fact that current renewables are rubbish, then we will always be vulnerable to the next generation which are always 'guaranteed to work'. If we stick to the argument that acting alone is pointless then they nutters can argue that we should set an example. If we use both arguments then the comeback is we need to do SOMETHING because CAGW is so dangerous. If we concentrate on the science then they claim that renewables will replace the ever rising cost of fossil fuels. Unfortunately we have to counter every front, hoping that one by one the arguments will filter into key minds.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Tiny: hmm, I think you're stretching your point somewhat. It seems to me that the FT editorial is an indication of an important change in the air. Only a beginning of course - but it's a beginning brought about, not by debates about the science, but by a hard look at the practicalities of what's going on. But, in any case, I'm not - as I keep saying - suggesting that you should stop the debate about the science. Merely that a change of emphasis is likely to be more effective.

I attended a talk by Steve McIntyre in London on 16 August last year. Steve, who is it seems an agnostic re CAGW, made an observation that is, I suggest, relevant to this thread. Here's the note I made at the meeting:

He noted (1) that China’s GHG emissions will be double US emissions in 2012, and (2) that, in the past 5 to 6 years, China has increased its emissions by an amount equal to the USA’s total emissions (now maybe close to 1990 levels). That, he said, is the reality of what’s happening (in China, India, etc.) and it means that one of the IPCC “base cases” for GHG emissions and its consequence will be what happens. He said, “You have to assume that the IPCC advice is accurate. That doesn’t leave a whole lot of [room for] for manoeuvre.” Yet the “entire rationale” of Western policymakers has been to simply ignore this. He commented, “We must hope the sceptics are right”. The truth, he said, is that nobody really knows what to do, although building resistance to extremes is one obvious action. Then, having noted that “acts of petty virtue” (great phrase) have no point ("Even if you install windmills you're not going to change the trend of overall CO2 emissions"), he suggested that another useful focus might be on developing (or discovering) Bill Gates’s “miracle technology**, i.e. viable energy without CO2 emission.

** Something difficult but not impossible.

I liked particularly his "hope the sceptics are right" (I agree) and his "acts of petty virtue".

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier

I don't disagree with you that the science isn't the most powerful argument. I'm saying that the other areas of attack have value too. If there are people who are keen to attack the science but unexcited about debating the economics, are they better off changing tactics and getting bored or sticking with what fires them but not focusing on the weakest point? It seems to me that the biggest problem the warmists have is a bored and uncommitted following.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM | Unregistered CommenterTinyCO2

Well, Tiny, maybe we're not so far apart.

I don't know whether the sceptics are right or not - although I suspect they are and, like Steve M, I certainly hope they are. But I do agree with today's FT:

The losers from this shambolic energy policy are more numerous than the struggling households that are rightly at the centre of political concern. The prosperity of a generation is at risk. Britain cannot afford to hobble itself with overly high energy costs as it embarks on the road to recovery.
And I have no doubt that that message is the one to hammer home.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM | Registered CommenterRobin Guenier